What's new

Netgear GS724Tv3 - 30 sec lag when connecting to the internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

As i am not very experienced in building networks, i wasn't looking for the latest hardware but something solid and stable that can last x-amount of years. I bought a Netgear GS724Tv3 switch which i already installed and soon will add a EdgeRouter lite which i am just waiting to arrive. Both i bought 2nd hand via a local site. My choices for this specific hardware were driven by availability closely and various online sources on this hardware.

So far for the introduction...

I have added the Netgear switch to the network and rerouted all hardwired devices to connect to the switch with the Asus only functioning a router with the exception of both TV's that were always connected to the network via the UTP ports of both respective AP's. The switch has been configured with a static ip (192.168.1.2), the default VLAN settings and i configure p15 & p16 in LAG to support the LACP link aggregation capability of the ReadyNAS. For the rest i left everything on default except for NTP settings (which still don't work). All, in all, I would say that all worked out fairly well but i do noticed some odd behaviour for which i do not have any remedy.

1. the smart TV (initially DHCP enabled) was still connected to the network but couldn't get the gateway (192.168.1.1) yesterday. I fixed that by configuring it as a static IP with 192.168.1.1 gateway and 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 DNS servers and after that all was working again.

2. When i close a laptop and re-open it again, the wifi connects instantly but it takes up to 30 seconds before i have internet connection with existing windows that were open in the browser. If i open a new browser window and go to a different site, that works instantly. I have only seen this behavior with laptops and even with my old Plex server when it came out of sleep mode. Not have seen this with iPads or iPhones.

It is too early if the static config on the smart TV fixed the problem permanently but the big question here is what caused this to happen. What bugs me most is issue no. 2 and probably because i have no clue where to start looking.

This is a Netgear "Smart" Layer 2 switch - look out for VLAN issues, as your post indicates... sounds like you're in the deep end of the pool, where one should really start at the shallow end where you can get your feet on the ground. I would recommend resetting the Netgear switch back to factory defaults - this will put it in to a flat config - e.g. regular switch, no VLAN's, etc...

Then consider what VLAN's are really purposed for - and step lightly into it.

Netgear - for the ProSafe line, actually has some really good docs, and worth studying to understand networking in general...

Maybe one of you SME's can tell me where i am going down the drain...

screenshot-2019-03-14-at-21-19-41-png.16567
Without trying to be mean spirited, you've got a bit of a sh*tshow going on, and a lot of unknown with the Linky's there acting as Bridges...

I'd move the NG switch up one level, and then sort the backhaul out from there... look it as ethernet is layer 2, TCP/UDP and other services on top of IP are layer 3 - VLAN's are Layer 2 first...

CM <--> RT-AC88u <--> NG GS724 <--> Wired and AP's from there

Linksys SmartWiFi can be problematic in configs like this, even when bridged as AP mode, as it sometimes tries to be too helpful...

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at that first ping time, way high. The others can't be zero. Something is weird. I would at least try a different cable. If no difference I would contact Netgear.

This is why I have gone back to Cisco small business gear. They basically work with issues sometimes. I tried Netgear, TP-Link and few others. I always found basic things which did not work. It drives me crazy. I spend too much time on stuff like this.

I am the same. I can't stand it when something doesn't work. In any case, i do not know if it is because i used the ping command via the switch web interface over wifi. When i ping from my plex server to my NAS, both being connected to the switch, i believe i get fairly normal results so i am not sure if it is the ping app in the switch.

Screenshot (3).png

This is a Netgear "Smart" Layer 2 switch - look out for VLAN issues, as your post indicates... sounds like you're in the deep end of the pool, where one should really start at the shallow end where you can get your feet on the ground. I would recommend resetting the Netgear switch back to factory defaults - this will put it in to a flat config - e.g. regular switch, no VLAN's, etc...

Then consider what VLAN's are really purposed for - and step lightly into it.

Netgear - for the ProSafe line, actually has some really good docs, and worth studying to understand networking in general...

I think i did that. I haven't configured any VLAN's or other stuff. Just the basic IP config, time, DNS server and one LACP on g15/g16 for my ReadyNAS. For the rest, i haven't touched any settings.

Without trying to be mean spirited, you've got a bit of a sh*tshow going on, and a lot of unknown with the Linky's there acting as Bridges...

I'd move the NG switch up one level, and then sort the backhaul out from there... look it as ethernet is layer 2, TCP/UDP and other services on top of IP are layer 3 - VLAN's are Layer 2 first...

CM <--> RT-AC88u <--> NG GS724 <--> Wired and AP's from there

Linksys SmartWiFi can be problematic in configs like this, even when bridged as AP mode, as it sometimes tries to be too helpful...

No offense taken ;) as i agree.

Getting a cleaner network structure is exactly my plan as it grew sideways through expanding the house and . But i cannot move the EA6400 from the RT-AC88u to the NG switch until i have extended the UTP for which material has been ordered and i hope to get this completed next weekend. It was actually my plan to move the RT-AC88u also behind the switch as AP and replace it by a wired router. I bought an Edgerouter Lite for that but after having played with it for a weekend, i am concerned that configuring this thing is way beyond my network knowledge :( so as long as as i don't have a viable solution to replace the RT-AC88u it will remain as the router for the entire network.

No offense taken ;) as i agree.

Getting a cleaner network structure is exactly my plan as it grew sideways through expanding the house and . But i cannot move the EA6400 from the RT-AC88u to the NG switch until i have extended the UTP for which material has been ordered and i hope to get this completed next weekend. It was actually my plan to move the RT-AC88u also behind the switch as AP and replace it by a wired router. I bought an Edgerouter Lite for that but after having played with it for a weekend, i am concerned that configuring this thing is way beyond my network knowledge :( so as long as as i don't have a viable solution to replace the RT-AC88u it will remain as the router for the entire network.

Usually how things happen - organic growth over time :)

The ER line is pretty decent, and very feature rich - 80 percent which might not apply - same goes with managed switches, but it's nice to have the functionality there as requirements change over time.

Note on the Linky's - go thru them, and make sure things are up to date with firmware, there were a couple of issues that might bite you at some point, they pushed out updates across many models a few months back.

The ER line is pretty decent, and very feature rich - 80 percent which might not apply - same goes with managed switches, but it's nice to have the functionality there as requirements change over time.

I have built a test setup with the ER and an Asus EA-AC87 Wifi AP with 5 ports and a laptop in DHCP which i am going to use to get the configuration of the ER 100% right, no matter how long it takes. Once i get it to work entirely and stable over a period of time, i will move it into my network. No minute earlier.

Note on the Linky's - go thru them, and make sure things are up to date with firmware, there were a couple of issues that might bite you at some point, they pushed out updates across many models a few months back.

Both Linky's are on latest firmware. Up until now, they have proven to be pretty reliable and they seem to work flawless as extended ports of the NG switch and as wifi AP's. I did reset the XAC1900 to default and and then configure it as AP from scratch before hooking it up to the NG. Still need to do the same with the EA6400.

Still now luck with the SNTP. Below some screenshots. Maybe someone has a clue what i am doing wrong. I have no issue connecting to the internet with any of my devices connected to the switch wired or via WiFi through the AP's (except my thermostat but that's another thread)

Screenshot 2019-03-21 at 20.54.06.png
Screenshot 2019-03-21 at 20.54.21.png
Screenshot 2019-03-21 at 20.54.38.png
Screenshot 2019-03-21 at 20.55.01.png

It has been a very good day today! 2 network issues fixed at once!

Yesterday i was reading on the forums about the difference between static IP's and reserved IP's in the DHCP range of the router and that unfortunately the naming by some brands adds to the confusion.

Thinking about it, it occured to me i had both active, and the client side configured with a static IP and on the router side a reservation for the client IP, all within the DHCP range . My switch, NAS and Linksys access points all have a static IP configured and have an IP reservation in the router for the same static IP that i had set quite some time ago.

So i decided to follow one the recommendations given, e.g. configure all clients back to DHCP and maintain the IP reservations within the DHCP server of the router.

Doing so fixed both my switch SNTP issue instantly and also fixed my Thermostat internet connectivity issue! I don't know exactly how but i can only assume that have AND having static IP's configured that are located within the DHCP-range AND IP reservations in the DHCP server for the same IP's caused some conflicts.

In any case, another lesson learned and another step closer to a stable robust network.

Sounds like maybe your ASUS is firewalling non-DHCP clients. Not something I would wish for in a router. I would rather control my network with ACL, access control lists.

I thought i found a solution in the Netgear community but it doesn't seem to be working. I had not configured the DNS server in the switch. Now i added 192.168.1.1 to the DNS settings (as per recommendation from Netgear) but i cannot ping pool.ntp.org from the switch. It goes out but nothing comes back. Same for any other IP i try to ping via the switch. If i ping the same address from the router, i get a response.

So have you fixed being able to ping pool.ntp.org?

So have you fixed being able to ping pool.ntp.org?

Yes sir. On the moment i change the switch IP config to DHCP it appeared like a big gate went open as NTP worked instantly, i could ping every address properly.

Not sure if it is common that the ping time fluctuates between 10-20 ms but i get similar times when i ping directly from the Asus router through which the switch is connected the internet. Below screenshots of both the switch and the router.

Screenshot 2019-03-23 at 08.12.13.png

Screenshot 2019-03-23 at 08.19.32.png

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 402

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!