What's new

Need advice on buying a router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

royarcher

Very Senior Member
I am thinking of buying a router that I can use a VPN app that express VPN provides only problem it will only work with certain routers. The Asus routers to choose from are the RT AC 56 U//R/S or the RT AC 68 U or the RT AC 87 U .
I would prefer to buy it brand new so as these are older models not all are available brand new. Can anyone please let me know which is the better router? It's only job would be to facilitate streaming shows once I flash it with the express VPN,s firmware thanks guys.
PS what does refurbishing entail ?
PPS the other options are the Linksys WRT 3200ACM And the Netgear R6400v2/R6700v3.
I love shopping but I don't know which to get any recommendations welcome

Last edited:
If you're going to be flashing it anyways, it won't matter if it is new or not, just that it is in working condition. Also, to find out which models are best for your use case, I would check with express vpn and their recommendations since they will know which hardware works best.

ps. Refurbishing can mean a lot of different things from doing nothing all the way to a factor refurbish which would be just like a new one.

pps. See above reply.

If you're going to be flashing it anyways, it won't matter if it is new or not, just that it is in working condition. Also, to find out which models are best for your use case, I would check with express vpn and their recommendations since they will know which hardware works best.

ps. Refurbishing can mean a lot of different things from doing nothing all the way to a factor refurbish which would be just like a new one.

pps. See above reply.
Thanks for that. I will check with express VPN but I am learning towards the Linksys but I will run it by them

The Asus routers to choose from are the RT AC 56 U//R/S or the RT AC 68 U or the RT AC 87 U .
I wouldn't even consider the RT-AC56U/R/S or RT-AC87U. I know you'll be installing a bespoke firmware, but should you decide later that you want to install a "normal" firmware neither of these devices are supported by Asus anymore.

Ok thanks th
I wouldn't even consider the RT-AC56U/R/S or RT-AC87U. I know you'll be installing a bespoke firmware, but should you decide later that you want to install a "normal" firmware neither of these devices are supported by Asus anymore.

Ok thanks for that. That leaves the 68 U and thanks for the Link
No wonder they are so cheap

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!