Need help w/Merlin+Diversion+Skynet Setup

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Zim

Occasional Visitor
I need some help configuring my router. I'm currently using: AX11000 w/Merlin 286.3 firmware.

Installing Merlin firmware, AMTM, Diversion and Skynet was a breeze (thanks to all the posts and guides out there). I just can't find/figure out the right combination of settings to get everything working in harmony. I've read up on a lot of posts and tried a different setting configs, but I can only get some things to work and not others. Here is what I want to achieve (in order of importance).

1.) AdBlock with Diversion + OpenVPN Family (DNS Filtering) on selective devices.
- I was able to get this to work by setting the IPs on the WAN DNS Server1 and DNS Server2 , but it enables OpenVPN on all devices. I want AdBlock on ALL devices and OpenVPN on some deivces. Is this possible?​

2.) Then I'd like to expand this to VPN Clients. I have some devices using different VPN servers (VPN1 and VPN2) and some going straight to WAN using VPN director. I would like to have all devices connected to VPN to use adblock and only some of those devices to have DNS filtering.
- I've read that for this to happen I need to set Redirect Internet traffic through tunnel to Yes (all) and Accept DNS Configuration to Exclusive. As I understand it, that means ALL devices connected to the router will use only VPN1. Can I still use VPN director for this?​

3.) Then I'd like to expand into Skynet to enhance firewall.
- I was able to get Diversion and Skynet to work, but I find my IoT devices have spotty connectivity and some just don't connect.​
- With over 100 IoT devices from different manufacturers, what is the best approach to setting this up?​
- How do I find out which devices are using which ports? Maybe I need to unrestrict them from Skynet?​

4.) Then I'd like to apply all of the above to the Guest Network.
- I have YazFi installed and have not tinkered with it much, but I think setting DNS Server 1, DNS Server 1 and VPN Client No. should get me there, correct? Diversion, Skynet and DNS filtering should all work, right?​
5.) Lastly, VPN speeds.
- When connecting to a specific VPN server via their app on the computer I get good speeds (600+Mbps DL). When I connect to the same server without the app and through the router VPN client settings, the speed drops to about 250Mbps.​
- I contacted their support and other than asking me to run more speedtests they haven't been able to explain the discrepancy.​
- I am assuming this is due to the differences in the CPU of the computer vs the router, correct?​
Thanks for any help with any of the items above.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!