What's new

Need internet in separate room

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nickolay83

New Around Here
Hi all, sorry I'm new to networking/lan :(
Basically I moved to my friends house and he has virgin router downstairs and virgin doesnt allow to have another one in same house.

So basically I'm a pc gamer and want to put internet into room, what do I need to buy to use internet on my pc. If you can suggest for me with links plz
Many thanks:)

Do you want to share your friend's Virgin Media connection (with his permission of course), or are you asking how to get your own completely separate internet feed to your room?

https://community.virginmedia.com/t...rgin-media-broadband-connections/td-p/3821481

If you want a completely separate feed and VM won't install a second connection to your house you could get BT to install a telephone line (if there isn't one already) and then get an ADSL/VDSL connection.

Last edited:
Yes sorry I want to use internet from his account as they not going to allow to make another router box upstairs and i dont really want to pay another monthly fee.
Do i need like a new modem?

No you don't need a modem.

Can you run an Ethernet cable from his wireless router to your room or is that not practical?

Then I can think of two solutions. One is to use a WiFi connection to his router. The other is to use powerline adapters.

What is the WiFi signal like in your room?

Yeah its decent I guess. In my other house it was much better, he pays for 100mbs but I checked my speed and it's much lower.

How many devices do you need to connect? Is it just the single PC? Presumably your PC doesn't already have a WiFi network interface?

Yes just my gaming pc. When you say wifi network interface do you mean wifi card?? If so I do but never used it before.

If you are going to do serious gaming with the router 30 feet away through walls then you need to string cable, powerline adapter, or power over coax. I don't think wireless will cut it 30 feet away.

Yes just my gaming pc. When you say wifi network interface do you mean wifi card?? If so I do but never used it before.
If you already have a WiFi card installed in your PC you might as well try that first, it's a zero-cost solution. If that doesn't work out then you can investigate things like WiFi extenders or powerline adapters.

Right ok many thanks. I think I will try to see if I can try to use a cable and see if it's ok with him. Powerline adaptors I've looked them but not sure which one to go for. Dont really want to spend too much on it.

I would steer clear of powerline if you can. It can work phenomenally well, but there are so many variables when it comes to electrical circuitry and/or the products ability to uphold initial performance over time, that I usually try and avoid it, if at all possible, and instead go with ethernet (#1) or MoCa 2.0/2.5 over coax (#2).

MoCA is not an option in the UK. In fact I'm not aware of it being used outside of the US (but I guess there must be some countries that do).

Hi all, sorry I'm new to networking/lan :(
Basically I moved to my friends house and he has virgin router downstairs and virgin doesnt allow to have another one in same house.

So basically I'm a pc gamer and want to put internet into room, what do I need to buy to use internet on my pc. If you can suggest for me with links plz
Many thanks:)
When VM rolled out the new Tivo box they were giving powerline adapters out at the same time if needed.
If your friend has had the new Tivo theres a chance he already has the adapters, you may be in luck.

I have them and they work quite well, usually better than Wifi if router is a fair distance away.

MoCA is not an option in the UK. In fact I'm not aware of it being used outside of the US (but I guess there must be some countries that do).
Oops, I clearly didn't read carefully enough and pickup that the OP is in the UK. In that case, do all that you can to run ethernet. If you can't drill any holes, then perhaps run flat Cat6 concealed between the floorboard and carpet, or run regular Cat6 inside a raceway?

Hi I got wifi card and tried to connect through that to wifi and I get like 110mbs on m100 virgin tariff. I think that quite a good result for a wifi card. Not that I know of any other people used them. I will try to play on it if I get lags etc I might get cat6 flat as you mentioned as I have looked on google about them. Many thanks