What's new

Need help-- Routers for Teaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asus, all the way. :)

AFAIK the RT-AC88U doesn't support bonding (link aggregation) of two WAN connections, only dual-WAN (i.e. load balancing or fail-over).

The only Asus router that I'm aware of (although there might be others) that supports WAN aggregation is the RT-AX88U.

AFAIK the RT-AC88U doesn't support bonding (link aggregation) of two WAN connections, only dual-WAN (i.e. load balancing or fail-over).

The only Asus router that I'm aware of (although there might be others) that supports WAN aggregation is the RT-AX88U.
Asus's Website-Asus RT-AC88U-Link aggregation for up to 2Gbps wired network speeds, so more devices can enjoy faster access. Wan in two Lan out exactly what I was looking for
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1016088/

Asus's Website-Asus RT-AC88U-Link aggregation for up to 2Gbps wired network speeds, so more devices can enjoy faster access. Wan in two Lan out exactly what I was looking for
OK, but in post #11 you said of your PC, "Individually computer shows them at 1GB When you set up aggregation you get a combined reading of 2GB. Just trying to get more download speed."

I took this to mean you were trying to increase the download speed from the internet to your PC. If this is the case then there is no point implementing any sort of link aggregation unless your internet feed is greater then 1Gbps.

The example scenario in that Asus FAQ is for using link aggregation to increase throughput to a NAS serving multiple clients on the LAN. The key phrase there is "more devices", which means multiple concurrent clients, not a single PC.

The router has a dual wan option- that go out of two lan ports. In the Dual wan setup asks for what to use as second wan it has three options and one of them is Ethernet Lan. with my motherboard I have two jacks and software drivers to set up for link aggregation . Individually computer shows them at 1GB When you set up aggregation you get a combined reading of 2GB. Just trying to get more download speed.

This will not get you more 'download speed' unless your ISP provides greater than 1Gbps up/down service. And from the previous posts, this doesn't seem likely.

Using link aggregation on your desktop's motherboard to the router won't give other devices greater speeds either unless you are using your desktop as a server.

At best, you are increasing the complexity of your setup and also losing one LAN port from the router too.

If you were using link aggregation with a NAS, this 'need' would make more sense (if your desktop isn't your NAS, of course). :)

This will not get you more 'download speed' unless your ISP provides greater than 1Gbps up/down service. And from the previous posts, this doesn't seem likely.

Using link aggregation on your desktop's motherboard to the router won't give other devices greater speeds either unless you are using your desktop as a server.

At best, you are increasing the complexity of your setup and also losing one LAN port from the router too.

If you were using link aggregation with a NAS, this 'need' would make more sense (if your desktop isn't your NAS, of course). :)
"Using link aggregation on your desktop's motherboard to the router" No--- Modem to WAN, on modem Lan1 and Lan2 to the computer into jack1 and jack2 Then see if my downloads increase cause instead of 1GB using one adapter I'll be using two adapters combined to get 2GB.

"Using link aggregation on your desktop's motherboard to the router" No--- Modem to WAN, on modem Lan1 and Lan2 to the computer into jack1 and jack2 Then see if my downloads increase cause instead of 1GB using one adapter I'll be using two adapters combined to get 2GB.

You are very confused and you're confusing me more. :)

What are your ISP paid-for speeds?

This makes no sense.:confused:

"on modem Lan1 and Lan2 to the computer into jack1 and jack2". Do you mean: "on router Lan1 and Lan2 to the computer into jack1 and jack2"?

If you mean "router" then increasing the router-to-PC speed from 1Gbps to 2Gbps won't increase your download speed from the internet. If your internet feed is 200Mbps (for example) your PC will still only be downloading at 200Mbps.

W
This makes no sense.:confused:

"on modem Lan1 and Lan2 to the computer into jack1 and jack2". Do you mean: "on router Lan1 and Lan2 to the computer into jack1 and jack2"?

If you mean "router" then increasing the router-to-PC speed from link aggregation won't increase your download speed from the internet. If your internet feed is 200Mbps (for example) your PC will still only be downloading at 200Mbps.
Well I don't get it, then why have routers with link aggregation/ Isn't going 1Gbps to 2Gbps a good thing?

W

Well I don't get it, then why have routers with link aggregation/ Isn't going 1Gbps to 2Gbps a good thing?

Sure, when we pay attention to what it is meant to do. :)

The example scenario in that Asus FAQ is for using link aggregation to increase throughput to a NAS serving multiple clients on the LAN. The key phrase there is "more devices", which means multiple concurrent clients, not a single PC.

Sure, when we pay attention to what it is meant to do. :)
I give up I'm just going to buy a new router and not care if it has link aggregation(you guys win). I have Hughs.net coming Thursday they are going to replace my Dish internet and double my package From 5GB to 10GB, you guys got any advise for which router to get which is famous for stability?

I give up I'm just going to buy a new router and not care if it has link aggregation(you guys win). I have Hughs.net coming Thursday they are going to replace my Dish internet and double my package From 5GB to 10GB, you guys got any advise for which router to get which is famous for stability?

5GB / month download limit to 10GB / month download limit? (You really need to work on your terminology if you want the help you require).

Anything below about 300Mbps download and upload speeds will be easily met with an RT-AC68U running RMerlin firmware and using a spare USB drive to install amtm and it's available scripts.

M&M Config https://www.snbforums.com/threads/n...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

Sanitize Network https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac66u-slow-wan-to-lan.12973/page-3#post-269410

amtm Step-by-Step https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/#post-483421

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!