What's new

Need Help with Random Disconnects AC68P

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jasqid

New Around Here
Hello folks. I need some help with trying to figure out whats happening with my connection. I thought it was firmware related, now I'm thinking its gone defective on me.... I ve attached my log file for someone more experienced to look at it.

I purchased the AC68P from BestBuy in March and put the then current Merlin FW on it. Had no issues until I went from 278.53 to the .54_x. So I thought. The last 2 weeks I started having drop outs on the wired and wireless. It is very random from every 10 minutes to perhaps 2 hours until it happens again. From what I see in the log file I found entries for "WAN was restored" and several lines above that "WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly".
I am not sure if this is my rather new Moto SB 6120 or the router itself. I have Comcast Blast 100/15. This connection has been in service for 12-13 years and has been rock solid. (New construction 2000). Modem pwr level has always been 10 to 11 db.

Last night I reflashed the Asus current firmware from Jun 2015. I think it was listed as Beta... and I still got the random resets/disconnects.

I think in a searched post I did see Merlin suggested checking the Ethernet wires between router and modem and connections etc... I have yet to do that (I am at work) and can try that tonight. I did disconnect everything a couple weeks ago when cleaning the area and reconnected.... But in the mean time I was hoping to get some trouble shoot help started with additional ideas to try. And if there is something in this log I didn't see or understand you can point it out.

THX.

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    40.9 KB · Views: 685
According to that log your router is crashing and rebooting. Try a factory default reset + manual reconfiguration of your router settings. Also make sure it doesn't overheat.

Oh no.
I have done several factory resets and manual reconfigs. I went from your 54_1 to 54_2 and last night to the OEM current Asus. All doing a factory reset after flash. ALthought, I did this via the web GUI and not holding the reset button down. I dunno if that matters.?

As for the overheating... don't think so. My demarcation is my cool basement for all networking hardware.

Last edited:
UPDATE:
I just got home and factory reset - flashed your .53 (Apr 28 2015 build) back on (as I had no problems with that). Unplugged everything, LAN/WAN cables and power cord. Sat 5 minutes. plugged in power and let it boot. held reset button down for 5-10 seconds until pwr lite was blinking. After 10 minutes unplugged.

Reconnected all cables. Powered up modem, powered up AC68P. Its been up just over an hour now (looking at system log) and no disconnects. Alos went with new WIFI info so all devices need re-added. Will see what happens.

lasted 3hrs until i started streaming from my hdhomerun. it just disconnected. After trying different firmwares and factory resets, i think my unit has gone bad.