What's new

Need Help - Bricked My R7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Csection

This morning my r7800 went down and I tried to get it back up, but it would not restart.
I did a reset pressing the reset while turning it on. I then tried to tftp into it, but was not successful.
The only lights that comes on is the one above "Esata" and the lan port one light blinks slowly.
Please help me if you can. Do I need to get an RMA?

I don't have a J-Tag cable. I tried to ping it, but it says "Destination unreachable".

This morning my r7800 went down and I tried to get it back up, but it would not restart.
I did a reset pressing the reset while turning it on. I then tried to tftp into it, but was not successful.
The only lights that comes on is the one above "Esata" and the lan port one light blinks slowly.

I don't have a J-Tag cable. I tried to ping it, but it says "Destination unreachable".

Can you tell us a bit more details? Stock or 3rd party firmware, version, overclock? Did you have telnet enabled?

I faced the same situation with my R7500v1. I used eSATA disk. IMO it is hardware problems of R7500/R7800 with eSATA. So RMA. Now I avoid using eSATA at all.

Voxel.

I faced the same situation with my R7500v1. I used eSATA disk. IMO it is hardware problems of R7500/R7800 with eSATA. So RMA. Now I avoid using eSATA at all.

Voxel.
I think you're right, cause the only light that was on solid was the Esata.
I am returning the unit to Netgear per RMA. They were very responsive and nice to deal with!

I think you're right, cause the only light that was on solid was the Esata.
I am returning the unit to Netgear per RMA. They were very responsive and nice to deal with!

Just for info: I got the brick with eSATA led using stock firmware. And also, no additional questions/obstacles, perhaps they know this problem.

Voxel.

Just for info: I got the brick with eSATA led using stock firmware. And also, no additional questions/obstacles, perhaps they know this problem.

Voxel.
Well!
When I explained my problem, they were quick to issue RMA. I only hope it is not persistent. That would be bad!
I was not using an Esata drive though.

I was not using an Esata drive though.

You scared me ;-) I was sure that it is because of eSATA disks I was using...

I only hope it is not persistent. That would be bad!

Well, what if I let you know that I had the same with both of my R7500... But not with R7800 (yet). Two RMA. Second: 7-8 days later. Both with stock FW. Just few days passed since I got them from the shop. It was in 2015.

Voxel.

You scared me ;-) I was sure that it is because of eSATA disks I was using...
Like I said I hope it's not a persistent thing.

Well, what if I let you know that I had the same with both of my R7500... But not with R7800 (yet). Two RMA. Second: 7-8 days later. Both with stock FW. Just few days passed since I got them from the shop. It was in 2015.

Voxel.

I wonder if you could investigate this and maybe fix it in your firmware?

I do not think that this is software problem. Most probably hardware. Let's clarify a bit, both times I got this problem:

1. My disk was attached to router.
2. Disk was powered by external power supply (eSATA requires external power).
3. It happened only after reboot from GUI, not unexpectedly during normal router functionality.
4. Disk was formatted by ext4 FS.

What was in your case? I am interested most of all in "2" (external power supply) if you had disk attached.

Voxel.

With many vendors - they caution not to have an external disk connected when trying to update the device...

I do not think that this is software problem. Most probably hardware. Let's clarify a bit, both times I got this problem:

1. My disk was attached to router.
2. Disk was powered by external power supply (eSATA requires external power).
3. It happened only after reboot from GUI, not unexpectedly during normal router functionality.
4. Disk was formatted by ext4 FS.

What was in your case? I am interested most of all in "2" (external power supply) if you had disk attached.

Voxel.
I do not have an Esata drive. I only have a usb drive, but it was not connected to the router.
I may have gotten a surge, but I have a surge protector on it. Might have been the sump pump kicking in. Not really sure.
I was not updating the router just rebooting it to try and bring it up.

With many vendors - they caution not to have an external disk connected when trying to update the device...

The main reason for which I always recommend this is simply due to RAM availability. Having a USB disk plugged means that quite often, most of the free RAM is allocated to cache and buffers, leaving insufficient free memory to store the uploaded firmware file during an upgrade. Booting with no USB disk plugged in ensures that you have all the free RAM possible.

Yes, I know. But both me and Csection got the similar problem after regular boot. Not after flashing. Csection even w/o external drive.

Regarding my case: I only started to play with these toys. Third day after they were delivered or so. My reboot was after re-configuration, I do not remember exactly, but something like change of DNS or so. Flashing was performed at the very beginning, during setup wizard.

I was sure that this is because of eSATA with external power supply. Well, it was with my R7500. Not with R7800.

Voxel.

Yes, I know. But both me and Csection got the similar problem after regular boot. Not after flashing. Csection even w/o external drive.

Regarding my case: I only started to play with these toys. Third day after they were delivered or so. My reboot was after re-configuration, I do not remember exactly, but something like change of DNS or so. Flashing was performed at the very beginning, during setup wizard.

I was sure that this is because of eSATA with external power supply. Well, it was with my R7500. Not with R7800.

Voxel.
These reports scare me now. I hope this does not happen to my new R7800. ! Maybe there really is a hardware design flaw in these routers and that's why I am seeing them go on sale for lowered prices recently. Makes me wonder now. I hope these are not lemons waiting to fail one day. Otherwise before this I was feeling good about this router (R7800).