What's new

connmon Negatives to constantly pinging 8.8.8.8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SilentStorm

Regular Contributor
Hi everyone,

Trying to decide whether I want to ping 8.8.8.8 every 10 minutes or less... what are the negatives to pinging 8.8.8.8 say.. every 2-3 minutes?

Does a ping test cause any lag during gaming? I have an Asus Rog Gt AC2900. I'm guessing a higher CPU usage but I believe my router can handle it...

This isnt quite along the lines you are/were thinking (but it is related) If I were you I would weigh the pros and cons of using that ip (Google dns) and then consider choosing a different ip to use. Perhaps 1.1.1.1. 1.0.0.1, or another ip might be more privacy friendly. IMO, Google knows way too much about each and every one of us as it is. Who knows what kind of info they can extrapolate from your ping times over a long period of time and then this info gets added to the troves of info they already know about you/me/us.

Personally I have tried to minimize Google related software and hardware in my household as well as other IMO privacy unfriendly items. I still have some Google things (android TV etc) but its about 95% down from what it was 1 year ago.

Apologies for the OT, however I thought it relevant. If this annoys you tell me and Ill edit/delete this.

This isnt quite along the lines you are/were thinking (but it is related) If I were you I would weigh the pros and cons of using that ip (Google dns) and then consider choosing a different ip to use. Perhaps 1.1.1.1. 1.0.0.1, or another ip might be more privacy friendly. IMO, Google knows way too much about each and every one of us as it is. Who knows what kind of info they can extrapolate from your ping times over a long period of time and then this info gets added to the troves of info they already know about you/me/us.

Personally I have tried to minimize Google related software and hardware in my household as well as other IMO privacy unfriendly items. I still have some Google things (android TV etc) but its about 95% down from what it was 1 year ago.

Apologies for the OT, however I thought it relevant. If this annoys you tell me and Ill edit/delete this.
No worries!

If my router is constantly pinging, let's say 1.1.1.1 every 2 minutes, would that cause ping spikes during gaming? Currently, I have it set to every 10 minutes, but I'm debating whether or not I should lower it.

I have mine set at the minimum, 10 seconds every 10 minutes. So that is roughly 320 bytes sent. Sending that every 2 minutes I can't think is much load. If I could, I would set it to 4 seconds every 30 minutes. That I think would give me enough detail, but as it is I am thinking about disabling it except on occasion. I'm not seeing the point of more info here.

I have mine set at the minimum, 10 seconds every 10 minutes. So that is roughly 320 bytes sent. Sending that every 2 minutes I can't think is much load. If I could, I would set it to 4 seconds every 30 minutes. That I think would give me enough detail, but as it is I am thinking about disabling it except on occasion. I'm not seeing the point of more info here.
Reason I'm asking is because I'm having a lot of ping and jitter issues which seem to be related to my ISP.

The thing is, the ISP wants me to pin point the time of the day, what's causing these spikes, etc. Which is why I'm wondering if I ping it like every 2 minutes, is that going to cause more issues?

Maximum of 30mins is already in the pipeline, just haven't released it yet :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!