What's new

Need help recovering Asus Rt86u firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sasuke

Occasional Visitor
my router suddenly stopped working and act weird the Wi-Fi light goes off and the router restarts, and I can't access the router homepage I tried to use firmware restoration using oldest firmware but, it says failed to recover the system.
what I can do to make it work and recover it again as it seems that the firmware corrupted, and the router bricked.

Do you have an RT-AC86U or an RT-AX86U?
Have you tried doing a hard factory reset on the router as a troubleshooting step?
And to confirm, was the computer used to run the Asus firmware restoration tool directly connected to the router using a Ethernet wire with nothing else connected to the router?
As another troubleshooting step, use the current stock Asus router firmware when using the Asus firmware restoration tool

Welcome to the forums @Sasuke.

How long are you allowing the firmware restoration to be completed? It may take more than half an hour. Be extra patient when you're on that step. When it completes, the router should reboot itself. (And, you'll see the setup SSIDs).

Do you have an RT-AC86U or an RT-AX86U?
Have you tried doing a hard factory reset on the router as a troubleshooting step?
And to confirm, was the computer used to run the Asus firmware restoration tool directly connected to the router using a Ethernet wire with nothing else connected to the router?
As another troubleshooting step, use the current stock Asus router firmware when using the Asus firmware restoration tool
I have the RT86U the old version of the AX.
Yes, I tried the WPS method to hard reset the router to get it ready for rescue mode.
Yes, the laptop was connected directly to the router via Ethernet cable but, what I noticed when the router not in rescue mode and connect it to Ethernet cable it go crazy as the lights of Wi-Fi turns off and it restarts it do weird things even in rescue mode with newer firmware files it restart and exit rescue mode which cause the operation to fail it reach about 52% and then firmware restoration tool says that the router not in rescue mode.

so, i tried old firmware which last a little bit longer which is 62% but in the end, it fails to recover the system.

Welcome to the forums @Sasuke.

How long are you allowing the firmware restoration to be completed? It may take more than half an hour. Be extra patient when you're on that step. When it completes, the router should reboot itself. (And, you'll see the setup SSIDs).
unfortunately it fails in middle of the operation and it displays error message that it failed to recover the system.

Ignore those messages and just be patient.

Ignore those messages and just be patient.
Thank you for your reply, I let the laptop upload the firmware update through all the night but, unfortunately it didn't fix the issue.
is there's any other solution or special firmware to upload to the router to fix it?

Sorry to hear it didn't work for you. I hope others can offer other suggestions.

I'll just repeat that I would attempt to reset the router (via all methods available; reset and WPS buttons) and then try again with the firmware restoration tool.

Be sure you're checking to see if any setup SSIDS show up (during all phases above), and unplug the Ethernet cable from the router too (and also put the IP back to Obtain IP Address Automatically on your laptop/PC).

Sorry to hear it didn't work for you. I hope others can offer other suggestions.

I'll just repeat that I would attempt to reset the router (via all methods available; reset and WPS buttons) and then try again with the firmware restoration tool.

Be sure you're checking to see if any setup SSIDS show up (during all phases above), and unplug the Ethernet cable from the router too (and also put the IP back to Obtain IP Address Automatically on your laptop/PC).
the router shows the default SSID and sometimes I can connect to it wirelessly but, after few seconds it becomes unstable and disconnect, I guess due to uncompleted operation of firmware restoration.
if I plugged the Ethernet cable to the router in the normal mode it will disconnect immediately and start showing strange behavior.

Attachments

• 20240320_180807.jpg
    20240320_180807.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 39
I hope its not the case, and I really don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but wifi lights turning off are a sign of this router dying.

The ac86u is well known for it's high failure rates, and it usually starts with the wifi lights.

I don't know but, the router is acting weird if I exit rescue mode by turning off the router using the switch it won't work and only power led will light up but, if I turned off the router for few minutes all the lights and the router will work normally but once I connect to the router it will go crazy again and get stuck lights and lights go off and these strange stuff.
so, I think it's firmware issue if I managed to fully flash and restore the firmware correctly, I guess it will work normally again.

Attachments

• 20240321_140743.jpg
    20240321_140743.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20240321_142507.jpg
    20240321_142507.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 26
... turning off the router using the switch it won't work and only power led will light up ...
If I understand what you are saying; that turning off the physical power switch on the router the router's power LED remains lit then that would likely indicate some sort of hardware problem with the router and it's power switch not a firmware problem.

Other things to consider. Dying power supply can sometimes lead to strange things happening with a router. Something to consider investigating if you have a volt meter and can read the voltage/amperage info on the power brick.

Last edited:
If I understand what you are saying; that turning off the physical power switch on the router the router's power LED remains lit then that would likely indicate some sort of hardware problem with the router and it's power switch not a firmware problem.

Other things to consider. Dying power supply can sometimes lead to strange things happening with a router. Something to consider investigating if you have a volt meter and can read the voltage/amperage info on the power brick.
I have no clue but, what I meant by the LEDs acting weird they act weird is when put the router in normal mode and connect it to an Ethernet but, in rescue mode or after hard resetting the router they will light up normal, but all weird stuff happens when I try to connect to the router.

Also, I noticed something when I tried to upload latest firmware it displayed error message says, "failed to restore the system."
but, with newest firmware upload attempt it says upload failed and operation cancelled and, the router exits the rescue mode.

If you haven't done so already, try using a different computer wired to the router when using the Asus firmware restore tool. Also try a different network port on the router.

And stupid question time, but you have the computer connected to one of the router's four LAN ports, and not the router's WAN port correct?

PS: And have you configured the computer's IP address and subnet as directed in the above how to use the Rescue Mode link?
IP address: 192.168.1.10
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Your photos are showing an AC86 not an AX model as the front is different on them.

Screenshot 2024-03-21 104933.png

Screenshot 2024-03-21 105010.png

If your are trying to use AX firmware then that is why it is failing.
You need this firmware.

Your photos are showing an AC86 not an AX model as the front is different on them.
It was asked earlier up discussion if they had the RT-AC86U or the RT-AX86U, this was the OP's reply:
I have the RT86U the old version of the AX.
And as you mention a good point, using the wrong router firmware will not work to restore the router.

Thank you all for your replies.
I am using official firmware for RT86u router with Asus firmware restoration tool but, unfortunately with no luck to make it work right.

What I have done lately is I let the router few minutes and connected to the router via WIFI and managed to enter setup process but, during setting up the router the router software break as usual that's what makes me sure this is firmware issue as restoration process can't completed successfully.
and of course the red internet LED turn off and the router become inaccessible or unusable again I have to turn it off for few minutes to reset it to be able attempt once again.

if there's special firmware that is very small to be uploaded quickly to the router before it stuck and fail to restore the system I don't know I tried as much as I can and I know but, didn't work for me.

Attachments

• 20240321_163342.jpg
    20240321_163342.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240321_220857.jpg
    20240321_220857.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 86u.png
    86u.png
    492.5 KB · Views: 23
If you haven't done so already, try using a different computer wired to the router when using the Asus firmware restore tool. Also try a different network port on the router.

And stupid question time, but you have the computer connected to one of the router's four LAN ports, and not the router's WAN port correct?

PS: And have you configured the computer's IP address and subnet as directed in the above how to use the Rescue Mode link?
I tried this method and tried even with IP 192.168.50.10 but, no luck :(