What's new

My WiFi Journey; Is it worth it to open up the AC86U I just bought?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

axbeet

Occasional Visitor
I had an AC56U on far side of house, and a Linksys WRT54G as a cabled AP on opposite side. 2000 ft^2 bungalow with about 65 to 70 feet between routers. Occasionally wifi was dropping out. For me, stable Wifi is more important than speed, as the best internet connection I can get at my acreage is about 40 Mbps, and I don't imagine that is going to improve for years.

Yesterday, I began experimenting to see if I could run everything with one router as I suspected "sticky wifi" was the reason I was dropping internet (thank you to old forum posts for pointing me down this path!). After some testing, I convinced myself it was possible to run everything off one router if the router was centralized. I pulled cables, and installed the AC56U centrally. The WRT54G was disconnected. If anyone is wondering, the AC56U has far superior coverage on 2.4 GHz as compared to the WRT54G based on WIFI analyzer readings. So far, I think the new set up is working OK. The worst signal I get is about -65 to -67 on 2.4 GHz and that is in a bedroom where the only device we might use is a phone and it wouldn't be the end of the world if we had to move for better reception or use cell data. All work computers are on ethernet. Just laptops, google homes, alexa's, etc on wifi.

While I was at the store, I bought an AC86U which was on boxing day sale for $149 Canadian. I haven't opened it and I suspect I should return it. I really want to find a way to justify this expense and I thought I would ask the forum what the benefits of this router might be over the AC56U? I suspect it would have better WIFI coverage due to beam forming and external antennas, but I haven't been able to find any direct comparisons. I'm not running a VPN. I suspect the AC86U might give me sufficient signal that the 5 GHz might work throughout the house, but I'm not sure I gain much when our internet is so slow. We don't do much networking between devices. Thoughts on ways to justify this expense or is the smart money to return it?

Wow. I have not run a WRT54G in years! Am not surprised that it is still working, though.

Benefits of the AC86U? Here are just a few - 64 bit OS - Great Asus firmware (as well as custom Merlin firmware) - Dual Band Smart Connect - AiProtect - quite good adaptive QOS - DNS over TLS (DoT which is DNS security) and overall it is a great router although a bit aged in the hardware area. If you search enough you will find that there were component heating issues a while back which have been fixed. I recently gave mine to some friends that had an old 2.4 GHz router that barely covered their house. The AC86U reached out 65 feet to their garage.

You got that for a good price. Use it!

The new router is easily 10x the router you have now. For $149, you'll get better coverage, higher throughput, and higher level of security too.

Remember that you can still use the RT-AC56U as a Media Bridge too, for any wired clients that may benefit.

The RT-AC56U was a great little router, 8 or so years ago. The RT-AC86U is the younger, stronger, faster, and better big brother.

Unless you can get an RT-AX68U or an RT-AX86U for a cost difference that you're willing to pay, the RT-AC86U is still one of the best routers today.

The AC56U is end-of-life and won’t be getting any (security) firmware updates.

Next to all other advantages already mentioned, this would (for me) be a reason to start using the AC86U.

(BTW: I use an AC86U as my main router and am very happy with it)

Thanks Folks. I opened up the box and I'm glad I did. It's very impressive how much better the signal is with the AC86U as compared to the AC56U. I took a bunch of readings using WiFi Analyzer with the AC56U at different places in the house and then compared it to the AC86U. At the outreaches of my house, I am seeing improvements of 13 dBm on the 2.4 GHz! The smallest improvement was 3 dBm. I wasn't paying much attention to the 5 GHz before this as it really wasn't a legitimate option with the AC56U except when you were very close to it. However, with the AC86U, I think I have useable 5 GHz coverage throughout the house. The lowest 5 GHz signal is -63 dBm.

Great way to bring in the new year! :D