What's new

amtm Need ideas - 1TB NVME SSD with enclosure.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mogsy

Hello,

Not sure where to post this but I guess this is related to amtm stuff. I have 1TB spare (SK Hynix BC711 M.2 2230) sitting around for ages. Finally bought enclosure for it.

Now, what do I do with it and how to utilise it. Currently AX86U have SanDisk 64GB 3.2 Gen 1, and read about SSD recommendation and how usb drive will fail/die eventually. I have explore a bit regarding fd and partitions, but 1TB would be overkill, I think. I don't run media server or anything like that. But what would be useful is local backup for my work files instead of cloud backup. Normally consists of large wav/aiff recording files.

I guess it would be cool to have media server (locally) with flac/hi res/dolby atmos audio but not sure if it is essential for my Sonos Arc.

If anything, is 1TB overkill for amtm/jffs stuff? And will it be hard to manage partitions. I only ever run fd with the recommended settings on amtm.

Or share me your local setup and how you use utilise 1tb ssd. Any ideas will be welcomed :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221228_203949.png
    Screenshot_20221228_203949.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 46
You forgot to run the crystaldiskinfo to check the temps while running tests as well as typical usage over 1-2 days :). I have a similar case from orico & temps hit 75C easily during crystaldiskmark test done in a room with ambient temps around 25C with the enclosure not even closed(the sliding/upper cover was not there when I ran the test). I decided not to risk any expensive/fast NVMe ssd with such cases & will instead look for some cheap/slow/thermal efficient NVMe ssd to use in such cases.

@whitestar999
For logging temps HWINFO is better to get min/max/avg temps. Though HWINFO doesn't do much if it's not connected to a PC as the router won't run HWINFO / CDM / CDI.

For running silly router apps from an NVME it's a bit much. For storage it's fine but, still overkill. The bottleneck is the USB port which would keep the temps low due to the lack of data flow at rates you can hit with CDM.

I've tested a bunch of different M2 cases and they're all pretty much the same other than the controller being used. Since the enclosure has the RTL9210 it should be on par with the Plugable I went with before jumping to TB4. https://www.acasis.com/products/aca...nterface-solid-state-nvme-ssd-universal-tools

@Mogsy I would probably start with plugging it into the router and let it format it and then put it onto a PC w/ Linux and adjust the partition sizes with gparted if you want to split things up a bit. I'm not sure how the router will handle multiple partitions though since it's not the brightest HW when it comes to anything more than simple. It's worth a shot though.

If anything, is 1TB overkill for amtm/jffs stuff?

Yes. Waste of good SSD drive in this case.

But what would be useful is local backup for my work files

It depends. Large and frequent file transfers will make your router unstable. Not the best option for backups of important data. If you still want to try - make sure your backup partition is NTFS. If you format it with ext4 it makes it unreadable on Windows PC (at least with no extra tools).

make sure your backup partition is NTFS. If you format it with ext4 it makes it unreadable on Windows PC (at least with no extra tools).
If the router is running SAMBA it doesn't matter which FS is used for the client to be able to read it.

I run EXT4 on my server and Windows accesses the data just fine w/o any additional add-ons.

I said "unreadable on Windows PC". If the router is down for whatever reason - no easy access to backups.

I said "unreadable on Windows PC". If the router is down for whatever reason - no easy access to backups.
You didn't add the caveat of the router being off.

But, in general we all know a router isn't a NAS and shouldn't be used as one. You can still access the data using a Linux LiveCD/USB tough and move the data if needed.

On Windows PC means on the PC - plugged into USB port. No easy access means you have to use extra software. Depending on how the drive is formatted with ext4 + NTFS partitions and what controller the enclosure has - it may not be readable at all on Windows PC even with extra software.

I've tested a bunch of different M2 cases and they're all pretty much the same other than the controller being used. Since the enclosure has the RTL9210 it should be on par with the Plugable I went with before jumping to TB4. https://www.acasis.com/products/aca...nterface-solid-state-nvme-ssd-universal-tools
Yes, I have read your recent thread with testing and data points. Was very useful.
@Mogsy I would probably start with plugging it into the router and let it format it and then put it onto a PC w/ Linux and adjust the partition sizes with gparted if you want to split things up a bit. I'm not sure how the router will handle multiple partitions though since it's not the brightest HW when it comes to anything more than simple. It's worth a shot though.
Problem is I don't have Linux PC. My main DAW is SADiE 6 which is Windows only, quite dated but brilliant audio editing suite.
It depends. Large and frequent file transfers will make your router unstable. Not the best option for backups of important data. If you still want to try - make sure your backup partition is NTFS. If you format it with ext4 it makes it unreadable on Windows PC (at least with no extra tools).
When I plugged it in, I had to pick between MBR and GPT. It was quite late at night and I picked GPT (will do more reading on this later)
Yes. Waste of good SSD drive in this case.
Yes I thought so too. That's why I posted here for opinions. True about being readable on Windows PC, as this thing is portable and I might need it on location without the router.

I think I will explore a bit more and keep the SSD as portable back up. for now. Buy cheaper SSD and better enclosure to replace SanDisk usb drive for router. I would be interested in formatting the future SSD in more partitions other than what's recommended thru
Code:
fd
on amtm. I got this 1TB free anyway as part of my Dell's pro support as my DAW crashed constantly before. And I get to keep the old SSD when they replaced :)

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll come back with more suggestions soon :D

Problem is I don't have Linux PC. My main DAW is SADiE 6 which is Windows only, quite dated but brilliant audio editing suite.
All you need is a bootable USB drive w/ Linux on it to copy the data off the drive if the router dies if you use EXT4 for the file system.

Doesn't matter what kind of PC it is it will boot to a desktop.

All you need is a bootable USB drive w/ Linux on it to copy the data off the drive if the router dies if you use EXT4 for the file system.

Doesn't matter what kind of PC it is it will boot to a desktop.
I am keen to learn Linux anyway, I’ve been researching mini pc that come pre-installed with Linux OS but I am at the stage where I’m still learning which OS to start with lol
https://itsfoss.com/linux-based-mini-pc/

I have free time to explore a bit more

Any PC can run it and your you can easily play with it in a VM. There's only 2-3 core Linux foundations and then they each have a bunch of skins applied to them. Debian based options have a good base of resources to draw from for hints in how to do things.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!