What's new

N56U Padavan Wireless Bridge won't update IP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

felixdd

Occasional Visitor
So my architecture is that I have a AC1900 converted to AC68U, on Merlin as my main router upstairs.

I also have a secondary router downstairs set up as a wireless bridge (AP-Client) without repeater function. It's only connected to my HTPC/file server. This way I can send a wake-on-lan packet to turn it on/off via VPN, and access my files when I'm out of the house.

I have a N56U with Padavan installed. I have the main router's DHCP assign it a static IP of 192.168.0.2. However, the N56U insists on using the IP it first started out with -- 192.168.0.143.

If I force Padavan to take a static IP, it works.

To test, I changed the main router's DHCP table for other devices. I've even set up a N66U as a wireless bridge (Merlin) and I was successful in changing its client IP without issue. So that suggests to me that it's an issue with Padavan not renegotiating its IP.

I shouldn't have to do this, right? Why isn't it negotiating a new IP? How can I force it to flush its DHCP table and to grab a new IP?

Have you tried just clearing NVRAM and reconfiguring it?

I just have a feeling that all the ‘alternate modes’ ie. any mode that is not ‘wireless router’ are laden with subtle bugs like this because they are less tested.

Figured it out. For some reason, in the N56U's Wireless Info tab, the 2.4GHz radio MAC address us AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:1E (something like that). The main router sees the N56U identify itself using address, but setting a static IP to it is ineffective.

BUT, in the N56U's Network Map tab, the MAC address is listed as AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:1D (last letter different). The main router does not see the N56U identify itself as this MAC. But if I manually enter this MAC and give it the IP, then the correct IP is assigned.

Even weirder still, in the main router's info page, it still lists that bridge as having the 1E MAC address, even though the IP is assigned to the 1D MAC address.

Reactions: kfp
Even weirder still, in the main router's info page, it still lists that bridge as having the 1E MAC address, even though the IP is assigned to the 1D MAC address.

So which MAC is shown if you SSH in and run ifconfig?

Anecdotally, I vaguely remember seeing a patch for this in Merlin’s fork.