What's new

Need advice on new router and/or access point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I’m no expert but I’d also recommend the Asus vs a Netgear. The potential to use the third party firmware alone is great, if you want it (you might not need it, but it’s a great thing to have should your setup end up warranting it). In addition, the support/warranty is also worth some thought. I was frustrated to find that my Netgear was a 1 year/90 day support setup (and a phone call to troubleshoot after that was $89). Asus is usually 2 years for their routers. I’ve not seen many folks who don’t like their Asus.

@grat_master, have a look at my M&M Config link in my signature below to have the best experience (initial and ongoing) with your new router (great price too, btw). :)

Thanks !

I am also wondering something. I bought a tp-link archer ac2300 last week on amazon for 130$ + taxes for my father. I did not open the box yet. I am wondering if I should send it back and get another Asus for him or it doesn't really make a difference.

Me? I would send it back. You do love your father, right? :)

You or anyone else actually haha

The Archer 2300 got the same cpu and ram as the 86u. I was wondering if the software is worth it that much more ?

Great hardware is easily undermined by iffy software. RMerlin firmware along with the Asus base he builds off of is respected for a reason (many, actually).

I don't have any direct experience with the Archer 2300, but I have yet to see a better combination than Asus/RMerlin for long term network satisfaction at a fair (sale!) price. ;)

Great hardware is easily undermined by iffy software. RMerlin firmware along with the Asus base he builds off of is respected for a reason (many, actually).

I don't have any direct experience with the Archer 2300, but I have yet to see a better combination than Asus/RMerlin for long term network satisfaction at a fair (sale!) price. ;)

I'm not hard to convince haha I'll tell my father that it costs 60$ more.

Thanks again.

Great hardware is easily undermined by iffy software.

This is actually valid in full force for RT-AC86U routers.
The software is the weakest point of this model, still work in progress, >2 years after the release.

I would go with something simpler for my parents.
Nobody is going to tweak the router there, nor play with custom firmware. Must be set-and-forget device.

This is actually valid in full force for RT-AC86U routers.
The software is the weakest point of this model, still work in progress, >2 years after the release.

I would go with something simpler for my parents.
Nobody is going to tweak the router there, nor play with custom firmware. Must be set-and-forget device.

As mine is, even running 384.14 Beta 1. :)

Of course, when I first got it earlier this year, I did a full M&M Config on it too. ;)

As mine is, even running 384.14 Beta 1.

You think so. I'm going to wait for the 384.14 release, test it and see what was fixed from the long list of issues present in Asuswrt original firmware. This router with it's current software is definitely piece of work and requires more frequent attention. I wouldn't recommend it to someone expecting plug-and-play.

You think so. I'm going to wait for the 384.14 release, test it and see what was fixed from the long list of issues present in Asuswrt original firmware. This router with it's current software is definitely piece of work and requires more frequent attention. I wouldn't recommend it to someone expecting plug-and-play.

No, I know so. :)

I think its also fair to say that your router usage won't mirror @grat_master's father use either. :)

What expectations do you have for this router that the current .14 Beta 1 doesn't address?

What expectations do you have for this router that the current .14 Beta 1 doesn't address?

I expect with specific options enabled the router to survive >10 days with no need to reboot it. I expect it to come back alive after software reboot also. Just to mention some. There is more to be desired in third-party software, because some options don't work as expected at all. Merlin can't do much about it. And why we need to discuss Asuswrt-Merlin? This router should work as expected with Asuswrt official. The software is so great, that ASUS even pulled off one of the updates, remember?

I expect with specific options enabled the router to survive >10 days with no need to reboot it. I expect it to come back alive after software reboot also. Just to mention some. There is more to be desired in third-party software, because some options don't work as expected at all. Merlin can't do much about it. And why we need to discuss Asuswrt-Merlin? This router should work as expected with Asuswrt official. The software is so great, that ASUS even pulled off one of the updates, remember?

All your reasons are not issues for the approximately 100 or so RT-AC86U's I have sold and setup for others. Some with and some without RMerlin firmware. There have been many improvements since 384.12 on both sides. ;)

Pulling an update is also good news for those that don't rush to install whatever is available. :)

There have been many improvements since 384.12 on both sides.

I haven't even mentioned my findings on 81049 firmware. What 384.12? Oh, you expect I have one only 86U... I see.
I don't know where you find so basic users that don't see how AiProtection, Adaptive QoS, Traffic Analyzer, Web History, Samba, Download Master, Printer Server (on supported devices), Soft Reboot, etc. all have issues or don't do what they promise to do. The latest firmware has many fixes, testing it at the moment. All your customers have the latest firmware from day one or even newer, right? My customers are on a bit different level, I guess. I personally have no issues with my router, I just know what is not working properly on it.

Anyway, I wouldn't place a work-in-progress device in my parent's home. This is where the conversation started. Parents usually don't need any advanced features, they just need Internet access. There are better and cheaper options than RT-AC86U for this purpose.

Last edited:
Yes, all my customers are running the same level of firmware because of the fixes offered. Stability and performance in that order. A feature is never needed if it is broken, of course. ;)

Cheaper than an RT-AC86U? Yes. Better? No.

Everything you say is not working seems to be working for me and my customers (and some are on .14 Beta 1 along with me). :)

I really enjoyed reading you two but I'm still confused. For my apartment, I think I'll keep the asus. In any case, I'm a computer programmer and can tweek it as much as I need to. But for my father, should I keep the asus at 207$ total or keep the tp link at 149$?

My father got a few devices like a laptop, a couple of phones, a couple Amazon outdoor cameras and that's about it. I need something plug and play that will work forever. He doesn't download much, nor transfer files. His connection is like 15 or 30 Mbps I think. Nothing fancy here.

Everything you say is not working seems to be working for me and my customers

Because you are looking at the WebUI and it seems fine. Something is happening there, so must be working. Or doing something, at least. And I didn't say "not working", but "not working as expected". Many options in ASUS firmware are named similarly to the options in other higher class products, but don't produce even close results. A lot of cheating and cutting corners is going on there and you'll see it if you run some equipment before the router, or give some clients specific tasks, or aim specific traffic at something ASUS says is under control, etc. I'm not going into details, we all know why is this happening in this market segment. Some older routers in the same segment do things better, but they don't come with ridiculous speed claims and 100 options... and that's a huge marketing problem. You probably have mostly home users with not too many requirements, as long as Internet is working. I perfectly see why some people chase off-lease few years old enterprise class products. Just more honest products, if I can put it this way.

Cheaper than an RT-AC86U? Yes. Better? No.

How much better must be a simple router providing Internet access to few clients in your parent's house? Does it need custom firmware support? Does it need Dual-WAN Gigabit capabilities? Or probably it needs Game Boost, WTFast? Oh, it needs Traffic Analyzer... definitely! No, that's not it - it needs Bandwidth Monitor! Must be TOR support then... no?

My parents have 50Mbps ISP, simple router (2 actually, one is a backup) and 2 access points. They use like 5 devices, some home automation is connected, NVR with some cameras. That's it. No gaming routers, no WTFast, no BS. Even if I upgrade the house with Gigabit ISP and 2 x GT-AX11000 routers they won't see much of a difference. So, what's the point? Better router in what?

My father got a few devices like a laptop, a couple of phones, a couple Amazon outdoor cameras and that's about it. I need something plug and play that will work forever. He doesn't download much, nor transfer files. His connection is like 15 or 30 Mbps I think. Nothing fancy here.

Exactly. The simpler the setup, the better. This specific TP-Link AC2300 has very good reviews, actually. It has the same hardware as RT-AC86U and similar good WiFi performance/coverage is expected. If you have it already, give it to them. They'll be fine even with TP-Link AC1750 Archer C7 for $60. It's a very good reliable router, by the way. Or something like Netgear R6400, you can get one for about $60 also, very reliable model. Keep the RT-AC86U and play with it, at least you know how to fix it when ASUS hits it again with bad firmware. It's a good performance router and you can customize it with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. You may need it more than your parents.

Last edited:
@Val D. please don't pretend to know what I know. You seem to be a person that needs to be right, even when you're not. :rolleyes:

A better router in security and performance, like I said before. ;)

Also; I don't have to enable or push any of the gimmicks (Game Boost, WTFast, etc.) for my clients. And they are gimmicks after all. Using this class of routers for much more than home use or very small businesses is asking too much of the hardware, let alone the software side of things.

Every single Asus router I have installed for customers starting with the RT-N66U has been met with nothing but compliments from any other router the customer was using before. They are that good. :)

Even the few that died a premature death (mostly RT-AC66U's) were given a pass by those customers and they're happily running an RT-AC3100 or above with a noted boost to both performance (range and throughput) and security (particularly those with an amtm installation and associated scripts). A lot are still happy with RT-AC56U levels of performance too (thanks to john9529's efforts).

With a few simple instructions on how to keep things updated on the scripting side (and the tremendous amount of work by the scripting authors, including @thelonelycoder), their 'dark' network days are long in the past.

There is nothing like this, nor better than this in consumer land right now. Your complaints seem a little hollow.

As you noted; to get better, a move to the much more hands-on (at least to setup properly) enterprise range is hardly a knock on Asus. Let alone Asus + RMerlin + amtm + scripts. :)

Properly setting up an Asus router (if in doubt; a Nuclear Reset highly recommended), installing amtm, formatting a cheap USB drive and setting up a swap file and installing scripts as needed/required, is the pinnacle of 'set and forget' for a parent's network. Until the next time, when you visit them and update as needed, then. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!