What's new

Need wireless router advice (for not so tech savy)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rdrdm

New Around Here
Hello all,

This is my first post here, I stumbled upon this forum as I was trying to figure out ways to increase my router coverage.

My current router is - TP-Link Archer C7 IEEE 802.11ac 1750 Mbps Wireless Router. And I have internet through comcast 75mpg down/25 up.

We recently moved to a ranch house (~2000 sqft main floor with addl 1500 sqft in the basement. The internet access point is in a study room on one corner of the house. I always have trouble getting 2.5GHz band to work properly and barely get any 5GHz signal in my bedroom (which is on the corner of the house) - in between the two room is living and kitchen w/ couple of walls. With thanksgiving coming, I want to upgrade the router to have sufficient coverage in my entire house (including the basement).

Here are some of the deal I have seen so far for black Friday. Can someone be kind enough to help me pick the router that will work for me (either from this or off this list). At this point I don't have a budget set but would like to stay in 100-200 range if possible.

Linksys EA7500 Max-Stream AC1900 Wireless-AC Router $109.99
NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wi-Fi Router $129.99
Netgear AC3000 Router w/ MU-MIMO $149.99
NETGEAR Black Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router $159.99
Netgear Nighthawk X8 Wireless AC5300 Tri-Band Quad-Stream MU-MIMO Gigabit Router (R8500-100NAS) $199.99
Linksys Dual-Band Wi-Fi Gaming Router w/ Killer Prioritization Engine $229.99
NETGEAR Orbi AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router System (RBK50) $279.99

Thanks in advance,

RD

Most modems transmit with the highest power allowed by the FCC so replacing your current router with another one may not improve coverage. Your primary goal should be to get an access point located more centrally in your home. Is there a more centrally located coax jack that you could relocate the modem and router to?

If not, then a range extender with a dedicated backhaul link may give you the next best performance. The Netgear EX8000 or Linksus RE9000 are two examples that would allow you to add a more centrally located dual-band access point with a dedicated wireless link back to your current router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!