What's new

Need help recovering Asus Rt86u firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am using official firmware for RT86u router

Official firmware for what model router exactly? Model RT86u doesn't exist.

and it suddenly died

This is how RT-AC86U often dies. It doesn't give you any warnings. Better replace the router. Not a reliable model.

Official firmware for what model router exactly? Model RT86u doesn't exist.

This is how RT-AC86U often dies. It doesn't give you any warnings. Better replace the router. Not a reliable model.
I have RT86u here it's reference link : https://www.asus.com/supportonly/rt-ac86u/helpdesk_bios/?model2Name=RT-AC86U

unfortunately most routers now are expensive and, I don't know there's no guarantee if I purchased another Asus router won't break.
I tried as much hard as I can to fix it but, with no luck at all.

Nobody knows if their next router will break, Asus model or not.

But given yours is now broken, you need to make a decision.

Buy one that works for you.

Recycle the one that doesn't.

I have RT86u here it's reference link : https://www.asus.com/supportonly/rt-ac86u/helpdesk_bios/?model2Name=RT-AC86U

unfortunately most routers now are expensive and, I don't know there's no guarantee if I purchased another Asus router won't break.
I tried as much hard as I can to fix it but, with no luck at all.
Did you buy this router recently? You stated "my router suddenly stopped working and act weird", did anything else happen at the same time? Like power loss, lightning strike, severe thunderstorm?

It is possible the firmware needed to update or recover the router might be country/region specific. As a troubleshooting step, go to the following link and select your country, then drill down the Asus support menu to get the latest firmware for the RT-AC86U under your country/region.
https://www.asus.com/entry/

I have RT86u here it's reference link

The link clearly says RT-AC86U, not RT86u. Took 20 posts to determine the router model only! When you need help try to be more precise with the information you provide. Your router most likely failed in hardware. Don't waste your time and start looking for a replacement.

It is possible the firmware needed to update or recover the router might be country/region specific.

No, the firmware is all the same. Region information is stored in the bootloader and in few different places for this specific model. The firmware on your routers contains extra WebUI menus, but hidden for you, for example. Available and working only for region China, region specific.

1711060792456.png

This is not WebUI in Chinese. This is UU Accelerator. It's in Asuswrt, pops up when the region is China.

Last edited:
unfortunately most routers now are expensive

You need a new router. Asus model TUF Gaming AX3000 V2 is often on sale at affordable price in many countries. Similar hardware TP-Link model Archer AX55 Pro is also often at discounted price. Both are fairly new devices 2022/2023, not the latest and greatest, but good options in budget category. Plus upgrade to AX-class as a bonus.

Did you buy this router recently? You stated "my router suddenly stopped working and act weird", did anything else happen at the same time? Like power loss, lightning strike, severe thunderstorm?

It is possible the firmware needed to update or recover the router might be country/region specific. As a troubleshooting step, go to the following link and select your country, then drill down the Asus support menu to get the latest firmware for the RT-AC86U under your country/region.
https://www.asus.com/entry/
I bought this router many years ago I guess 4 years ago.
If I suspect the cause of this issue I will point to Asus merlin as I loaded Asus merlin software to get more features but, I noticed instability issues, internet connection drops, WIFI disconnect and the router firmware became sluggish so, I reverted back to Asus official firmware but, after many months the router died on me as you can see now.

The link clearly says RT-AC86U, not RT86u. Took 20 posts to determine the router model only! When you need help try to be more precise with the information you provide. Your router most likely failed in hardware. Don't waste your time and start looking for a replacement.

No, the firmware is all the same. Region information is stored in the bootloader and in few different places for this specific model. The firmware on your routers contains extra WebUI menus, but hidden for you, for example. Available and working only for region China, region specific.

View attachment 57345

This is not WebUI in Chinese. This is UU Accelerator. It's in Asuswrt, pops up when the region is China.
I am sorry if I wasn't clear about the router model but, I just used to type it like that in google to get latest firmware update and I mentioned few posts earlier that this is not the AX model.

You need a new router. Asus model TUF Gaming AX3000 V2 is often on sale at affordable price in many countries. Similar hardware TP-Link model Archer AX55 Pro is also often at discounted price. Both are fairly new devices 2022/2023, not the latest and greatest, but good options in budget category. Plus upgrade to AX-class as a bonus.
I am currently using an old TP-link router it's stable but, lack many advanced features and strong WI-FI signal it's not good as Asus router.
and now I am worried to buy any Asus router and get bricked by itself again as I saw many posts state that many Asus routers that uses Asuswrt firmware get bricked due to buggy firmware.

If I suspect the cause of this issue I will point to Asus merlin as I loaded Asus merlin software to get more features but, I noticed instability issues, internet connection drops, WIFI disconnect and the router firmware became sluggish so, I reverted back to Asus official firmware but, after many months the router died on me as you can see now.
... I saw many posts state that many Asus routers that uses Asuswrt firmware get bricked due to buggy firmware.
More likely your router was on it's way out due to hardware failure or possibly power supply failure. Generally flashing either the current stock Asus firmware or the current Asus-Merlin firmware does not "brick" a router. In the past specific instances of router bricking were due to very specific issues and in most cases there were workarounds to resolve and recover the router.

I bought this router many years ago I guess 4 years ago.

Your conclusions are wrong.

As witnessed by many, many, many examples of RMerlin firmware improving the networking experience, when installed, reset, and configured properly on a supported router.

If the instability was still there after following proper procedures, then the most likely cause is that the hardware was damaged on arrival.

I am worried to buy any Asus router and get bricked by itself again

Your specific Asus router model just has higher failure rate than others.

I just suspected Asus merlin because it's not official firmware and not tested by Asus and it might the cause of the issue as once I used the firmware problems happened.
I know that many users uses merlin and it worked fine wih them and gave them all the advanced features they need.
I can't of course say for sure it's merlin or hardware issue but, this issue happened in a normal day without doing anything to the router it suddenly dropped Wi-Fi connection and then failed to boot.

but is Asus AX-TUF 3000 v2 reliable I normally don't turn off the router, maybe schedule weekly reboot also, I would like to use VPN on the router level will the router be able to handle it without any loss in speed or any stability issues?
also, does this model support Adblocking on the network level?

but is Asus AX-TUF 3000 v2 reliable

It's a relatively new model, no one here can predict the long-term reliability.

also, does this model support Adblocking on the network level?

Asuswrt-Merlin fork for it is work-in-progress, see GNUton GitHub page here.

I would like to use VPN on the router level will the router be able to handle it without any loss in speed

This router can do about 100Mbps on OpenVPN and about 300Mbps on WireGuard.

Last edited:
Asuswrt-Merlin fork for it is work-in-progress, see GNUton GitHub page here.
I am sorry I am new to understanding GitHub but, I didn't see anything related to Adblocking on the router level.
also, I am now worried to use any third-party software I hope Asus support this feature in the official software as they did with DNS over TLS.

I hope Asus support this feature in the official software as they did with DNS over TLS.

DNS-over-TLS has nothing to do with adblocking and both stock Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin never had built-in adblocker. You perhaps used adblocking DNS like AdGuard. This is available.

DNS-over-TLS has nothing to do with adblocking and both stock Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin never had built-in adblocker. You perhaps used adblocking DNS like AdGuard. This is available.
I am sorry for my bad explanation what I meant is DNS over TLS was introduced first in Asus merlin and then became available in the official Asus software.

So, Asus won't support Adblocking feature on the router level as netduma r3 with Duma OS 4?

I just suspected Asus merlin because it's not official firmware and not tested by Asus and it might the cause of the issue as once I used the firmware problems happened.
The developer of Asus Merlin (@RMerlin ) is in contact with Asus and gets the firmware GPL's direct from Asus. If Asus had a problem with the Asus-Merlin firmware they'd shut down that access and stop providing GPL's. It should be noted that Asus "tested" firmware itself has cause issues with people's routers. More than once Asus made updates that rendered some people's routers unusable for a period of time. In some cases the Asus-Merlin firmware was unaffected by those errors made by Asus.

If you want ad-blocking at the router level then look into Asus-Merlin add-on scripts like Skynet Diversion or AdGuardHome.
Otherwise your options are to use specific DNS servers that block ads and input those (or select them) from the WAN DNS server section. Or use ad blocking programs like Pi-Hole on other local network devices and point the LAN client's DNS to that local network ad-blocking device.

Last edited:
You mean Diversion and AdGuard Home.

Asus never had built-in adblocker in firmware.
Actually, Asus does support ad blocking in the Android and iOS app under safe browsing.