What's new

Need Good Upgrade to my RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

illus4567

Occasional Visitor
Got about 150 mpbs coming from Comast Coax. The only big data need is when everyone is watching Netflix at once. My sons will be gamers probably a year from now. I also need something that provides more signal coverage.

The N66U mostly handles everything but when a device inadvertently hits the 2.4 signal everything slows down so it's a pain to constantly have to select the 5ghz channel. Not sure if a new router will help with that.

I would also like to start using VPN on the router: either Mulvad or ProtoVPN. Wondering if RT-AC86U with Merlin is the way forward?

RMerlin + RT-AC86U for your environment seems like a great fit. :)

Thanks so much! Purchased the AC86U and it's a fine upgrade. Don't even need mesh or other access points.

I'm a total Merlin noob - is there a good 1) quickstart guide to flashing with merlin and a 2) good settings overview cheatsheet?

Thanks so much!

Purchased the AC86U and it's a fine upgrade. Don't even need mesh or other access points.

I'm a total Merlin noob - is there a good 1) quickstart guide to flashing with merlin and a 2) good settings overview cheatsheet?
Good. I'm glad you are happy with the AC86U. I had several N66Us. I replaced one with an AC1900P and another with a Blue Cave. Now don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with both of them but when I replaced a couple of other N66Us with AC86Us there was a definite "Wow!" factor! Co-workers even stopped me and said, "What the hell? I'm getting WiFi everywhere!" I had gotten the 86Us for VPN, that worked great too.

Merlin? I ran it on my N66Us. It really got me out of a few jams. Haven't loaded it on my newer routers yet. I'm lazy. If it ain't broke don't fix it : -)

Last edited:
If you don't 'break' it at least once, you won't learn and you'll have a worse browsing/networking experience too. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!