What's new

need WDS / repeater / bridge assistance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jgranto

New Around Here
Hi, need some basic configuration help with my Asus RT-AC66U running Merlin 3.0.0.4_378.51_0. I have an old Linksys router running DD-WRT as a repeater bridge that is dying. I use it exclusively to connect my home theater hardware (TiVo, receiver, etc.) via wire to the Linksys, thereby allowing those units to think they are all wired when they are actually wireless (using 802.11ac). I did not use it as a range extender, it was exclusive to the home theater. The Linksys is dying.

Basically, I want to know how to best configure the RT-AC66U to replace the old unit. I could install DD-WRT, but I wanted to try out the Merlin firmware because it supports WDS using WPA/WPA2, just like DD-WRT does with a repeater brdige.

I cannot seem to find a comprehensive guide on configuring Merlin WDS and was hoping for some help, or perhaps a link I missed. For DD-WRT, I know I had to put the router in AP mode, turn off all the firewall stuff, configure as a repeater bridge, and that I could not use 2.4GHz and 5GHz simultaneous - it was one or the other, otherwise the router freaked out.

For Merlin, how should I configure things? Specifically, things like:
1. Is it possible to use 2.4GHz and 5GHz freqs simultaneously, and is this advisable?
2. What Operation Mode is recommended? Repeater mode, AP mode, or Media bridge?
3, Should I even use WDS, or one of the modes above? If I should use WDS, which mode above should be configured?
4. Depending on answer to #1, is disabling the unused 2.4GHz radio considered good?

Basically, my priority is for the wired devices connected to the Asus to have the fastest and largest possible connection to my wireless network.

Thank you for the assistance.

You don't need WDS, and it sounds like you don't need repeater mode either. I was never clear on whether repeater mode cut the speed of the link to be base router in half, or just those connecting to the repeater. So just media bridge which I think equates to client bridge in dd-Wrt.

Although, depending on what your using for a router, you may want to use the AC66U as your router and the other for your bridge.

I found with my N16 as the router, it was easy to connect a Linksys wrt 310n running dd-wrt in client bridge mode. It was also easy to connect two RT-N10+ routers with original Asus firmware, but not with DD-wrt. and WDS was--iffy with dd-wrt. For me.

I ended up using the Asus firmware and configured as a media bridge. Worked like a charm and was definitely the easiest solution.