What's new

my storage server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jay_S

Regular Contributor
The inspiration for this build. This is the culmination of way too many hours of research, and represents what I consider the best bang-for-the-buck for a simple, cost-effective, and expandable storage server.

This is a storage server for streaming video to my HTPC. Requirements were:
1) very low power consumption
2) relatively inexpensive
3) high SATA port density
4) PCIe gigabit NIC
5) ability to potentially use a SATA controller in the PCIe 16 slot

Components

Motherboard: Biostar A760G-M2+
This is the cheapest MB that I found that offers the following features:
1) 6 sata ports onboard
2) supports ECC memory (seriously - how awesome is that!)
3) can accept non-video cards in the PCIe-16 slot
4) onboard video can be UNDER-clocked
I have all unnecessary features disabled (sound, serial, parallel, etc.), the CPU under-volted, the on-board video under-clocked.

CPU: AMD 4050e
Sadly discontinued, this 45W TDP dual core CPU is overkill for unRAID. Shooting for lowest power, I tried disabling CNQ and manually lowering the multiplier as low as possible - system idle power consumption was identical to just leaving CNQ enabled and letting it scale as needed.

RAM: Kingston 2x1GB DDR2-533 ECC
Cheap and slow.

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-400CX
It's a little overkill now (see power consumption measurements below). It was selected primarily for future expansion, and because:
1) It's 80+ efficient @ 20% = 80W
2) Has SIX SATA + SIX MOLEX HDD power connectors
3) It's constantly on sale
4) It measures very well.

HDD's: Western Digital WD10EADS
I have three of these. Two data, one parity. They're very quiet, very low-powered, stay cool, fast sequential transfer rates - great for network storage.

Case: Coolermaster Centurion 590
Nine external 5.25" bays for loading it up with back planes or 4-in-3's, inexpensive, decent quality, and 17.5" high (so it can be shelved horizontally inside a standard 19" rack cabinet). This was the least expensive case with 9 external bays I found. Comes with one 4-in-3 HDD adapter.

OS: unRAID basic licensehttp://www.lime-technology.com/joomla/ (the free one, limited to 3 drives).

Power consumption measured using Kill-a-watt:
  • Startup Peak: 88 W
  • Idle, all drives spun up: 48 W
  • Idle, all drives spun down: 39 W
  • Parity Check: 69 W

Network transfer speeds are nothing special. Because of the way unRAID works (parity calcs), transfers TO the server are slow - averaging around 20MB/s. Transfer speeds FROM the server depend on the host OS. Using WinXP transfers peak around 45MB/s. My limited testing with Win7 RC showed around 90MB/s (which is about the limit of a WD10EADS HDD).

Thanks for looking-