What's new

N66U wifi cut out on .55

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kayakj

Regular Contributor
I have an N66u that has had the wifi cutting out ( mostly the 5ghz) since upgrading to .55. I leave the settings mostly untouched besides selecting the channels, disabling WPS, setting up the DDNS and using a USB HD with Aicloud.

When the wifi works its fantastic and I am getting >150mbps. The issue is that one or two times a day the wifi will just drop for a few minutes or more and then randomly come back or require a router reset. It happens mostly on the 5ghz but occasionally on the 2.4ghz also. This occurs with many different devices connected to the wifi

The system log shows no issues.

When I upgraded from the previous version of the router firmware I did a factory reset so its not from previous firmware changes.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas how to to troubleshoot the issue?

Make sure you are using a fixed channel rather than leaving it on Auto. Also try to avoid using DFS channels if possible, as your right might have to back out whenever it detects radar activity.

Thanks for the reply.

Which channels are DFS?

Recently Ive tried limiting the 2.4 to 20mhz bandwidth and channel 6 ( best channel in my building), while the 5ghz is set to 40mhz bandwidth and has been tried on channel 149 and 153. None of these configurations seem to make the signal any more stable.

Thanks for the reply.

Which channels are DFS?

Recently Ive tried limiting the 2.4 to 20mhz bandwidth and channel 6 ( best channel in my building), while the 5ghz is set to 40mhz bandwidth and has been tried on channel 149 and 153. None of these configurations seem to make the signal any more stable.

Channels 149 and 153 are fine (they're not DFS-controlled).

Any other thoughts or ideas about how to stabilize wifi then? At this point i don't believe the issues are due to interference but are due to the router hanging for some reason and becoming unresponsive. I was debating going in and doing a factory reset of the settings and re-setting it up again to see if that helps. Is the best way to do a factory reset/ wiping the NVRAM through the admin tab in the GUI or is there a better/ more complete way to wipe all of the settings?

You can try a factory default reset through the reset button, then manually reconfigure it.

If only one band drops, then I'd suspect either interference, or the radio starting to give out. Make sure your antennas are all well screwed in.