What's new

NAS recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you all for your opinions and advices. I am searching for a 871 model in my country, I wasn't able to find one store selling this. In fact, from what I see, QNAP is not very popular, sold here, probably due to the price. I can find any model of Synology but no Qnap x71 family.

My current "nas" is a powerfull desktop with i7, with 5 HDDs in it, some of them are in RAID mirror. The real disappointment last days was to see that some of my important data, stored on RAID is corrupted due to NTFS problems. So I need first a NAS on which I can rely, and I need one fast :)

During the researche I've done in the past weeks, I saw the results of a test, comparing the time to rebuild a raid 5, after a disk is lost. Well, the i3 CPU is doing this task much faster than an Atom CPU. So this is a clear advantage of an i CPU in any nas, from my point of view this is a selling point of Qnap.

Coming back to my requirements:
- the virtual machines are going to run on my laptop or on my desktop. So I don't think I need CPU power to run virtual images on the nas
- I will use the nas for data storage, this is my first requirement, this is why I'm looking to buy an 8 disk nas.
- currently I have a PS3 and an Apple TV as media servers. I'm playing multimedia files with the PS3 (I'm running PS3 Media server on the PC), I want to use it also in the future.
- the data volume stored on my nas will be pretty big, indeed I will not have a huge data volume transferred daily, but when I'll need it I want to copy the data fast, or to find it and access it fast.
- I've used the demos for both Synology and Qnap, Qnap interface I find it to be better (at least for me),to have less delays in the interface comparing with it with the Synology one.
- very important for me: data encryption. I plan to encrypt the data I'm storing on my nas, so I'm not very sure if an Atom CPU will do the job well in this situation.

Thank you all for your opinions and advices. I am searching for a 871 model in my country, I wasn't able to find one store selling this. In fact, from what I see, QNAP is not very popular, sold here, probably due to the price. I can find any model of Synology but no Qnap x71 family.

My current "nas" is a powerfull desktop with i7, with 5 HDDs in it, some of them are in RAID mirror. The real disappointment last days was to see that some of my important data, stored on RAID is corrupted due to NTFS problems. So I need first a NAS on which I can rely, and I need one fast :)

During the researche I've done in the past weeks, I saw the results of a test, comparing the time to rebuild a raid 5, after a disk is lost. Well, the i3 CPU is doing this task much faster than an Atom CPU. So this is a clear advantage of an i CPU in any nas, from my point of view this is a selling point of Qnap.

Coming back to my requirements:
- the virtual machines are going to run on my laptop or on my desktop. So I don't think I need CPU power to run virtual images on the nas
- I will use the nas for data storage, this is my first requirement, this is why I'm looking to buy an 8 disk nas.
- currently I have a PS3 and an Apple TV as media servers. I'm playing multimedia files with the PS3 (I'm running PS3 Media server on the PC), I want to use it also in the future.
- the data volume stored on my nas will be pretty big, indeed I will not have a huge data volume transferred daily, but when I'll need it I want to copy the data fast, or to find it and access it fast.
- I've used the demos for both Synology and Qnap, Qnap interface I find it to be better (at least for me),to have less delays in the interface comparing with it with the Synology one.
- very important for me: data encryption. I plan to encrypt the data I'm storing on my nas, so I'm not very sure if an Atom CPU will do the job well in this situation.

Great to hear from you. It is refreshing to have you nail the CPU debate to the coffin, in clearing the air in the fact that you indeed need the horsepower.

You're absolutely right. I've stated this several times in that a petty Atom CPU is worthless when it comes to anything performance related.

As for your quest in finding a TVS-871 unit, have you tried looking online? You'll find much better prices online as I did when purchasing my 871 and 671 units. I'm not sure what country you're in, but I do realized that shipping may be a factor if it's too high.

I use a RAID 5 set up and have been for years. Although it only has one parity disk, I've only had to rebuild my array only once due to a faulty drive. However, it was able to rebuild it just fine as I had a cold spare standing by. It took a little while, but 100% of my data remained intact....

Keep in touch...I'm curious how things go for you....

Good luck!

I was not able to find that model online in my country. Only if I will put an order online, abroad, but the cost with transportation will not be so small. So maybe I will wait until December when I'll do a short holiday in Austria, or I will buy a different model or a Synology.

I was not able to find that model online in my country. Only if I will put an order online, abroad, but the cost with transportation will not be so small. So maybe I will wait until December when I'll do a short holiday in Austria, or I will buy a different model or a Synology.

Oh I see. Hmmm....give Austria a try. If you can get it shipped to where you will be staying, that'll be good.

Good Luck!

The alternatives which I have at this moment are: 471 model vs 853 pro model, same price. These seems to be available at an on-line store here. Any ideea about performance difference between x71 and x53?

I can go with a 471 model now and I'll be ok as storage space for about 3 years I think, maximum.

The alternatives which I have at this moment are: 471 model vs 853 pro model, same price. These seems to be available at an on-line store here. Any ideea about performance difference between x71 and x53?

I can go with a 471 model now and I'll be ok as storage space for about 3 years I think, maximum.

I'd go with the 471 right now and in 3 years or so just upgrade to the latest one at that time.

No matter the hardware platform, we preach "RAID is not a backup!"

I found a document giving some information with regards to plex performance.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...-Ac4oOLPRtCkgUxU0jdj3tmMPc/edit#gid=314388488

According with that, the Qnap x53 models does not renders very well 1080P, same for synology model.

Great find!

As you can see, if you're looking for 1080p transcoding, it's wise to go with at least an i3.

This pretty much says it all in that the Atom's, Celeron's, etc....can't handle anything that requires power. Even the J1900, although might can handle one high bit rate transcoding, try throwing any more at it and it'll choke. I've already tested one so I know.

Good stuff...

I still have not found x71 in my country to buy, and last night I saw that the disks configured in mirror were split up. It was late, I was tired and stupid, I configured the bios to use the raid mode again, but the disks were already desynchronised , I don't know what I was thinking, and now I have some files missing and some files corrupted on my raid.

Fortunately I have an external backup disk, I just hope that did not failed yet. Those being said I really need to buy a storage asap, I will never use on-board raid again.

Is the family x53 pro very slow, comparing with x71? How much would take to (re)build a raid 5 on x53 pro?

I still have not found x71 in my country to buy, and last night I saw that the disks configured in mirror were split up. It was late, I was tired and stupid, I configured the bios to use the raid mode again, but the disks were already desynchronised , I don't know what I was thinking, and now I have some files missing and some files corrupted on my raid.

Fortunately I have an external backup disk, I just hope that did not failed yet. Those being said I really need to buy a storage asap, I will never use on-board raid again.

Is the family x53 pro very slow, comparing with x71? How much would take to (re)build a raid 5 on x53 pro?

Sorry to hear about your drives. I hope you'll be able to recover as much as you can.

The x53 Family only has the quad core 2.0GHz Celeron CPU. It should be okay for the rebuild of a Raid 5. However, if you're wanting performance I would stay way from the x53 line. It can barely handle one true 1080p streaming, let alone try adding any other tasks on top of that and it'll choke. I've had some hands on time with it to know, especially coming from my units where I don't think twice about any hiccups due to a lack of power. It's just one of those things, when you're very used some something, you have a tendency to realize things right off the bat.

I'm tempted to sell you one of my TVS-x71 units with an i7. Hope you can find something soon.

Is it hard to get things ordered and into your Country? It must be?

Sorry to hear about your drives. I hope you'll be able to recover as much as you can.

The x53 Family only has the quad core 2.0GHz Celeron CPU. It should be okay for the rebuild of a Raid 5. However, if you're wanting performance I would stay way from the x53 line. It can barely handle one true 1080p streaming, let alone try adding any other tasks on top of that and it'll choke. I've had some hands on time with it to know, especially coming from my units where I don't think twice about any hiccups due to a lack of power. It's just one of those things, when you're very used some something, you have a tendency to realize things right off the bat.

I'm tempted to sell you one of my TVS-x71 units with an i7. Hope you can find something soon.

Is it hard to get things ordered and into your Country? It must be?

Why do you want to sell an x71 unit, aren't you satisfied with it?

It's not hard to order different things from Amazon UK or DE, I usually buy things online, but a NAS is quite heavy to buy it online from another country, or the transport would be to expensive to worth it. I think the local problem here is Qnap distribution in my country. I can find some cheaper models (probably the are better sold). I managed to find a store who will import it for me, I only have to pay it in advance. I'm still searching, I will order one like this or I will wait another 6 weeks till my next holiday and I will buy it from abroad.

Why do you want to sell an x71 unit, aren't you satisfied with it?

It's not hard to order different things from Amazon UK or DE, I usually buy things online, but a NAS is quite heavy to buy it online from another country, or the transport would be to expensive to worth it. I think the local problem here is Qnap distribution in my country. I can find some cheaper models (probably the are better sold). I managed to find a store who will import it for me, I only have to pay it in advance. I'm still searching, I will order one like this or I will wait another 6 weeks till my next holiday and I will buy it from abroad.

Because I am needing to upgrade to the TVS-ECx80U-SAS Series. I have 3 QNAP NAS's all TVS-x71 line with (i7). They are all spotless. I am OCD.

I have one question related to configuration: if I configure RAID 5 with only 3 disks for the start, and 3 or more bays will be empty, does Qnap software allows to increase the volume by adding new disks, without recreating it from scratch?

Yes it does.

I have one question related to configuration: if I configure RAID 5 with only 3 disks for the start, and 3 or more bays will be empty, does Qnap software allows to increase the volume by adding new disks, without recreating it from scratch?

Yes indeed. So you're wanting a 6 bay?

Sent from my Note 4 [Powered by: FireKat V20X]

6TB's from any company is still not as tested and proven as the 4TB drives.

The bottom line is that the 4TB's have a better track record. But you have to make due with what you can ....

Sent from my Note 4 [Powered by: FireKat V20X]