What's new

Net is fast but wifi is slow

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Qrucz

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
The wifi on my AX86U seems surprisingly slow.
I've a gigabit connection and if I run a speedtest on the router itself in the Adaptive QoS menu, I have a download speed of 855Mbps and upload speed of 325Mbps with 2.77ms ping and 0.56ms jitter, but if I run a speedtest on my phone which connects to the 5G wifi on the router, then I have 60Mbps download speed and 75Mbps upload speed with 23ms ping and 67ms jitter.
My AX86U is in mesh with an AC68U with AiMesh and I've 7 clients only with less than 1-2MBps net usage altogether currently
I've checked a lot of web pages to see how I should optimize my wifi settings (see current settings attached), but I couldn't manage to improve performance. What may be the issue?

Attachments

• wifi professional.jpg
    wifi professional.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 52
  • wifi_basic.jpg
    wifi_basic.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 50
Post a screenshot of this phone's connection speed from System Log, Wireless Log:

Example:

1670174526370.png

This is an iPhone connected to the same AX86U router. It can do >500Mbps throughput.

1670177691732.png

The first one is my phone. Now it goes with 29Mbps download and 19.3Mbps upload.
The bottom one is my laptop, that had a speed of 343.3Mbps download and 257.27Mbps download.

Something is wrong with your settings. This is not a normal behavior. If you don't know or can't find what - reset the router to factory defaults, configure manually, don't change anything you know nothing about, don't enable anything you don't need. I just recently flashed Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 on my test AX86U router and the performance seems normal. Since this is the first 388 base Asuswrt-Merlin firmware release I did a factory reset too.

what is the exact make and model # of your phone ?
signal strength is on the edge. What happens if you are 3-4 meters away in direct line of sight to the main wireless router with the phone and the laptop ?

signal strength is on the edge.

No, it's not:

1670182676506.png

The same iPhone through 2 walls and >30ft away. Still getting >140Mbps down speeds.

AX client:

1670182859908.png

6/1080 is because of power save mode. This client is getting >400Mbps down speeds easily.

Hi,
The wifi on my AX86U seems surprisingly slow.
I've a gigabit connection and if I run a speedtest on the router itself in the Adaptive QoS menu, I have a download speed of 855Mbps and upload speed of 325Mbps with 2.77ms ping and 0.56ms jitter, but if I run a speedtest on my phone which connects to the 5G wifi on the router, then I have 60Mbps download speed and 75Mbps upload speed with 23ms ping and 67ms jitter.
My AX86U is in mesh with an AC68U with AiMesh and I've 7 clients only with less than 1-2MBps net usage altogether currently
I've checked a lot of web pages to see how I should optimize my wifi settings (see current settings attached), but I couldn't manage to improve performance. What may be the issue?
The AC68U is limiting the capabilities of the AX86U WIFI. You would be better off to set the AC68U as an access point. That way the AX86U could use the 160 MHz. But use default WIFI settings regardless of the firmware you use.