Did you have trouble getting the Nest to use Google DNS via DNSFilter? I've been trying that solution but it hasn't worked for me. The only thing that works is turning off DoT entirely.I was able to enable dns filter to send my Protect to Google DNS while everything else uses my configured DoT setting. It came back online after reconfiguring WiFi and now I’m hoping it stays that way. Hopefully there is a more permanent solution in the works.
I followed nickp85's advice and used DNS filter option to send my Nest Connect to google's DNS and I haven't had any issues since. I'm running the 384.19 beta as well.Does 384.19 beta 1 include this fix in getdns? It implements name compression from the upstream response, which would mitigate the IoT issues.
Still running standard 348.18 on an AC86U and haven’t had any issues with Protect since enabling it for DNSFilter to use Google DNS.Did you have trouble getting the Nest to use Google DNS via DNSFilter? I've been trying that solution but it hasn't worked for me. The only thing that works is turning off DoT entirely.
I'm using an AiMesh network of an AC88U main router and AC88U and AX68U nodes. All three are running Merlin 384.18. My WAN DNS is set to 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52. I was trying to use 184.108.40.206 as a custom DNS in DNSFilter for the Protects, but they lose the network if I do that with DoT enabled.
There is enough time for me to pull it in ahead of the beta 2 release. That beta cycle should be enough time to test it to ensure it doesn't break anything else.
I updated to 384.19 beta 1 on my router and two nodes and it still wasn't working yesterday. Today I decided to toggle off/on the DNS Filters for the Protects and the DoT for the whole router. Did that a couple of times, no rebooting, and now the Protects connect.Anyone continuing to have Nest Protect or Samsung SmartThings DoT issues should consider trying 384.19 beta 1 - since RMerlin has upgraded to dnsmasq 2.82 on it, which may help with some issues (testing needed)
Personally, my single Samsung SmartThings device is working fine with 384.19 beta 1 / DoT enabled.
Yes, it's working,...but it's not a fix. My test case domain DNS response is about 1300 bytes without compression....with compression about 700 bytes and still fails the DNS lookup. At this point the only 'full' fix is to disable the check in getdns.384.19 beta 2 is working for name compression on the DNS response.
No....I recreate the problem just running ping/nslookup directly on the router. Also, the router OpenVPN client fails when trying to resolve the server name. Nothing to do with IoT devices.I think the root cause is understood... These IoT devices don't expect / support truncated responses.