What's new

Need Recommendation on Best NAS for my Needs (Synology DS411j)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chefelf

New Around Here
I've been reading dozens of reviews and articles for months now and I still haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. So far I've narrowed it down to the top competitor of the Synology DS411j. It is missing some features I'd like and I'm not sure about a few others.

I looked at Drobo for a long time but have recently been scared off by my research.

All I know is I want a NAS with these features and would love to hear any input that any of you would have for me.

1.) Use as primary storage for media sharing and all files for use on PC with Windows XP.
2.) Expandability with many different drives of different sizes (e.g. 1.5TB, 2TB, etc.)
3.) Ability to have disk protection in case one drive fails.
4.) Able to be viewed via Windows PC (XP) as a drive (not sure about this).
5.) Use with Carbonite for remote backup -- this doesn't seem possible from my research.
6.) Non proprietary file format (this is what scared me away from Drobo).
7.) 4 disk bays (compatibility with expansion units would be nice but not necessary).
8.) Ability to easily remove and replace drives would be nice but not necessary (the DS411j looks like it's a bit of a pain to take out and put in drives).

I think those are the main points.

Thank you again for any help. And I apologize for my ignorance on the subject. :)

Thank you. That is a helpful thread. I'm just curious about the specifics I've listed. Any links to detailed reviews would be great. I'd just like to see exactly how it works and functions in conjunction with my desktop. I'm having a hard time visualizing it.

I guess, in doing a bit more research, here's what I'm looking for:

I just want something that will essentially be an extension of my desktop and function as an additional drive in Windows XP. Is this possible? What I want:

* Data protection (so if one drive dies I don't lose my data)
* Ability to operate from within Windows
* Ability to backup from NAS (or fileserver) to Carbonite
* Ability to continue to use NAS to stream video and audio to my media player(s)

Thanks again for any help!

Any thoughts on Drobo? Reviews don't look good but the more I'm reading reviews it doesn't look like the reviews for anything are very good.

I guess, in doing a bit more research, here's what I'm looking for:

I just want something that will essentially be an extension of my desktop and function as an additional drive in Windows XP. Is this possible?

Yes, any NAS will do that, just as any USB hard drive could do that, too.

What I want:

* Data protection (so if one drive dies I don't lose my data)
* Ability to operate from within Windows
* Ability to backup from NAS (or fileserver) to Carbonite
* Ability to continue to use NAS to stream video and audio to my media player(s)

Thanks again for any help!

Yep- any of the NAS listed could do that. Just make sure you're using the NAS not as *the* back-up strategy, but as a part of it in which the NAS also gets backed up.

Any thoughts on Drobo? Reviews don't look good but the more I'm reading reviews it doesn't look like the reviews for anything are very good.

Here's my take on Drobo (not having ever used one of their products):
- when people talk about NAS, they seem to talk primarily about the following brands: ReadyNAS, QNAP, Synology, Thecus.
- when I do see Drobo mentioned, it doesn't tend to be very flattering... much the way people talk about WD NAS products.
- hardware nerds are a critical group, with high standards and low tolerance for stuff they don't like. You're right, there's definitely a lot of negative stuff out there, but I've seen LOTS of people writing about how much they like their ReadyNAS, QNAP, Synology, Thecus products.
- if people loved the Drobo product, you'd come across more positive reviews.

Thanks! That's really helpful. As long as I'm able to view, browse, share, and offsite backup (Carbonite) on the NAS as if it were merely an extension of my computer it sounds like the Synology stuff might work.

Thanks so much for helping me narrow this down!

Now I just need to decide between the ds411+ and the ds411j.

Thanks again!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!