What's new

Need help fixing this mess

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

h00pla85

New Around Here
I currently have samsung connect throughout my house and the 3 units do a decent job covering except for some corners and hitting outside an outside camera

I have cat6 to all my TV's and my office upstairs and down stairs.

They did not run everything to a central location. Instead ran everything from the main floor to the upstairs office and everything in the basement (completely finished) to the downstairs office/gym and a cat6 cable between the two and then each office has a cable ran to the utility room. All are coming through a wall and the ones in the office are not in an ideal location as the connect hubs are just sitting on the floor. I attached a drawing of what I currently have. The house is 99' x 60'

I should be able to add two cat6 ceiling mounts from the attic for the main floor in the front closet and my WIC if a ceiling mounted AP would be best suited.

Main floor is tile throughout with steel mesh.

What would be the best route to fix this? I have several cat6 cabinet coming out of a plug opening in 2 areas that I would like to be clean. Should I use splitters to join some to get them to the utility room or try to run new lines?

Would ceiling mounted AP in the main floor be ideal? or should I look into AP's with decent wall mount options? I could also hide routers in the TV areas so would 2 AiMesh routers work suffice?

I do not care much for advanced settings, mainly just stability and coverage.

Attachments

• LAYOUT-CAT6.jpg
    LAYOUT-CAT6.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 201
"6000 sqft" is a large home to cover with only one wifi AP, and the steel mesh underneath the tile of the main floor would make coverage in the basement unreliable unless you put one or more APs down there as well.
A friend of mine is a big Ubiquiti guy and he turned my head around with an AP that could be installed in a standard wall box. You should upload your floorplan drawing to the planning tool on their homepage to see what they suggest for your use case.

"6000 sqft" is a large home to cover with only one wifi AP, and the steel mesh underneath the tile of the main floor would make coverage in the basement unreliable unless you put one or more APs down there as well.
A friend of mine is a big Ubiquiti guy and he turned my head around with an AP that could be installed in a standard wall box. You should upload your floorplan drawing to the planning tool on their homepage to see what they suggest for your use case.

Thank you for the input. Unifi was one of the options I have been looking at. If i went this route I would try to get 2 AP (ceiling mounted) on the main floor located in the WIC and front closet that I had noted where I could run cat6, I just wasn't how well it would transit through the floors. Worse case I guess I could buy 1-2 wall mount options in the basement. Just it seems like this would also be the most expensive option plus the additional cat6 needed to be wired.

You live in a large home and can't afford to not do this as far as I'm concerned; making improvements to the infrastructure of the house add to its value. In this day and age, and moving forward, these will become increasingly important features.
If you want to be Really "sexy" about it, consider re-fitting an area of the basement (it doesn't have to be large) into a tech closet, where you can keep all your data infrastructure stuff - router/switches, UPS/power conditioning, NAS...I'm sure someone would appreciate not having these things scattered all over your home.

The issue is running wire in the basement would be very hard to do with decorative ceilings everywhere and the floor joists running perpendicular.

I would be relying on the AP in the ceiling on the main floor with a combination of wall mounted AP and mesh AP to have signal in the basement. I have not seen many of reviews on their meshpoint units. If the 2 AP on the main floor would suffice I would just go that route as it is minimal work and the cost is not as significant. But I am not sure the additional wiring in the basement and additional AP would be worth it for my needs.

Going off that planner it looks like I am going to have a similar signals in most areas despite having more AP, unless their planner is being super conservative as it is almost the same signal strength as I currently have

@h00pla85 - Re- the ceiling mounting, that's the beauty of UniFi: all the hardware diversity. Simply run a port to the most easily reachable basement wall and deploy a FlexHD; problem solved.

Re- the "cost" issue, a full UniFi stack won't be as cheap as an overblown consumer all-in-one, but as @heysoundude said, a solid home network has grown to become of similar value to major items we rely on daily (refrigerator, mattress, etc.), so investing at a similar level, albeit annoying, is something that will help your quality of life to the same degree.

From there, it's just semantics as to where/how you spec whatever amount and form-factor of APs, to provide the strength and volume of fronthaul for your needs/wants. And you can always add to your WLAN in low-power chunks, to fill gaps later on if needed.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!