What's new

Need Dell/Intel NIC Driver. Help!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EastCoastMaster

Occasional Visitor
So I just recently purchased a Dell YT674 Intel PRO/1000 VT Quad Gigabit Port PCIe NIC off ebay and installed it in my new custom pc I built running Windows 8.1 Pro w/ Media Center. I have searched all over but I can't seem to find any driver(s). Some help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Doesn't install - Help

I tried the link, but unfortunately the driver doesn't want to install on Windows 8.1. Thanks anyways tho.

Please somebody help me find a compatible driver!

I'd give that one a shot, but the problem is, Intel EoL driver support for a number of adapters with Win8.1. Did windows 8.1 not auto-install a default driver? Whether it did or not, you might be stuck. The 1000 is a rather old card and Intel stopped making it something like 4-5 years ago.

Kind of like my Gigabit CT cards, Intel EoL them a few years ago and Windows 8.1 they included a driver in the OS, but that was the FINAL driver version Intel did/will offer.

You can do some tweaking to get the Intel proset utility to install though, just not newer drivers (for the Gigabit CT cards).

You can look in to it, I don't recall the link and can't spend a bunch of time searching, but it IS possible to change the driver file in the Intel ProSet driver package so that you can install the Windows 8 driver, which will work under Windows 8.1.

You'll have to disable driver signing in windows to get it to accept the driver (as the signiture will not match the file any longer).

Search around for something like "use intel windows 8 driver in windows 8.1" or some such thing. You should come across it eventually.

Can somebody out there please help!? Iv'e tried like everything, with no success. Someone please give me detailed instructions on how to get this NIC installed?

It's been a while but I seem to remember Intel has a pretty big driver pack, I'd have to poke around but basically it was for their pro stuff. It was over 400meg but it had a very good installer that would hunt out the correct driver. Intel also has a detector on their site, you might need to put in a more common nic so you can get the new machine online. Make sure that the card you want the driver for is also plugged in, it will detect all your intel chipset cards.

http://www.intel.com/support/utilitytools.htm

I think the issue is that Intel EOS a bunch of their networking products with 8.1. They either released and initial driver and then no more, or else nothing at all with some of them.

I don't recall the specifics, but I know you can find the exact inf for your card from windows 8, copy the section from the inf in to the intel 8.1 proset inf and change the NT kernel version to 8.1 (which is 6.3, IIRC?). Then you need to allow unsigned driver installation temporarily, reboot your machine, install the new driver, cross your fingers, make sure it works and then reboot again and you should be good.

It'll tell you that the driver is "unsigned/unknown" from here on out, but it should work.

That may not be the exact way to do it, but I am pretty sure that is how I got it to work.

Alternately, get a new network card. I mean, it stinks, but some of Intel's dual and quad cards, the newer ones, can be had for less than $100 for a used card for some of the newer, non-EOS'd cards. Might be worth it rather than the huge hassle of getting the pro/1000 to work in 8.1.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!