What's new

Need help with home network dilemna

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Then your ISP equipment is a modem bridge only. What LAN ports do you expect there to work?

Then your ISP equipment is a modem bridge only. What LAN ports do you expect there to work?
It is on modem bridge mode only if I remember correctly as I set it up few years ago. So what solution do I have as I don’t want to rely on my wifi as I have some dead spots in 2 rooms. I now realised how stupid it was to route from the modem instead of cabling from the router :(

So what solution do I have

- ISP modem/router with Wi-Fi enabled, wired to an Access Point with the same SSIDs
- Asus router next to the ISP modem only, wired to an Access Point with the same SSIDs or AiMesh node (second Asus router)

- ISP modem/router with Wi-Fi enabled, wired to an Access Point with the same SSIDs
- Asus router next to the ISP modem only, wired to an Access Point with the same SSIDs or AiMesh node (second Asus router)
I guess I’ll have to reset my isp ONT to be able to connect to it as I successfully connected to the wifi of the ont but since dhcp is disabled I got a private IP. Thanks for the help and suggestion will report back

I successfully connected to the wifi of the ont

I don't know what is going on with your settings. Modem only doesn't have Wi-Fi option. Your Asus is perhaps stealing the external server connection through PPPoE Pass-through enabled on the ISP device. You have to read the user manuals and clear up the mess.

Last edited:
please provide the ISP equipment names and model numbers so we can give you more direct help.
A sketch of the network layout with all equipment/model #s and connections labeled would be helpful.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!