What's new

Need assistance with Asuswrt-Merlin Site-tunnel setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jumpstarter

Hello everyone,
Let me explain my issue. I have a site tunnel setup on my home router with a router from my office connecting to the site-tunnel(which both run asuswrt-merlin). I am able to ping address assigned by the site tunnel to the Office router via my home LAN, but I am unable to resolve the hostnames associated with the address assigned ( or by extension the network of the Office lan) from the home lan. Where should I start in order to get hostname resolution for the lan of the office router to be resolvable from the home routers lan?

Make sure the OpenVPN server has "Advertise DNS to clients" enabled, and the OpenVPN client has "Accept DNS Configuration" set to Relaxed or Strict.

Make sure the OpenVPN server has "Advertise DNS to clients" enabled, and the OpenVPN client has "Accept DNS Configuration" set to Relaxed or Strict.
That is how I have it setup and all I can do is ping the other network, but when I try to do reverse lookups I get nxdomain.

Can you resolve any DNS names using the server on the other side of the tunnel, e.g. www.google.com ?

Are you using the FQDN, e.g. officepc1.mycompany.com ?

It's possible that DNS rebind protection is preventing it from working.

On the WAN page, if "Enable DNS Rebind protection" is enabled, try disabling it (on both sides of the tunnel). If that fixes it, then it would be preferrable to keep it enabled, but add an exception for the respective domains on each side of the tunnel in DNSMasq (via a dnsmasq.conf.add file).

Code:
# site A
rebind-domain-ok=siteB

# site B
rebind-domain-ok=siteA

Of course, I have no idea what you're using for domain names, so adjust accordingly.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!