What's new

Netgear "Nat filtering" equivalent for asus.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

P

podkaracz

As title state. What is Asus equivalent to netgear's nat filtering?

What part of NG's implementation are you asking about?

All routers do NAT. They're not routers without it.

What part of NG's implementation are you asking about?

All routers do NAT. They're not routers without it.

Nat filtering is a netgear feature that can be set either to secured or open. Im not 100% sure but ive been reading a lot about similar options and closest seems to be asus nat implementation of symmetric and fullcone. The thing is nat filtering can make it to open on netgear and from what ive seen asus does not allow this but its only avaliable on merlin firmware with the exception that fullcone makes it moderate and not open when it comes to merlin firmware @RMerlin ?.

Nat types strict/moderate/open. The open one can connect with all type of nat's and the moderate can connect with moderate and open and lastly my type of nat that is strict which can connect with open exclusevly and cant be a host of server.

There are port triggering/forwarding/upnp and dmz to help open ports and for them to work on netgear router you have to set nat filtering to open thats what some people stated. Not sure how it works on asus as i cant test it cuz im double natted by isp.

It seems Asus is bugging behind Netgear when it comes to gaming features.
1). Joke of a wtfast version that has nothing to do with an acutal wtfast programs which is not visible on any advertisment that asus has its own version of wtfast that from my experience works like they have sahara and arctica hosts that add ping instead of removing it compared to netgear geofilter that makes finding closest host for a game.
2) Fullcone support compared to asus not even adding that option to official firmware.

The tests i saw are based on Asus rt86u and its competitor Netgear xr500.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nat filtering is a netgear feature that can be set either to secured or open. Im not 100% sure but ive been reading a lot about similar options and closest seems to be asus nat implementation of symmetric and fullcone. The thing is nat filtering can make it to open on netgear and from what ive seen asus does not allow this but its only avaliable on merlin firmware with the exception that fullcone makes it moderate and not open when it comes to merlin firmware @RMerlin ?.

Nat types strict/moderate/open. The open one can connect with all type of nat's and the moderate can connect with moderate and open and lastly my type of nat that is strict which can connect with open exclusevly and cant be a host of server.

There are port triggering/forwarding/upnp and dmz to help open ports and for them to work on netgear router you have to set nat filtering to open thats what some people stated. Not sure how it works on asus as i cant test it cuz im double natted by isp.

It seems Asus is bugging behind Netgear when it comes to gaming features.
1). Joke of a wtfast version that has nothing to do with an acutal wtfast programs which is not visible on any advertisment that asus has its own version of wtfast that from my experience works like they have sahara and arctica hosts that add ping instead of removing it compared to netgear geofilter that makes finding closest host for a game.
2) Fullcone support compared to asus not even adding that option to official firmware.

The tests i saw are based on Asus rt86u and its competitor Netgear xr500.

Does the Asus Open NAT feature help?

[Wireless Router] How to set up OpenNAT? | Official Support | ASUS Global

OE

This is a new feature that in my eyes automates the process that you had to do manually before that is
step 1. visit portforward.com to find out what ports each game uses and if its tcp or udp
step 2. open those ports manually using port forwarding on asus router

This feature is just automation of those steps under nice name but you could achieve the same before but manually. Implementation of wtfast in asus compared to actual wtfast program should disqualify any1 that got interested by their marketing as its just a manipulative lie.

This feature has nothing to do with fullcone/symmetric nat tho as its just port forwarding.

Asus has quite a few incoming features in the pipeline, including some that aren't available on any Netgear router at this time. I just can't say more for now because Asus hasn't publicly announced anything yet, and some of these incoming features haven't started appearing in the public GPL code yet either. But I know from my exchanges with their engineers that they are coming.

Asus has quite a few incoming features in the pipeline, including some that aren't available on any Netgear router at this time. I just can't say more for now because Asus hasn't publicly announced anything yet, and some of these incoming features haven't started appearing in the public GPL code yet either. But I know from my exchanges with their engineers that they are coming.

Thank you for your mysterious answer is this a veiled way to suggest that fullcone nat is comming to official release as its beeing present in your releases for quite some time? Also if you could explain how netgears nat filtering is affecting their upnp and port forwarding as it seems asus equivalent is fullcone nat. Most people says that without nat filtering in open mode their upnp is not working as intented or is not working at all when using netgear routers ( example xr500). Is this the case for asus routers and fullcone nat?

Thank you for your mysterious answer is this a veiled way to suggest that fullcone nat is comming to official release as its beeing present in your releases for quite some time? Also if you could explain how netgears nat filtering is affecting their upnp and port forwarding as it seems asus equivalent is fullcone nat. Most people says that without nat filtering in open mode their upnp is not working as intented or is not working at all when using netgear routers ( example xr500). Is this the case for asus routers and fullcone nat?
In certain models on Merlin fork of the Asus firmware there is full cone Nat option, but it's limited to HND units like the RT AX 88U for example.

I'm hoping that includes FQ_Codel for adaptive QoS is one of those updates, and possibly a VPN to my home network like ubquity has they call theirs teleport.

Mabye in the not so distant future cake in adaptive QoS but I won't hold my breath for it.

In certain models on Merlin fork of the Asus firmware there is full cone Nat option, but it's limited to HND units like the RT AX 88U for example.

I was reading some posts about it not working on other than HND units but id like @RMerlin to describe how this feature affects unpn and port forwarding as on netgear forums it seems they advise to change "nat filtering" to open for those features to work properly.

I hope post wont get deleted as censorship is big in this one so its waste of time to write new posts when mine are deleted but spammers are not getting posts removed.
lul.png

I was reading some posts about it not working on other than HND units but id like @RMerlin to describe how this feature affects unpn and port forwarding as on netgear forums it seems they advise to change "nat filtering" to open for those features to work properly.

I hope post wont get deleted as censorship is big in this one so its waste of time to write new posts when mine are deleted but spammers are not getting posts removed.View attachment 28672
It works exactly the same as Netgears does and I haven't had any issues with it on my AX 88U.

Censorship is not an issue here, just be chill like me and you will get along with everyone here fine, the only thing may be language barriers especially with people that are non native English speakers but that's about it as far as I remember.

But most of those people usually clarify first that English is not Thier first language.

It works exactly the same as Netgears does and I haven't had any issues with it on my AX 88U.

But i asked how does it work and why ive seen posts on netgear forum stating that if its disabled upnp and port forwarding is not working properly? Some insight from @RMerlin would be great as hes the one who enabled it so probably knows best. Like what is the difference with it on/off for upnp and port forwarding. If there is no difference why is it there in the first place? Thats what interests me.

But i asked how does it work and why ive seen posts on netgear forum stating that if its disabled upnp and port forwarding is not working properly? Some insight from @RMerlin would be great as hes the one who enabled it so probably knows best. Like what is the difference with it on/off for upnp and port forwarding. If there is no difference why is it there in the first place? Thats what interests me.
Here's a good writeup by another user from here on the topic, it might explain it better.

Here's a good writeup by another user from here on the topic, it might explain it better.

Quote from your link:
" Asus Merlin himself lists Full-Cone-NAT support only for the RT-AC86U so it might seem like something have happened in the codebase after 384.x that has changed how NAT behaves so it's no longer possible to get Full Cone NAT unless you have the RT-AC86U where you supposedly are able to pick it manually in the settings. "

Lucky me ill need to switch to merlin firmware for use of my rt86u to get fullcone as its not supported on official firmware. It seems like without this option it defaults to symmetric and that closes open nat in games so my concept based on some opinions of nat type having impact on upnp/port forwarding was right.

Summary: Dont buy asus routers if you want to get open nat since only few models are supported ( the most expensive ones atm) and you cant have it by default only 3rd party that merlin is might deliver it.

Quote from your link:
" Asus Merlin himself lists Full-Cone-NAT support only for the RT-AC86U so it might seem like something have happened in the codebase after 384.x that has changed how NAT behaves so it's no longer possible to get Full Cone NAT unless you have the RT-AC86U where you supposedly are able to pick it manually in the settings. "

Lucky me ill need to switch to merlin firmware for use of my rt86u to get fullcone as its not supported on official firmware. It seems like without this option it defaults to symmetric and that closes open nat in games so my concept based on some opinions of nat type having impact on upnp/port forwarding was right.

Summary: Dont buy asus routers if you want to get open nat since only few models are supported ( the most expensive ones atm) and you cant have it by default only 3rd party that merlin is might deliver it.
There is more units that support it but if memory serves correctly it's the newer units I'd give it time probably isn't long till it makes it into stock, I'll have to see if the original author is available to update the article.

There is more units that support it but if memory serves correctly it's the newer units I'd give it time probably isn't long till it makes it into stock, I'll have to see if the original author is available to update the article.

Yes as we discussed it earlier it is for HND models so 86u and above probably which makes my sentence true that only the most expensive routers offer this on 3rd party and not out of the box like for example netgear does and on much wider scale that is for cheaper routers too. And as @RMerlin said somewhere it was part of the code but disabled and he enabled it so its not like he created it himself which might suggest that asus was/is working on it.

After setting up remote help with isp i finally solved double nat problem and im finally able to fix my connection issues. All jumping ping is gone. Everything is smooth and rock solid. Router is secure too cuz before when the first nat was blocking it showed "closed" in shields up test and now with 86u all ports are stealth so its even better according to this test.

Do you know sites like shields up that helps probing my ports and upnp for defense ?

Aha and to all who says nat means nothing. You could not be more wrong thats all i wanted to say.

After setting up remote help with isp i finally solved double nat problem and im finally able to fix my connection issues. All jumping ping is gone. Everything is smooth and rock solid. Router is secure too cuz before when the first nat was blocking it showed "closed" in shields up test and now with 86u all ports are stealth so its even better according to this test.

Do you know sites like shields up that helps probing my ports and upnp for defense ?

Aha and to all who says nat means nothing. You could not be more wrong thats all i wanted to say.

It was suggested months ago when you first started blaming Asus AiMesh, then their firmware, then their hardware, then their NAT implementation, and always other members here trying to help you... that you ISP connection was the likely source of your troubles. It's about time you finally got it taken care of.

OE

Last edited:
It was suggested months ago when you first started blaming Asus AiMesh, then their firmware, then their hardware, then their NAT implementation, and always other members here trying to help you... that you ISP connection was the likely source of your troubles. It's about time you finally got it taken care of.

OE

Many people here said that it has nothing to do with nat (double nat was the problem in my case as modem was not in bridge mode or smth) and they were wrong so its not like people help they often missguide you too but thanks once more for those who helped. I did some testing on my own and what i said was true. If you are looking for a router that offers open nat asus should not be your choice as of right now its not officialy supported and can be run only on small amount of premium routers (hnd) running merlin firmware with option fullcone nat ticked.