What's new

Need help with home network dilemna

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OBENZ

Regular Contributor
So I have been running my home network on wifi mostly as the guy who did the wiring when I did the renovation of my house screwed it up. The only place I can have my isp modem is in the kitchen. So I have the ISP modem there , called another guy who put a cat5e cable through the ceiling to reach my 86u router, from there it’s just wifi for the whole house and 4 clients in the same room as the router. At the same time he managed to pull 2 other cat5e cables to 2 other rooms. Fast forward to today, when I plug the cable from one of the rooms to my laptop I get no connection. My question is, since I’m using the ISP modem as a bridge essentially without any dhcp to not mess with my router settings, is this what’s causing a no connection error ?
Tdlr: cable going from ISP modem to ASUS router working fine as plugged in wan but other cable going from ISP modem to my laptop throws out no connection error

You have to reboot the modem if you change devices connected to it. ISP's use sticky static IP's bound to the MAC of the device connected. Otherwise to test the additional drops you might need 2 PC's and configure them with static IP's w/o a gateway and see if you can ping the other side. If you can't then the cables need to be reterminated and test again.

Tdlr: cable going from ISP modem to ASUS router working fine as plugged in wan but other cable going from ISP modem to my laptop throws out no connection error

Normal. Your ISP modem/router is in bridge mode. If you want to use the LAN ports, you have to switch back to router mode. Your Asus router can be as router in double NAT or as Access Point + Switch to your ISP router. Your choice.

using the ISP modem as a bridge

Or you can have him come back and run one more cat5e cable between the isp modem location and your router. Then install a 5 port switch by the isp modem and plug the two cables in.

if you have any coax going to the right places you could use moca modems to do the same thing or even powerline, maybe, if that gives you enough bandwidth.

or you can change the configuration as previously mentioned.

Normal. Your ISP modem/router is in bridge mode. If you want to use the LAN ports, you have to switch back to router mode. Your Asus router can be as router in double NAT or as Access Point + Switch to your ISP router. Your choice.
It’s not a bridge per se as there’s no option to turn it into a bridge, I just disabled it’s wifi and dhcp . If I switch my ASUS to access point I lose a lot of options since the ISP modem is dumbed down significantly

Or you can have him come back and run one more cat5e cable between the isp modem location and your router. Then install a 5 port switch by the isp modem and plug the two cables in.

if you have any coax going to the right places you could use moca modems to do the same thing or even powerline, maybe, if that gives you enough bandwidth.

or you can change the configuration as previously mentioned.

i already have power lines rated at 1200 but it’s the reason why I did the cabling as the most I got out of those power lines is maybe 30% and it creates latency as well.
The switch idea is interesting but I’ll need another cable indeed :/

first I’ll just plug the laptop directly to the laptop, maybe that cable got damaged then I’ll try the access point mode but that will just mess up my whole current network setup and would have to redo a lot of things :(

It’s not a bridge per se as there’s no option to turn it into a bridge, I just disabled it’s wifi and dhcp

What WAN IP is your Asus router getting? Enable DHCP so connected devices can get an IP address.

What WAN IP is your Asus router getting? Enable DHCP so connected devices can get an IP address.
WAN ip from the ISP, since the ISP modem is for fiber I need to use it to get the signal but identification etc is done on my ASUS router

what equipment & model did the ISP (who?) provide ? Should be an ONT and router combined or separate.
If you turn DHCP back on in the ISP router, you should have a functioning cable for other devices unless there is a physical issue.
Having double NAT is usually not an issue. Is there something in your use case that cannot accept double NAT ?

So here’s the thing, ASUS router is plugged through a LAN port from the ONT but when plugging other LAN cables nothing works I just plugged into my laptop and I get an auto generated up adress so I can’t access to ONT login page …

but identification etc is done on my ASUS router

If you have disabled gateway part on the ISP equipment, the only router you have is the Asus. Extra LAN ports on you ISP equipment won't work. What's the WAN IP address of you Asus router? Is it 192.168.x.x or something else?

If you have disabled gateway part on the ISP equipment, the only router you have is the Asus. Extra LAN ports on you ISP equipment won't work. What's the WAN IP address of you Asus router? Is it 192.168.x.x or or something else?
No the wan II is not my LAN ip, it’s the ISP ip so 10x.xx

This is not a public IP from your ISP, but a local IP from your ISP router. Your Asus router is in double NAT. If you want the LAN ports of your ISP router working, just enable DHCP on it. The devices connected there will use your ISP router. They will have no access to your Asus router network though.

Yep that’s correct 192.168.1.x
This is not public WAN IP from your ISP, but a local IP from your ISP router. Your Asus router is in double NAT. If you want the LAN ports of your ISP router working, just enable DHCP on it. The devices connected there will use your ISP router.
I edited my reply after I reread your questions as I m thought you wanted to see if I’m using the lan ip

No the wan II is not my LAN ip, it’s the ISP ip so 10x.xx

10.x.x.x range is also private. I don't have a router with Asuswrt-Merlin at the moment, but if go to WAN, DDNS do you get the following message:

The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address.
This router may be in the multiple-NAT environment and DDNS service cannot work in this environment.

10.x.x.x range is also private. I don't have a router with Asuswrt-Merlin at the moment, but if go to WAN, DDNS do you get the following message:

The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address.
This router may be in the multiple-NAT environment and DDNS service cannot work in this environment.
Nope it’s definitely my ISP IP. I have a ddns set up and it auto refreshes whenever my isp change the IP. I remember why I changes the ASUS router to router instead of AP mode, most functionality was lost I also lost coin trop over devices history and other parental controls also double Nat would create problems with my other devices as I would have two networks :( I have a spare ASUS 86u with dead wifi module but dunoo how it would help :(

If your Asus router works in AP Mode too, it definitely has an IP address assigned from your ISP router. I'm getting a bit tired here...

If your Asus router works in AP Mode too, it definitely has an IP address assigned from your ISP router. I'm getting a bit tired here...
Sorry :( but the ASUS router is not getting an internal IP, all my ISP info as my login and password and even the VID number is from the ISP. Also my wan connection is set to PPOe so definitely not an internal ip from the ONT

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!