What's new

Need help with retrofit network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sleepdoc

New Around Here
I could not decide which section this post fit best in. First I will say after doing quite a bit of reading over the last few weeks I learned I know nothing about networks. This project started from wanting to install security cameras at my house. I have come up with what I think is my best plan with my limited knowledge and would like to know if this will work as I think or there is an easier/better option I do not know about.

The house does not have any network cables in the walls and I do not want to create a bunch of holes trying to run cable. I was able to pull a single cat6 cable from the basement closet to the living room but could not get a second cable to pull through.

I have a 6 IP camera setup I plan to run the poe cables into a utility closet in my basement where my cable/internet enters the house. (2 cameras say 26w max power consumption and other 4 say 8w max power consumption)

Within that closet put a 8 port poe+ switch to plug in the 6 cameras and my cable modem with the cat6 cable I was able to fish through on the outgoing side of the switch to bring signal to my living room?

In the living room, plug the cat6 cable into the asus rt-ac86u I ordered today. Then attach the router to the nvr for the cameras. I was thinking while I am messing with it to run ethernet from router lan to the tv for 4k streaming directly instead of connecting via wifi?

Does this seem reasonable or will that be too many things trying to run on a single cat6 cable? I am open to other ideas if I am making this way too difficult. Also, for this purpose does the poe switch make a difference being unmanaged, managed, or smart? Just would like to order right equipment upfront.

you likely need around 100 watts POE + power. i would suggest using one power injector each for the 2 26 watt devices and run the rest directly off the POE + switch unless it can provide at least 100 watts total.

I have a 6 IP camera setup I plan to run the poe cables into a utility closet in my basement where my cable/internet enters the house. (2 cameras say 26w max power consumption and other 4 say 8w max power consumption)

Within that closet put a 8 port poe+ switch to plug in the 6 cameras and my cable modem with the cat6 cable I was able to fish through on the outgoing side of the switch to bring signal to my living room?

In the living room, plug the cat6 cable into the asus rt-ac86u I ordered today. Then attach the router to the nvr for the cameras. I was thinking while I am messing with it to run ethernet from router lan to the tv for 4k streaming directly instead of connecting via wifi?

Does this seem reasonable or will that be too many things trying to run on a single cat6 cable? I am open to other ideas if I am making this way too difficult. Also, for this purpose does the poe switch make a difference being unmanaged, managed, or smart? Just would like to order right equipment upfront.

Is your cable modem just a modem or is it a router/modem combo? If it is just a modem and your router is the rt-ac86u then your cameras will be outside of your firewall, which is not a good idea (and can cause problems if you plan to use DHCP on the cameras). If you modem is really a router/modem combo and you plan to run it as a router (as opposed to bridging it), and you plan to run the rt-ac86u as an AP instead of a router, then your setup looks fine. You should not have problems running it all over the one cat6 cable (unless possibly you have 1Gbit internet service). I also think its a good idea to wire your TV instead of using WIFI. The more devices you can get off of wifi, usually the better wifi you will have for those devices that must use wifi.

Is your cable modem just a modem or is it a router/modem combo? If it is just a modem and your router is the rt-ac86u then your cameras will be outside of your firewall, which is not a good idea (and can cause problems if you plan to use DHCP on the cameras). If you modem is really a router/modem combo and you plan to run it as a router (as opposed to bridging it), and you plan to run the rt-ac86u as an AP instead of a router, then your setup looks fine. You should not have problems running it all over the one cat6 cable (unless possibly you have 1Gbit internet service). I also think its a good idea to wire your TV instead of using WIFI. The more devices you can get off of wifi, usually the better wifi you will have for those devices that must use wifi.

Well it is technically router/modem from xfinity but I use it in passthrough to the asus router. Would this be the same as being modem only and be outside of the firewall? If so, if I turn the modem wifi back on but still just connect to the asus router for wifi would that solve the firewall issue? I have tried to figure out how to run the cameras on its own vlan but I do not think it will work given how I have it planned.

as long as its not the retrofit API.
You can get a 10Gb/s switch, that would reduce the bottlenecks, the question really is on the camera's per bandwidth and your LAN bandwidth needs.

You can also get flat cat6 ethernet cables too which help if you want to have them under doors.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!