What's new

Need advice on new router and/or access point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Keep whatever you think is best in your case. It's just a router, it doesn't matter. Most consumer routers now are disposable cheaply made junk. If your business grows, get a real network gear. Focus on programming, it may get you a Porsche. Wasting your time tweaking an ASUS router won't get you much. You may become an Internet forum hero at best. There are much better software/hardware replacements for every "advanced" feature some routers offer. I'm sure you know.

That must be the wisest comment of all the discussion.

Thanks, I truly appreciate what you wrote and the time you took to write it.

On a side note, the c7 works flawlessly, it's smooth and the connection is good. I think I'll save the 150$ and return the asus for another c7.

On a side note, the c7 works flawlessly, it's smooth and the connection is good. I think I'll save the 150$ and return the asus for another c7.

Keep in mind Archer C7 is a basic router with average performance as per today's standards. It has been around for years, it was sold in millions, the hardware was updated multiple times, the software was fixed multiple times. It has three main strengths - very good price/performance ratio in the budget segment, extremely easy to setup for non-technical users and very stable in operation. This is the "set and forget" device example I was talking about earlier, but don't expect any speed records.

Let me share a funny story with Archer C7 involved - I had one of those installed in a company as a temporary solution. We couldn't run a cable to a specific spot and we had to send NVR camera streams to a remote terminal PC. It had to happen the same day, so we put one Archer C7 there and a USB WiFi adapter on the PC. Both were relatively cheap and available in a local computer store. Well, this temporary solution is still there, we forgot about it. Last time the Admin checked the C7 had like 2.5 years uptime. Still original firmware as we got it, was never rebooted, never failed. It transferred quietly over WiFi about 18TB of data in 2.5 years time with no reboot.

Last edited:
I don't transfer data more than like 2 times a year. I need a router capable of handling download, multiple streaming and gaming at the same time. That's it.

I understand the c7 is more basic vs the asus, but is the asus 3.5 times better than the c7? Cause it costs 3.5 times more. I'm on a wndr3800 dating from 2010 and it handles *correctly* what I need it to. I want to upgrade to fix security weaknesses and use AC vs N connection. Going up to a C7 its still wayyy better than what I have right now and it costs 65$. Also you just proved it is very reliable.

OMG! WTFast again... and again... and again...
Are you going to stop ever demonstrating how limited your experience is? No, seriously?
You are not helping in this thread. No one here is going to buy another RT-AC86U from your garage, just stop the constant BS.

Some smileys -> :(:confused::eek:

I'm really happy you managed to filter all the BS from the reality. It's getting harder and harder to do that in some threads here on SNB.

I don't know what your issue is? I hope you get the help you need.

In the meantime, I hope you can filter all the BS from your posts too?

Seriously, who are you getting me mixed up with? Someone in your mind?

Help or don't, but stop being so rude and obnoxious here.

I understand the c7 is more basic vs the asus, but is the asus 3.5 times better than the c7?

It depends on what you expect the router to do. In some tasks 86U can be >3.5 better actually, but it's not absolutely necessary to run everything on the router. Since you said you live alone, C7 can definitely handle your streaming and downloading. For gaming... it depends on what games. Games like FPS in multiplayer online require low latency, but there are not many users on your network, so both routers may produce very similar results with no need of QoS. C7's QoS problem is slow speed (up to 100Mbps, enabling QoS disables NAT acceleration), 86U's QoS problem is low efficiency (out of the box, attempts were made to fix it). Try your games and see how it goes. You've got C7 for CAD63 only after all, there is nothing much to lose.

Better test C7 in your place, see what it does. If you are happy with it, keep it. If not good enough, get yourself a better router. Or keep it for now, get a better AX router when the price fits in your budget. More and more AX devices will show up over time. For your parents place C7 is all they need, as long as it covers the place with good WiFi signal.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!