What's new

Need Wake On LAN from the WAN side

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've a RT-56U with the stock Asus firmware "3.0.0.4.382_50624"
FYI, Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.382.50624 is from June 2018, and the RT-AC56x line has been deprecated by ASUS meaning no further firmware/security patches will be available, consequently none have been added for almost a year.

However, as kindly provided by @elorimer in post #19 custom scripting is very useful.

@john9527 continues to support RT-AC56x models, and I suggest you flash his [Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (V39E3) firmware for both the enhanced security patches and useful feature list.

if I get you right; you have a router setup as an OpenVPN server with TUN setting and when connecting with your Android device remotely to your OpenVPN server you can use WoL to wake up clients inside the LAN?
Yes, that's correct.
But I also use IP reservations in "Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list".
TUN seems to block broadcast traffic for some reason and I cannot wake a device with a packet sent to 192.168.1.255:9.

Yes, I missed the stock firmware bit. Someone's a bit lost.

And @Martineau, I seem to recall I got the script snippet I used from you. :)

Do you also have a Asus router with stock firmware?
Excuse me for misleading you, but no, I do not use stock firmware.
I use Merlin's firmware.
And I use Wake-On-LAN for a very long time. So the firmware's version does not matter.

Right, stock has no script support.
May I add my "Err ..." to the Err list. I wrote in my post "I'm not very "tech savvy" but understand some basics, like firmware is Linux based but not much more than that. Linux commands and scripts and the likes is above my level if they are not very detailed instructions of how to apply them. " ... ;-)

Anyway thanks, it does look interesting. many helpful people here :)

FYI, Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.382.50624 is from June 2018, and the RT-AC56x line has been deprecated by ASUS meaning no further firmware/security patches will be available, consequently none have been added for almost a year.

However, as kindly provided by @elorimer in post #19 custom scripting is very useful.

@john9527 continues to support RT-AC56x models, and I suggest you flash his [Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (V39E3) firmware for both the enhanced security patches and useful feature list.

Yes I kind of figured from googling/reading that one need a "custom firmware". I remember I was looking at Merlin for a year ago when I installed the stock one. I had DD-WRT before. Bought this router when it first came out and back then the stock was s**t. Have a Q re. installing Merlin; I read in Merlin's READ ME file;
"Installation; Simply flash it like any regular update. You should not need to reset to factory defaults (see note below for exceptions). You can revert back to an original Asus firmware at any time just
by flashing a firmware downloaded from Asus's website.NOTE: resetting to factory default after flashing is
strongly recommended for the following cases:- Updating from a firmware version that is more than 3 releases older- Switching from a Tomato/DD-WRT/OpenWRT firmware. If upgrading from anything older and you experience issues, then consider doing a factory default reset then as well.
"

From what is mentioned in the first sentence; would it be possible to install your suggested firmware without it deletes all my settings? Reason I'm asking is that I'm on a trip for a longer time and then need to do the install remotely which might really put me in trouble if something goes wrong with the install. I've seen Mr."RMerlin" is on here as well, maybe he knows for sure? Or perhaps @john9527 better could answer it?

Last edited:
need to do the install remotely which might really put me in trouble if something goes wrong with the install
My two cents: you don't want to upgrade the firmware as you contemplate if you or a capable someone doesn't have physical access to the router. Wait on it.

You really do want to upgrade the firmware to either @john9527's fork (I have this on an N66U) or to 384.6, the last Merlin version for the 56U (that's what I have on my 56U). The 56U is very capable and can do almost all the cool stuff here. And then you want to do a factory reset and @L&LD's M&M setup before reentering your settings. I will pause here to don my flame retardant suit to suggest that as an interim step, before the reset, you use the backup & restore script as a way of printing out all your settings--but not to restore your settings with the script. So: upgrade, print out your settings, reset, M&M and then put it back together. If the upgrade won't take, you might have to reset to factory settings.

Hi, just signed up to this forum and in search for help with setting up WoL over WAN/OpenVPN. Sorry for using this pretty old thread if it's against the rules? I've used almost two working days now with reading countless different posts on various forums and sites without getting much closer to solve what I'm after. What I would like is (if at all possible?) to have WoL work remotely using OpenVPN with TUN setting. I get it to work without problem if I switch over to TAP but what I'm after is to get WoL to work from Android and from what I now have learned is that TAP doesn't work with Android. Read somewhere that it does but after trying I soon gave up. And I'm pretty sure the TAP/Android route is a dead end?! I've a RT-56U with the stock Asus firmware "3.0.0.4.382_50624" with an OpenVPN server setup and there's no problem with WoL inside the local LAN. WoL is also working without a problem from the ASUS stock GUI.I'm aware of "custom firmware" like DD-WRT and MerlinWRT but I'm not so sure that changing to one of these would help? I'm not very "tech savvy" but understand some basics, like firmware is Linux based but not much more than that. Linux commands and scripts and the likes is above my level if they are not very detailed instructions of how to apply them. If someone know how to get WoL to work over OpenVPN with TUN setting and would like to help out I would appreciate it very much. I kindly opt out for answers like "why don't you just use the web GUI then". Please, be constructive.

FWIW, I've been using the dd-wrt "Remote Wake On LAN via Port Forwarding" approach for YEARS, never had a problem w/ port scans waking my computers. Works great. Just sayin'.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WOL

FWIW, I've been using the dd-wrt "Remote Wake On LAN via Port Forwarding" approach for YEARS, never had a problem w/ port scans waking my computers. Works great. Just sayin'.

Thanks for answer! Used that solution also long time ago with old Linksys WRT54 router. Would like to get this OpenVPN solution working now though, got my reasons. Probably need to go for what "Martineau" suggests with the "Merlin fork". But have to put this on pause now since I'm not home. Hopefully "elorimer" or someone else can help me sort out this scripting thingy that I'm sadly not very clever with.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WOL

Just because it hasn't happened to YOU (yet) doesn't mean it can't/won't ever happen to others.

Leaving any LAN service exposed (port forwarding is so last century) to the WAN can no longer be mitigated in 2019 given a properly configured OpenVPN Server will ensure WOL requests are securely authenticated/authorised.

Encouraging users to mimic your reckless blasé attitude to LAN security, (i.e leaving it to chance) is IMHO quite frankly pure stupidity.

Just sayin'

Right, stock has no script support.
I wonder, is this possible to do through openvpn server's support for client side scripting? It's been so long since I saw stock firmware I don't even know if the custom config box is even there.

I wonder, is this possible to do through openvpn server's support for client side scripting? It's been so long since I saw stock firmware I don't even know if the custom config box is even there.

In my stock version earlier mentioned there's a "square" at the bottom in the OpenVPN servers "advanced settings" tab called "Custom Configuration" whether it works or not I've no idea. It's as I said beyond my knowledge. Not very clever when it comes to such matters as scripting. I was actually about to ask you where exactly to "input" your two examples you're talking about in your post #19? Are the first and second part supposed to be in the same "command interface"? (i'm very sorry if not using the "right" tech vocabulary :-/ ) I'm under the impression that the first and second part are supposed to be done in two differnt places since yours "Then in the custom config of the server, put:" as intro to the "second part".

If anyone is interested if it works or not and is willing to guide me wisely, I would be willing to do a test to see if this "Custom Configuration" CLI (ok I admit, I googled that one ;-) :) ) is working in my stock version.