What's new

Netgear Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router (R9000)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I was just curious about my upgrade options and the price... WOW!... My desktop PC is cheaper than my upgrade options.
I am looking for a mini board that supports SMB3 and sata. So any Pi or mini pc boards. Anyone have any suggestions? I am more interested in something with open source support rather than an expensive plug and pray type set up, like the giant prebuilt nas boxes.
I barely have any wifi devices so it seems like r9000 model is not really a good fit for me, considering that I could buy an entire mini pc and do the same thing.
Thanks.

I was just curious about my upgrade options and the price... WOW!... My desktop PC is cheaper than my upgrade options.
I am looking for a mini board that supports SMB3 and sata. So any Pi or mini pc boards. Anyone have any suggestions? I am more interested in something with open source support rather than an expensive plug and pray type set up, like the giant prebuilt nas boxes.
I barely have any wifi devices so it seems like r9000 model is not really a good fit for me, considering that I could buy an entire mini pc and do the same thing.
Thanks.

R9000 may not be a good fit, but there are many other options available. Much better than Pi for routing duties too.

What are your requirements? Your expectations? Your environment?

What is your current router and client device overview?

R9000 may not be a good fit, but there are many other options available. Much better than Pi for routing duties too.

What are your requirements? Your expectations? Your environment?

What is your current router and client device overview?

I currently have a r7500v2 with the latest DD-WRT nightly. I am using a WD 12TB easystore (the USB 3.0 interface) as a Samba share. I have been unable to get more than 45MB/s access either way, which started me looking for options.
I then started looking into the pineboards and the rockchip 3399, and into some mediatek stuff. All of it looks very exciting to play with, but upon reading the forums and finding out that certain things to do not work and on many of the boards you only have eMMC as a boot option (which takes normal installation out of the picture). To make it worse every board has different quirks, and each board has more boot options while others do not.
I am currently thinking about the nanopc t4, but the information about the wifi chip is no where to be found yet.

I am not a business, and my resources are very limited. Essentially what I am using off storage for is to back up photos, and videos, and all my overflow projects where I was working on source code and gave up interest and abandoned the project (LoL).

I am currently using netgear 7500v2 as my samba server, but the performance over USB3.0 is abysmal. I am thankful it works mind you, I mean this is open source after all and if anything works at all it is usually a benevolent miracle. I want to eventually get another 12TB drive to mirror the first and one more drive as my spare dump drive for all my clutter. These SBC's seem a very good place to start do this, and some of them even come with pre-made cases. So keeping the cost down and providing me a way to update the software seems like a plus plus. I could run openmediavault or something else and possibly even use it as a mediocre wifi ap later on down the road.

My environment is just a limited budget tinkerer that is willing to experiment.
What I am looking for is something that will give me the maximum speeds that gigabit is supposedly rated for, instead of 1/3rd like the netgear 7500v2 is giving me. 1-5% difference for me is not really something I would quibble over. At first I thought my speed problems might be cable/switch related, but I put a known good cat6 cable straight from my computer to the 7500v2 and I am still maxing out at 45MB/s. The device in question easily gets over 130MB/s if connected locally through sata or USB 3.0 on the same enclosure. So you can see why I am looking.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!