What's new

Need help setting up WiFi access in Office

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yobocuruyo

Occasional Visitor
Hello there,

I'm looking for some help. I am asking here because I have always used Asus routers. I need advice on what equipment to buy to be able to provide internet access to our members and also provide guest wifi with a captive portal for our visitors. We have a large office with 2 floors (4 rooms each). I have read about aimesh, also about asus wifi expert, but not sure what is really needed. For now, we have a router provided by our ISP, but not really usable because it is in a really bad place because of where the cables are mounted.

How many users? Do you have local servers? Are you all cloud based? How many wired connections and how many Wi-Fi users? Do you need IP phones at their desks?
If you have more than 20 users, clients not devices, then you need a pro. ASUS skills won't do.

Asus doesn't offer a captive portal. You may need to rethink that requirement or consider other options.

Asus doesn't offer a captive portal. You may need to rethink that requirement or consider other options.
It does in 3006. It's based on Coovachili. I don't know how well it works however, I never really looked into it.

How many users? Do you have local servers? Are you all cloud based? How many wired connections and how many Wi-Fi users? Do you need IP phones at their desks?
If you have more than 20 users, clients not devices, then you need a pro. ASUS skills won't do.
No more than 30 people, no severs, no IP phone needed. We do have computers, printers that are already cabled.

When you get a lot of cables because you have a lot of users it gets much harder than home. When I worked we used all Cisco enterprise networking equipment. I only setup 1 office after I retired for 19 users with IP phones and I used all Cisco small business equipment. Nowadays, I would use Pfsense for a router and Cisco small business switches and wireless.

If I buy 4 ASUS ExpertWiFi EBM68 Business Mesh. How does it work ? Do I simply connect one of them with the cable to the modem from the ISP and then the others will work as access point with mesh ?

Similar to consumer ZenWiFi XT8/XT9 sets with different marketing. The same Asuswrt with the same AiMesh. Look somewhere else for reliable and expandable business network. Ask for professional help and installation.

Similar to consumer ZenWiFi XT8/XT9 sets with different marketing. The same Asuswrt with the same AiMesh. Look somewhere else for reliable and expandable business network. Ask for professional help and installation.
You mean this is not a good product ?

This is a new marketing product based on existing consumer products with brand new firmware currently in development. You and your business will be the beta testers, the device will share data with Asus (firmware development and updates) and Trend Micro (3rd party Internet security company) and will also do automatic firmware updates without asking you and with no warning. On business products market all three are seen as concern. The last one can be potentially business disrupting. If you know what you need, but have no knowledge how to do it - look for local professional advice. People in the field will recommend you the right hardware for your needs.

If you have 30 people and your network goes down that is a lot of wasted salary, money down the drain.

This needs some funding perhaps similar to the way you've got your computers, printers, furniture, etc. You perhaps have monthly expenses for rent and utilities as well. Four EBM68 units (2x 2-pack) are minimum $1000. You still need the money for this project and what you get for $1000 may not be the best option for your needs. Questions about entire new business network setup come here regularly. An Internet forum for consumer products is not the right place to seek advice plus we know nothing about country, Wi-Fi regulations in place, building materials, coverage area, etc. Your questions will result in guessing game answers at best with potential loss of money on your end. Someone who knows networking and on site with you explaining what do you need - this is the only right approach. Tell them the budget and go from there.

Hello there,

I'm looking for some help. I am asking here because I have always used Asus routers. I need advice on what equipment to buy to be able to provide internet access to our members and also provide guest wifi with a captive portal for our visitors. We have a large office with 2 floors (4 rooms each). I have read about aimesh, also about asus wifi expert, but not sure what is really needed. For now, we have a router provided by our ISP, but not really usable because it is in a really bad place because of where the cables are mounted.

You need more than what a home/consumer router can provide...