What's new

N66U - Shocking 2.4Ghz performance all firmwares 3.0.0.3.151 and above ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I found out that my Intel 5100 WiFi adapter was a draft n device; after installing a USB stick that was no draft device I can connect with a maximum of 270Mbps - but never 300Mbps no matter how close I am even at 500mW.
That max link rate is normal for some adapters. Don't worry about it.

Link rate is only one factor that determines actual throughput. I pay attention to it only when determining whether devices are operating in 20 MHz or 40MHz mode during testing.

Sadly I had to find out that the 5100 device wasn't the reason it didn't work: I can only use a few channels on my device whereas on my FRITZ!Box 7270 or Telekom Speedport W723V & Speedport W504V it works flawlessly with every channel.

On the nonfunctioning channels it stays on 300Mbps but once data has been requested, e.g. by clicking on a website link or Youtube video, it always drops down by hopping (algorithm which goes to lowest integer) fast from one connection speed to lowest at 1Mbps.

I'm so disappointed here; did I waste my money with this?

I'm so disappointed here; did I waste my money with this?

Have you considered trying Tomato or DD-WRT? I run tomato on my n66u and it supports 3g usb modems. You'd probably have to check to make sure yours is specifically supported as I don't use the feature. But it's worth a shot I think since you're having so much trouble.

If you do decide you want to try tomato, I currently run build 097 from shibby's mod. Avoid 099 and 100 for now as several users have noted memory leaks in those 2 builds.

I didn't have any problems out of Asus's firmware other than the sluggish feel of the web interface and I also used a couple of merlins builds which were fantastic additions. I just wanted a couple features from tomato.

Have you considered trying Tomato or DD-WRT? I run tomato on my n66u and it supports 3g usb modems. You'd probably have to check to make sure yours is specifically supported as I don't use the feature. But it's worth a shot I think since you're having so much trouble.

I didn't have any problems out of Asus's firmware other than the sluggish feel of the web interface and I also used a couple of merlins builds which were fantastic additions. I just wanted a couple features from tomato.

Well first of all this is not about using a modem or getting it work on the RT-N66Ul; it is solemnly about its horrible WLAN-performance. I also tried Tomato and tried erasing the NVRAM, but only a few WLAN channels work and even if - not stable.

Best results I'm getting with upper side band (300Mbps but dropping to 150Mbps immediately instead of 270, 243, etc. when interference occurs which doesn't happen on my FRITZ!Box 7270)- on the lower channels the best I can get is 1Mbps, which isn't the case for the same channels on any other device.

So, broken?

Since about every one is getting better wifi performance out of the RT-N66U than competitive products, I wouldn't rule out a defective router, or your wifi card requiring a driver update.

I seem to have found out what causes the poor performance of the RT-N66U in Europe: With the help of inSSIDer, I could see that the reason for the link quality drops from 300Mbps directly to 150Mbps (instead of maybe 270Mbps or 243Mbps) are a reduction in the routers transmit power to about half the dBm level.

I guess it's because ASUS implemented the in Europe obligatory TPC (802.11h) in a bad way - it should just regulate transmit power but causes the link to drop immediately to about half the WiFi-performance.

As for the strange algorithm that was a for loop for what it seems down to 1Mbps it somehow - mysteriously - stopped on the upper bands at least; clearly firmware issues.

Interesting Huskypaw!

My Asus RT-AC66U does exactly the same in Europe. It almost consequently connects with half data rate on 2.4Ghz 300Mbps becomes 150 and 150Mbps becomes 75Mbps.

Buggy, buggy, buggy firmware! Even worse is that is on such essential parts that the firmware fails. In most companies such a product would be far from shipping and I honestly do not get why Asus feel they can get away such a crippled product.