What's new

Need advice DIR-855 A2 now has 1.12 FW please read

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cc666

Very Senior Member
I just received a brand new DIR-855 router from New Egg.
It is a version A2 with 1.12 firmware. I previously owned
a Dir 655 and 825 so I know about the firmware update to
1.2 will prohibit me going back to 1.12.

I now see there is a brand new release of the 1.22 firmware released yesterday. Do I keep the 1.12 or should I upgrade?

Any problems or security issues with the 1.12 firmware?

Please advise....

Thanks
Charlie

Claykin

I know that from the other 2 DIR routers. I have to say the
DIR-855 A2 is rock solid and fast as hell with the 1.12NA Firmware.
I made up my mind I am not changing a thing. This router as it sits
right now is better then my Netgear WNDR 3700. So far I am
completely satisfied with the DIR-855. I had 4 computers streaming
Hulu in HD and every computer was smooth as silk! (1 5 ghz N) (3 2.4 GHZ G)

If anyone is interested newegg has the router on sale for 215.000. That is the cheapest I have ever seen it.

Charlie

I upgraded the to the latest firmware, and I can't be sure because 1) I am by far a pro on network anything, 2) I just got the router and have been playing around with it quite a bit.

What I can tell you is that for two days, while playing around with different settings, I ran continuous speed tests (internet speed) and always saw at least the 22Mbps I pay for.

Since the update I frequently get less than the 22 Mbps. It seems very inconsistent.

I am attached to a NAS drive w/ cat 6 and today saw 74 Mbps transferring a 4GB file over 2.4 Ghz N/G mixed mode from my Macbook using an N adaptor.

Good or bad ?? I don't know! LOL...

What caused me to update the firmware was a constant re-set I experienced after trying to setup my WD live box with wireless on the 5 Ghz band. It's like the router just went belly up... so I figured what the heck.

Firmware

What firmware did you have before the update? I have to say that 1.12 on a A2 unit is rock solid, now on 13 days no issues at all and fast.

Charlie

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!