What's new

My RT-AC5400 is requiring more frequent reboots should I do the M&M or nuclear reset?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Williamthe5thc

Occasional Visitor
Hi all! I have used this forum to solve some problems in the past and it’s been a great help to me!! I remember reading about a M&M and the sanitize network and nuclear option. I think I found the post and was reading it, but I can’t remember the stipulations behind it or when to run…

I’m hoping to have my RT-AC5400 EDIT: it’s actually a RT-AC5300 asus router last me till next year for WiFi 7 standard to come out and buy a new router to last another four or five years. However recently the internet has been dropping and requiring me to restart the router. I’m hoping to like sanitize or otherwise clean the router so it doesn’t require a restart.

Side note: I have a second router plugged into it downstairs that has a bunch of cement or other radio wave blocking materials and the WiFi is not good down there…

Last edited:
Oh also it’s running Merlin firmware 386.12 let me know if/what I should post… I’m not much of an advanced user by any means… I just know a little bit, but enough to run basic troubleshooting etc. To be the home router IT guy. (Partially because I like the internet)

Factory Reset with initialize settings followed by a manual configuration should be enough. No need to go nuclear.

The Nuclear reset is needed when the hardware is not performing as it should after a single reset (see first link below). However, given how simple and straightforward it is, it doesn't hurt to do it to ensure the hardware isn't the likely culprit when the router doesn't seem to be in a good/known state.

The M&M configuration is always recommended. These are not identical or equivalent to each other.

Nuclear Reset https://www.snbforums.com/threads/major-issues-w-rt-ac86u.56342/page-4#post-495710

Additional links that may be helpful.

Is there any drawbacks to going nuclear…? (Aside from a slight time consuming) Also I'm going to assume that even though your nuclear tutorial has a different model, it still applies right?)
The Nuclear reset is needed when the hardware is not performing as it should after a single reset (see first link below). However, given how simple and straightforward it is, it doesn't hurt to do it to ensure the hardware isn't the likely culprit when the router doesn't seem to be in a good/known state.

The M&M configuration is always recommended. These are not identical or equivalent to each other.

Nuclear Reset https://www.snbforums.com/threads/major-issues-w-rt-ac86u.56342/page-4#post-495710

Additional links that may be helpful.

Last edited:
No drawbacks at all, IME. That is my default when I work on a new router (or previously set up one that exhibits random glitches).

Yes, I've used the same procedures with multiple models with great results.

No drawbacks at all, IME. That is my default when I work on a new router (or previously set up one that exhibits random glitches).

Yes, I've used the same procedures with multiple models with great results.
alrighty! I'll try and see if all the network users are ok without internet for an hour or so (so i can read figure it out and implement it and change it etc. hopefully less time than that)

I won't get to it right this second, but I'll start reading and then ask them (and if IRL stuff comes up hahha)

Ok, they need the router, perhaps I can get the 2 minutes of down time later... or I might wait till tonight to do the full hour. they have the radio switch off at 11 every night so I'll be able to do it then!

It all seems to make sense, except step 9
"Before you go customizing the router any further, I would recommend following the beginning part of the amtm Step-by-Step guide to have a spare USB drive properly formatted, and used with a swap file. Do not add any other scripts yet through amtm until the router has proved stable to this point."
Essentially all I'm planning to do is restrict two devices, and have the radio toggle off at 11 PM and 6 AM every day and possibly turn down the signal strength . Would I still need to do that...? or could I skip it because it seems like i'm not customizing the router at all...

If I had a second router (because the WiFi doesn't reach well to the bottom of the house) connected via ethernet cord and broadcasting at a different SSID, would that work just fine and not cause any interruptions...? (which mode should I put the 2nd router in?)

Ok, they need the router, perhaps I can get the 2 minutes of down time later... or I might wait till tonight to do the full hour. they have the radio switch off at 11 every night so I'll be able to do it then!

It all seems to make sense, except step 9

Essentially all I'm planning to do is restrict two devices, and have the radio toggle off at 11 PM and 6 AM every day and possibly turn down the signal strength . Would I still need to do that...? or could I skip it because it seems like i'm not customizing the router at all...

If I had a second router (because the WiFi doesn't reach well to the bottom of the house) connected via ethernet cord and broadcasting at a different SSID, would that work just fine and not cause any interruptions...? (which mode should I put the 2nd router in?)
Save the time. Factory reset or Hard Factory reset with initialize is sufficient. Nuclear process is bull...

Yes I did mean the RT-AC5300 that was a novice mistake. I copied it down wrong. But have confirmed from the splash page that is the correct one.

I was thinking of cleaning it of the past network or other issues… to try and reinvigorate it.

How is the factory reset in the GUI different from the link you posted about the WPS reset …?

They do the same thing. But if you can't get access to the GUI (e.g. forgotten password) you can use the WPS method instead.
ok sweet! i have access to the GUI and can do that.
Read Asus official documents and skip waste of time "procedures".
I mean yes, but aren't those written for non technical folk? or in other words there is procedures to do that are NOT listed in official documentation (because they don't want to explain it...) that's my hesitation with ONLY doing that.

I mean yes, but aren't those written for non technical folk? or in other words there is procedures to do that are NOT listed in official documentation (because they don't want to explain it...) that's my hesitation with ONLY doing that.
Technical or non-technical, that is the reset procedure. There's no secret other method. Don't overthink this.

@Williamthe5thc, read the Nuclear Reset post I provided above. It is not a waste of time. It has brought back more than a handful of routers back from the recycle pile (or, helped my customers not have to buy another router).

There are several examples on this forum where this worked. Long before I compiled the posts/guides I've made. I didn't make this up, this was already proven to work for many, but having read the entire forum when I joined (and having kept up since) I've compiled what are the best practices for new users to follow.

All the suggestions made by others above are everything I've posted already for you. The Nuclear Reset is just the same thing done multiple times, using different reset methods, while flashing the same firmware onto the router. The point of it is this: if after you have performed these steps faithfully, and the router is still doing weird, then it is most likely a hardware problem.

If you listen to the others above, you may be resetting your router many times before you actually do the Nuclear reset to finally believe it is a hardware issue (assuming the issues continue for you, but I hope they don't, of course).

Not only do these methods work for me and others, but they also cost nothing but a few minutes of your time to perform.

Your call.

But by now, you would already know if the process I outlined above in my previous posts worked, or, if the hardware is the most likely failure here.

Don't overthink this. Action is what is needed now.

"Gary, by the way, why are we rebooting the router 3 times in 15 minutes?"

1695777069496.png

Ceremonial, best practices, whatever.

What's the best practice to reboot 3 times in 15min if I choose to wait 10min between reboots and want to complete the process in just few minutes?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!