What's new

Need help getting RT-AX86U set up.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Malini

New Around Here
Hey, everyone.

I'm a total newbie; apologies in advance for my ignorance.

I've been using the router provided by my (cable) ISP until today. I bought an ASUS RT-AX86U off eBay and am trying to set it up.

I unplugged the modem, disconnected the ISP's router, connected the modem to the new router and plugged both in.

The modem lights come on and are steady. The router lights indicating power and connectivity come on briefly, then go dark again & stay dark. I've tried unplugging the router and plugging it back in several times. It does the same thing every time. I tried resetting the modem again; that didn't change anything either.

I installed ASUS's router app on my (Android) phone. I tapped on Setup (Set up a new router). I chose the appropriate router series. The next screen says "Select your router to set up." Under that, I see what looks like it must be my router. It's listed as ASUS_E0. Under that name, there are a couple strings of letters, colons & numbers -- FC:34:97:38:99:E0 and FC:34:97:38:99:E4. The signal strength is shown to be "Great."

When I tap on it, I see a screen that tells me to open my mobile device's wireless settings, find and connect to my router's SSID, then return to the ASUS router app.

When I'm in settings, I see ASUS_E0 at the top of the list of wireless networks with maximum signal strength. However, when I tap on it, it asks me for a password.

What am I supposed to put as the password?! I don't see anything on the router itself, nor on any of the instructions that came with it, regarding what to put there!!

I tried entering something labeled as a PIN code on the back of the router into the password field, but that didn't work.

I went back to the app and tried the option of scanning the QR code on the back of the router, but every time I tried this (and I did so a bunch of times), I got the message, "No devices found. Make sure devices are turned on and available to connect."

WTF?!?

What should I do??

Thanks in advance for your help.

Try "asuswifi0123"

Sounds like you have a router that was not fully factory reset.
Turn the power off.
Pressing the WPS button on the side of the router, turn the power on.
The power led will come on for a while then go off. Release the WPS button and turn off the power.
Turn the power back on. The power led will light and the WIFI led's come on white with the WAN led red. If this happens the router is good and you can do setup with the app. If not, send it back to the seller or start a claim with Ebay.

Last edited:
I bought an ASUS RT-AX86U off eBay and am trying to set it up.
Your first step after buying a router off of Ebay should be to do a hard factory reset on it.

You can manually configure the router by accessing it's administration page via a web browser rather than using the Asus mobile app.

If the router's lights were momentarily turning on then turning off its possible/very likely the previous user enabled the disable LED option in the router's interface.

Thank you so much, everyone -- especially bbunge and bennor for teaching me how to do a hard factory reset on my router! That did the trick! 😁

Your first step after buying a router off of Ebay should be to do a hard factory reset on it.
From my observations - the result is often a reset reset to factory default, not a hard reset (some data remains, the data log for AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, Web History...).
Better to perform a reset and UI initialize.
1709588189877.jpeg

From my own observations - you can't get to the GUI screen with no password. 🤔
See the RESET button on the page from my link ;)
1709589408872.png

Generally, in this case, the point is that it is safer to perform another reset from the GUI (and UI initialize).

The problem is solved. There is no need for extra instructions how to reset an Asus router.

If I bought a used router, I would want to make sure it was cleaned well.
I bought an ASUS RT-AX86U off eBay

I would probably also re-upload the firmware and perform a hard reset again (with WPS and UI initialize).
Maybe I'm paranoid.

Last edited:
From my observations - the result is often a reset reset to factory default, not a hard reset (some data remains, the data log for AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, Web History...).
What do you not understand about a Hard Factory Reset?

An Asus Hard Factory Reset wipes EVERYTHING. All Settings. Everything in the /jffs including all data logs, Web History and etc. and enables a new setup on the last firmware flashed.

The OP did the right thing and I am very glad his Ebay purchase turned out OK.... so far.

What do you not understand about a Hard Factory Reset?

An Asus Hard Factory Reset wipes EVERYTHING. All Settings. Everything in the /jffs including all data logs, Web History and etc. and enables a new setup on the last firmware flashed.
What do you not understand about what I wrote about using WPS for a hard factory reset?
It usually doesn't work that way.
(some data remains, the data log for AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, Web History...)

It usually doesn't work that way.

It works exactly this way. Asus hard factory reset WPS + Power buttons is equal to Restore + Initialize in GUI.

I understand you are perhaps not convinced, but this is what it is now and it has been like this for quite some time.

Are we going to discuss Asus router reset further? Let's troubleshoot some speed tests instead! 🤓

It works exactly this way. Asus hard factory reset WPS + Power buttons is equal to Restore + Initialize in GUI.

I understand you are perhaps not convinced, but this is what it is now and it has been like this for quite some time.
I know that's how it should be, but I repeat - it doesn't work.
I've had this happen many times - most recently last week.
As I wrote, factory settings are restored but some data still remains (the data log for AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, Web History etc.).
Are we going to discuss Asus router reset further? Let's troubleshoot some speed tests instead! 🤓
Great idea ;)

View attachment 56957
Usually, a standard reset procedure could easily reset your router to the factory default settings. It is advised to try the standard reset before attempting a Hard Factory reset.

However, if the standard reset fails to restore your router to its default status, the Hard Factory Reset could be a solution before proceeding with any advanced troubleshooting.

Oh right. Asus routers are the best. Everything works fine. 🦄

Well, the AX86U sometimes does not wipe everything with a hard factory reset. This was confirmed by several in this forum.
But, a hard factory reset is still a good starting point.

Well, the AX86U sometimes does not wipe everything with a hard factory reset. This was confirmed by several in this forum.
This is what I write about all the time.
I have experienced this many times with RT-AX56U and RT-AX86S and GT-AX6000.
After using the WPS method, some data remained (like Traffic Analyzer, speedtest results etc. I haven't analyzed what hasn't been removed yet.), and after executing Restore and UI initialize, this data was cleared.
But, a hard factory reset is still a good starting point.
Yes, but the WPS method is not enough.