What's new

n66u packet loss

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MasterBash

Regular Contributor
So I recently noticed packet loss on my Asus n66u. I decided to test my equipment and using winmtr for 5000 packets at 1 second internet gave me 2% packet loss on wired, 0.2% packet loss on wireless (2.4ghz, i blame the 30 APs) and 0% on 5ghz.

So wired is clearly a problem. However, here is something thats leaving me scratching my head.

I get absolutely no packet loss pinging my router (192.168.1.1) when the WAN cable is not connected. As soon as I connect the WAN cable, despite everything else being the same, I start getting packet loss (2%).

I am confused what could be causing this. Any idea? Is it time to buy another router? I am using shibby.

It doesnt happen on wireless. It feels like there is some confusion between the switches and WAN port once the WAN cable is plugged in. I dont know how the circuit is inside, but that could be it.

EDIT: Sorry, meant to post in the N forum.

Last edited:
Unless there is a noticeable impact being caused by the packet loss, then I wouldn't worry about it. The packet loss probably has nothing to do with the router itself, but the source of your internet from your ISP. The best way to truly test for packet loss is to connect directly to your modem through an ethernet cable. If you find no packet loss coming from your modem directly then you aren't having any packet loss.

Last edited: