What's new

Need help with Cisco RV042 Dual WAN Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mellontikos

New Around Here
Hello everyone.

I'm a new user to the site, but not new to networking concept.

I am having a hell of a time with a Cisco RV042 Dual WAN Router.

This Router has next to zero documentation available, and a lot of what it does has had to be tested by me thru trial and error.

I got mostly everything working, except for the Dual WAN portion of it. It doesn't work properly.

I will try to be as detailed as I can while also being brief.

I have 2 separate ISP connections. One is a Cable connection with a Motorola Surfboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem. It is a 26mb down/1mb up link

The other is a DSL connection with a TP-Link ADSL2+ modem, at 16mb down/1mb up connection.

Both are hooked up to WAN1 and WAN2 respectively.

WAN1 is the Cable connection. I have it set to get a DHCP address automatically and that works fine, it picks up the correct IP/Gateway pretty much always.

WAN2 is the DSL, which I have set for PPPoE, and after much much experimentation, I found the best setting to be "Keep Alive = 30 seconds

I then set up the Router to do Load Balancing, with WAN 1 at 30000 down/1200 up

WAN 2 is setup as 20000 down / 1200 up

I then set up Network Service Detection (again, after much much much testing) and set to the following for both connections:

Retry count = 3
Retry timeout = 3 seconds
When fail = Keep system log and remove connection
DNS Lookup Host is checked only, and www.google.ca is set for the DNS address to check.

WAN2 exactly the same except www.google.com is used instead of .ca

It's a version 3 hardware, with the latest v4.2.3.03 firmware loaded.

System log is successfully logging when NSD fails to ping the DNS lookup.

So the problem is that, at one point, if there's too many fails, it will disconnect it, and will NOT reroute traffic to the other WAN. It just simply goes dead until I turn off one of the modems physically (and it usually doesn't matter which one)

I don't know what else to try. Unless I am missing something here, it would seem to me that the Router is just not doing the Dual WAN function properly.

Anyone ever have to deal with this Router? I am getting so sick of it, that I am thinking of just building a PC with pfSense on it and going thru the learning curve of setting it up for Dual WAN function.

I rather not go thru all that though. If anyone can suggest something I'd appreciate it.