What's new

RT-AX92u manual settings for stable wireless connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks. I have at RT-AX88U as the router so this poses some questions as there are some setting that do not exist or are different:

First, I cannot see a 5 GHz - 2 option on the router; just 5 GHz period. I also only have an option for auto under Wireless and no option for target wake time. Other options I can find.

Second, when I try to log in to the Ax-92U, I cannot connect from computer Ethernet. I can do it when the AX-92U is behind the router but not sure if that will work.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is defiantly an issue either with firmware or hardware as I have had the lock up again with Red Light on WAN and errors as below in log. Only way to recover is a power off and on.

Also noticed core 2 at 100% when this occurred.

Mar 29 00:13:39 kernel: runner_get_pkt_from_ring:L137 Failed to allocate new ring buffer.
Mar 29 00:13:39 kernel: runner_get_pkt_from_ring:L137 Failed to allocate new ring buffer.
Mar 29 00:13:44 kernel: runner_get_pkt_from_ring: 95 callbacks suppressed
Mar 29 00:13:44 kernel: runner_get_pkt_from_ring:L137 Failed to allocate new ring buffer.
Mar 29 00:13:44 kernel: runner_get_pkt_from_ring:L137 Failed to allocate new ring buffer.

I'm seeing the same issues - Ring buffer issues.

Not often, but maybe once every 2 weeks or so.

Hi, I think the buffer errors have something to do with the smart connect. This helps devices with switching between routers. When disabling smart connect these errors will disappear, but the downside is that your devices are no longer pointed to the closest router /best wifi signal available automatically. You can replace this with 'some good enough for most situations' manual settings as in the first post above.

Hi, I think the buffer errors have something to do with the smart connect. This helps devices with switching between routers. When disabling smart connect these errors will disappear, but the downside is that your devices are no longer pointed to the closest router /best wifi signal available automatically. You can replace this with 'some good enough for most situations' manual settings as in the first post above.

Thanks.
I have the main router in my livingroom and the mesh point in my office (2 rooms away on the same floor).

Could I in theory disable the wireless bands/networks apart from the backhaul on the main router?
I think my Mesh node should easily cover the house in terms of wifi?...

Well, I believe the issue is with smart connect feature. So disabling wireless bands on one router, will not solve the issue I think. Smart connect helps in a mesh network to steer your devices to the router with the best connection, but also to the correct band on that router. So even if you only use one router, if you keep smart connect on, it will still try to steer between 2 and 5 ghz on that device.
I had the ring buffer error when on smart connect and when there was constant heavy traffic on the network (e.g. watching HQ video stream, or downloads or both at the same time). Anyway since disabling smart connect and using manual settings I never had the ring buffer error anymore.

Well, I believe the issue is with smart connect feature. So disabling wireless bands on one router, will not solve the issue I think. Smart connect helps in a mesh network to steer your devices to the router with the best connection, but also to the correct band on that router. So even if you only use one router, if you keep smart connect on, it will still try to steer between 2 and 5 ghz on that device.
I had the ring buffer error when on smart connect and when there was constant heavy traffic on the network (e.g. watching HQ video stream, or downloads or both at the same time). Anyway since disabling smart connect and using manual settings I never had the ring buffer error anymore.

I have 3 AX92u in mesh without smart connect and separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5G and I still get the ring buffer errors when heavy network traffic. They seem to have stabilised since the latest firmware and also changing the modularisation scheme on dedicated 5G to "up to MCS 11".

I get you.
Happened again tonight. Doing my head in.

Is it only an issue with AX92U?

I do like the ASUS routers and the mesh setup. If others are fine, I’ll happily buy another!!

Even a different main router and still use a AX92U?...

Any advice on alternatives?

I never used 7977 firmware long enough to experience a crash. I'm staying on 6436 for the the last two months and never had to reboot because of the crash...

My set up is almost the same, apart from that I don't use WAN.

You do need to identify where (which band) the problem is - just randomly modifying settings for all will not get you the performance and stability.

For example I never had issues with the backhaul (wifi6 band) and I have quite large LAN network behind second AIMesh node. But I have numerous issues with both speed and stability of first 5Ghz band...

How have you been on the 6436 firmware as I may roll back due to this ring buffer error thing!!

Thanks

Did anyone try with the newest firmware released a couple of days ago? Version 9177.

Am also having these ring buffer issues, it occurs like every 2 weeks and sometimes the router isn't accessible anymore through the web ui.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Did anyone try with the newest firmware released a couple of days ago? Version 9177.

Am also having these ring buffer issues, it occurs like every 2 weeks and sometimes the router isn't accessible anymore through the web ui.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Went to 9177 last night. Took a full reset to factory settings and rebuild from scratch to recover. Saved config file was a no go.

AX92 as AiMesh master over 5GHz-1 with AC88 AiMesh node.

I rolled back to 6436 and I haven't seen the issue again.
I'm very wary now about upgrading to the latest firmware.

Could you post back if you see the issue again with the 9177 firmware?

So far, so good. I had one station with a bunch of errors that were filling up the system log. That device has been rebooted and system log cleared so I can see what happens going forward.

Quick question, i have the ax92u and want to use it with wifi6 with my iphone11 pro. But the connections on 5g-2 is slow and loading is slow, when using 5g-1 channel everything is super fast.
I use the latest firmware (but also previous versions gives the same slow experience) also did a factory reset after the firmware update. Using default settings (although I changed some stuff but didnt matter).

anyone an idea what the problem is? I see in the wireless log my phone is connected with AX and my laptop with AC (also my macbook gives slow responses)

Quick question, i have the ax92u and want to use it with wifi6 with my iphone11 pro. But the connections on 5g-2 is slow and loading is slow, when using 5g-1 channel everything is super fast.
I use the latest firmware (but also previous versions gives the same slow experience) also did a factory reset after the firmware update. Using default settings (although I changed some stuff but didnt matter).

anyone an idea what the problem is? I see in the wireless log my phone is connected with AX and my laptop with AC (also my macbook gives slow responses)

Hello, so far I did not manage to run wifi 6 on this routers in any reliable way. I don't think that the current firmwares would support this, maybe with some hacks and manual settings. But out of the box this router seems not able to provide any meaningful wifi 6 support.
As a wifi 5 router it is pretty decent, can reach 800-900mbps for me.

Hello, so far I did not manage to run wifi 6 on this routers in any reliable way. I don't think that the current firmwares would support this, maybe with some hacks and manual settings. But out of the box this router seems not able to provide any meaningful wifi 6 support.
As a wifi 5 router it is pretty decent, can reach 800-900mbps for me.

sad... do you get a stable ac connection from the 5ghz-2 channel?
Using my ax92u as an accesspoint btw

Last edited:
sad... do you get a stable ac connection from the 5ghz-2 channel?
Using my ax92u as an accesspoint btw

I get a very stable ac connection from 5ghz-2.

I have 2 devices with AiMesh. 5Ghz-2 is set to AC only and it is also used as the backhaul network. However I also connect with my MacBook and iphone to 5ghz-2.
Here is the wireless log with speeds for Iphone / MacBook Pro / AiMesh node:

Code:
Stations List                           
----------------------------------------
Associated Authorized    RSSI PHY PSM SGI STBC MUBF NSS   BW Tx rate Rx rate Connect Time
     Yes        Yes         -54dBm ac  Yes Yes No   No     2  80M    780M  866.7M 02:45:32.   iPhone
     Yes        Yes         -49dBm ac  No  Yes Yes  No     3  80M   1170M   1300M 24:01:28.   MacBook Pro
     Yes        Yes         -53dBm ac  No  Yes Yes  Yes    4  80M   1560M   1300M 24:03:23.   Second AX92U

I get a very stable ac connection from 5ghz-2.

I have 2 devices with AiMesh. 5Ghz-2 is set to AC only and it is also used as the backhaul network. However I also connect with my MacBook and iphone to 5ghz-2.
Here is the wireless log with speeds for Iphone / MacBook Pro / AiMesh node:

Code:
Stations List                          
----------------------------------------
Associated Authorized    RSSI PHY PSM SGI STBC MUBF NSS   BW Tx rate Rx rate Connect Time
     Yes        Yes         -54dBm ac  Yes Yes No   No     2  80M    780M  866.7M 02:45:32.   iPhone
     Yes        Yes         -49dBm ac  No  Yes Yes  No     3  80M   1170M   1300M 24:01:28.   MacBook Pro
     Yes        Yes         -53dBm ac  No  Yes Yes  Yes    4  80M   1560M   1300M 24:03:23.   Second AX92U

This is my macbook connected to 5ghz-2, but some sites load slow as hell... very strange...

Code:
idx MAC               Associated Authorized    RSSI PHY PSM SGI STBC MUBF NSS   BW Tx rate Rx rate Connect Time
    F0:18:98:xx:xx:xx Yes        Yes         -64dBm ac  No  Yes Yes  No     3  80M    975M    585M 00:01:39

try the solution in this post
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ax92u-5ghz-2-slow-solved.63832/#post-579456

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!