What's new

NAS with SSD and 10gbe, or not?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yeah maybe you're right. I shouldn't sell that Amazon CPU short. I was really thinking more in terms of compatibility (Intel vs. ARM).

My requirements are REALLY simple, speedy transfer of multiple files at the same time and low power usage along with a small footprint.

The box has 3.5" compatibility. I wish they made one just for 2.5" drives.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Yeah maybe you're right. I shouldn't sell that Amazon CPU short. I was really thinking more in terms of compatibility (Intel vs. ARM).

My requirements are REALLY simple, speedy transfer of multiple files at the same time and low power usage along with a small footprint.

The box has 3.5" compatibility. I wish they made one just for 2.5" drives.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

If you'll be populating it with SSD's and/or M.2 SSD's for caching, these performance numbers should go up appreciably. Add up to 16GB of RAM and this will make it a formidable file server.

As a 3Bay NAS, it already has one of the smallest footprints available and the relatively low powered CPU ensures low power usage too.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas...-ts-332x-three-bay-10gbe-nas-reviewed?start=1

Edit: Just want to add that the performance should be better with 3TB NAS drives or larger. 1TB drives are very old tech these days! :)

Thanks, L&LD. That's a good find but the ARM CPU (which lowers the price) isn't something I am looking at.

Annapurna Labs is one option - and a choice that many of the NAS vendors have taken with 10Gbe - the other would be Marvell's Armada 8000 series...

Hard choice with ARM compared to recent developments on Intel (Xeon-D) and AMD (Epyc 3000 series) - I would go with the Intel/AMD solutions for 10Gbe right now.

Spend more perhaps, but better ecosystem support, as with x86-64, that problem has already been solved, not just at the HW level, but also with the SW stack.