What's new

Need Repeater for DIR 655

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JoJo

New Around Here
Hi Everyone,
I recently had to replace my wireless router, which I did with the DIR 655 which works great, however, my old dlink repeater does not work with the new router and I need to find a replacement solution. Dlink does not make a repeater for this router however they do sell the dlink DAP 1353 repeater but for some reason it is not sold in US. Do you suppose if I purchased several in Mexico would they work here?

I am on a cable modem and my network consists of;
2 N imac's (one is in another building 200' away)
1 B imac
1 B powerbook
1 B ibook

I also read in a dlink press release that there is a Q3 release of a device that pushes the modem signal through your cable coax to any coax outlet. Any thoughts on this? I would love to solve this with a couple of repeaters if possible.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance/
JoJo

You could try running DD-WRT on a compatible draft-n router for this functionality. You need to be careful about the hardware model and revision. The DD-WRT site has the details.

The DIR-655 does not support repeating and doesn't support any alternative firmwares.

Thank you, Madwand and Tim,
Do you think the repeaters in Mexico (DAP 1353) will work in US? This repeater works with my DIR 655 router, and I believe that Mexico is now on same electrical voltage as US. Should work, no?

I looked up Linksys Powerline ethernet bridge. Thanks for that. Do you prefer that vrs. coax adapter solution?

JoJo

The DAP-1353 is not a repeater, it's an access point. You would need to connect it via Ethernet to the DIR-655 in order to extend range.

The D-Link DXN-321 kit is not out yet as far as I can tell.

You could try powerline networking, but 200' might be a bit far for it to work.

The spec sheet for DAP-1353 shows one of the operation modes as AP Repeater. Am I reading this wrong?

You're not reading it wrong. It's just incorrect. Or at least in conflict with the User Manual. I see no sign of repeating support in the manual.

Thanks Tim,
I understand that there is a v2 manual and firmware on D-Link's Eu site, Germany I believe. But this is above my pay grade. So, I guess laying some cable is only option unless I wait for D-Link Coax adapter...
I could be back in business if I purchased a 624 router, but I hate to invest in G and B at this point. Why, oh why do you suppose there is no repeater option available?
JoJo

Why, oh why do you suppose there is no repeater option available?
Probably not much of a priority, given all the other stuff that they are trying to get working.
BTW, the following draft 11n products that I have tested support WDS bridging/repeating:
Apple Airport Extreme (MB053LLA)
Trendnet 300Mbps Wireless N Gigabit Gaming Router (TEW-633GR)
Netgear RangeMax Dual-Band Wireless N Router (WNDR3300)
Netgear RangeMax NEXT Wireless N Router (WNR834Bv2)
D-Link Xtreme N Duo Wireless Bridge / Access Point (DAP-1522)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!