What's new

Need help upgrading Verizon Fios set up and looking for a youtuber who does reviews.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mrchub

New Around Here
Hello, I am ditching my Fios triple pack and moving to just Internet 200mbps. I have their router but I'll be giving it back and buying my own. I have two main areas that need to be covered about 20ft apart and at the moment can only get wifi in the back of the apartment with a wifi extender from Verizon.

Id like to buy a router that can cover the whole apartment if possible, id also like 4 open ports after the wan port. I have two computers hardwired and a roku 4k, then about 6 or so wireless devices from phones, ipad ands other streaming devices. id like a good interface when controlling the router and my budget is 200-300. If I need to go with mesh or extender that is fine also. I should have access to wifi 6 from Verizon, so id like that possibility also.

I have an lutron light set up, controlled by alexa, so 2.5 and 5gz is needed.

Is there anyone on YouTube who reviews routers so I can see what the newest 2019/2020 offerings are? The pinned post here does not show any current information.

Last edited:
Hello, I am ditching my Fios triple pack and moving to just Internet 200mbps. I have their router but I'll be giving it back and buying my own. I have two main areas that need to be covered about 20ft apart and at the moment can only get wifi in the back of the apartment with a wifi extender from Verizon.

Id like to buy a router that can cover the whole apartment if possible, id also like 4 open ports after the wan port. I have two computers hardwired and a roku 4k, then about 6 or so wireless devices from phones, ipad ands other streaming devices. id like a good interface when controlling the router and my budget is 200-300. If I need to go with mesh or extender that is fine also. I should have access to wifi 6 from Verizon, so id like that possibility also.

I have an lutron light set up, controlled by alexa, so 2.5 and 5gz is needed.

Is there anyone on YouTube who reviews routers so I can see what the newest 2019/2020 offerings are? The pinned post here does not show any current information.

Here's an AC router on sale with free expedited shipping:

OE

How many SqFt is that apartment?

If you are able to centrally locate the router, almost all will cover an apartment. If the router is inside/beside or on top of a metal box, move it.

The router I would be looking at buying today would be the RMerlin supported (waiting for the firmware to drop...) RT-AX86U.

The other two worth considering are the RT-AC86U as mentioned above and the RT-AX88U.

How many SqFt is that apartment?

If you are able to centrally locate the router, almost all will cover an apartment. If the router is inside/beside or on top of a metal box, move it.

The router I would be looking at buying today would be the RMerlin supported (waiting for the firmware to drop...) RT-AX86U.

The other two worth considering are the RT-AC86U as mentioned above and the RT-AX88U.

I don't know the exact number but its at least 20ft from my living room to my bedroom. I cannot locate in the center it would need to be at one side of the house.

Those look like great options, I liked the one linked above but your option has wifi 6 included and that seems like a good thing to buy now. When you say you are waiting on the firmware, does it not run properly as is?

Here's an AC router on sale with free expedited shipping:

OE
Thank you for the suggestion.

Anything not running RMerlin firmware 'doesn't run properly' for me. :D

The 'Pre-beta test builds (occasionally available)' found from the link above is where it will first appear (I guess).

Any modern router (with the exception of ISP supplied units) would/should easily reach 20' to the bedroom! :)

If you need to buy something now, those are the ones to look at.

If you can wait (for months...), the newest routers will be Wi-Fi 6E versions which should make all of them (ideally), true 3-radio/3-band routers with throughput like we haven't seen before). But I am expecting to be testing those for customers next summer, and it doesn't seem to wait for them is an option for you today.

Anything not running RMerlin firmware 'doesn't run properly' for me. :D

The 'Pre-beta test builds (occasionally available)' found from the link above is where it will first appear (I guess).

Any modern router (with the exception of ISP supplied units) would/should easily reach 20' to the bedroom! :)

If you need to buy something now, those are the ones to look at.

If you can wait (for months...), the newest routers will be Wi-Fi 6E versions which should make all of them (ideally), true 3-radio/3-band routers with throughput like we haven't seen before). But I am expecting to be testing those for customers next summer, and it doesn't seem to wait for them is an option for you today.
I gotta buy one by the end of the month haha. Iv'e never had a non ISP provided router so all this firmware talk is going over my head a bit lol. Thank you for all the help and the options!

With the release of Alpha 3, the RT-AX86U is officially supported and available by RMerlin.

Buy the router, flash the Alpha 3 firmware, reset to factory defaults, and... don't look back. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!