What's new

Need new router & want to start segregating IoT. Was ready to get UDM, now not so sure...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Richard H

Occasional Visitor
I couldn't find a perfect home for this as it's got both wired and wireless aspects. Hope this is OK.

I currently run an ASUS RT-AC86U router, but it's time for a change.

I'm increasingly nervous about sharing my network with various IoT devices, IP cams etc. with potential security issues, so I'd like something that could allow me to segregate them via vLAN(s).

The router is in the middle of my (one story, but long with lots of solid walls) house but struggles to cover it wirelessly. I've installed a Unifi AC-LITE AP to cover one poor area, and probably need another AP at the other end of the house too. I've setup a Unifi controller (on a Pi) to get the most from my AP, and have been impressed with the interface and functionality offered. This has led me to start thinking about getting a Unifi Dream Machine, as I believe this would give the benefit of configuring the vLAN(s) for wireless and wired all in one place. I was about ready to buy it when I read that it doesn't currently allow allocating names to static IP devices. That's a bit of a pain, but I see people are working around it various ways, but I also see some people on this site aren't fans of the UDM. So, thought I'd seek some views here on if I really should avoid it, and if so, what else might suit my requirements.

My broadband is currently 32mbps down/16 up, but I will be on FTTH hopefully in around 6 months (up to 900mbps - haven't decided what speed to pay for yet).

Richard

This sounds like something I'd like to do as well...the only question is, do you create a separate SSID for the homekit devices and does it make them uncontrollable unless your IOS device is on that SSID? or is the vLAN something that's independent of the SSID?

This sounds like something I'd like to do as well...the only question is, do you create a separate SSID for the homekit devices and does it make them uncontrollable unless your IOS device is on that SSID? or is the vLAN something that's independent of the SSID?

my understanding is that the vLAN is linked to the SSID (at least the way I was planning to do it). I don’t actually have HomeKit devices (yet), but it looks like a bit more work is required to get it working with an isolated vLAN -

Using HomeKit devices across vLANs