What's new

Need help! RT-AC56U Reboots every 20 seconds...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rmccomiskie

New Around Here
I 've been running Asus stock FW for a while. iPad performance on .11n was poor so I reflashed Merlin. Then, because I'm familiar with dd-wrt, I decided to try that. I reflashed dd-wrt from the Merlin UI. Performance of dd-wrt wasn't very good so I reflashed back to Merlin from the dd-wrt UI. On reboot, dd-wrt came back up instead of Merling (?). Reflashed Merlin again from dd-wrt. Same result. I did the Reset on power up and got to the recovery screen. Reflashed Merlin and saw the Merlin UI once. I rebooted and now can't connect. The Asus flashes all lights on the back every 20 seconds. I assume it's rebooting. I haven't found a button combo that changes the behavior and I can't get to the recovery screen.

What else shall I try?

Update: I downloaded the Asus Firmware Recovery Utility. When I try to reflash the firmware it says "The wireless router is not in recovery mode." That's the problem, the Reset with power on doesn't force recovery mode. Is there some other way to force it into recovery mode?

Last edited:
Let the power button to on and remove the cable. After that press the reset and put the power cable back in, keep the reset pressed until you get the proper led on.
Maybe you already did this, just wanted to be sure that you did it properly by removing the power cable and not using the on/off button.

Yes. I tried it both ways...with the power button and with the power cable. Neither works. It's been a while since I bought this but I'm going to try the Asus warranty and see what happens.

Update: Got an RMA from Asus. Sending it back. I'm betting I get a different serial number. It doesn't look like there's an easy way to open this thing to do a manual reflash.

Last edited: