What's new

Netgear Orbi RBK 852 Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

muusicman

New Around Here
I have the Netgear Orbi RBK 852 Router. It comes with 1 RBR 852 and 1 RBS 850. I have various issues. From slower speeds to frequent disconnects. I first got the router in 2020. I had SpaceX Starlink as my ISP at that time. Just about a year ago our small town got 1 gbps fiber. Worked great with the Orbi at first. After a few months I noticed the ping went up and the download and upload speed went down a bit. I think my house was one of the first in my neighborhood to get hooked up so perhaps that’s why it was so great in the beginning. I know nothing about all this stuff. I’m disabled and in poor health. The internet is really my only window to the world. I just want my speed to be as fast as it can be. I need help trying to diagnose my issues. My modem is a Calix 803G. If that helps.

Thanks in advance.

The Orbi 850 series just had a new firmware release not long ago. Log into the Orbi app and run a firmware check. If no new firmware is available power down the Orbi for 2 full minutes then start by powering the router back on first once that’s up then put power back to the satellite Orbi and wait for the LED to turn blue. See if that helps. Orbi’s can be very temperamental at times.

The Orbi 850 series just had a new firmware release not long ago. Log into the Orbi app and run a firmware check. If no new firmware is available power down the Orbi for 2 full minutes then start by powering the router back on first once that’s up then put power back to the satellite Orbi and wait for the LED to turn blue. See if that helps. Orbi’s can be very temperamental at times.
Unfortunately I’ve done all of this. At the beginning of each month I always power cycle all of it. I unplug my ONT from the wall outlet, unplug Orbi router from surge protector, unplug satellite unit from surge protector and I also unplug my un managed Ethernet switch. I wait about 1-2 minutes. I then plug the ONT back in… I then wait for the lights to all come on solid geeen. Once that’s done I start by plugging the Orbi router back in. I let it start up completely. It blinks on and off white for a bit and then it kinda pulses. Kinda like the white at the bottom fades in and out and eventually it stops doing that and is just shows no night. I figure it’s connected by that point. Then I plug in the satellite and let it start up completely until it stops showing the white light too. Finally I plug the unmanaged switch back in. That’s all I do. For some reason, when I first got fiber, it was insanely fast! Now not as much. IDK what the deal is. I’d buy a new and better router but the reason I went with mesh is to have consistant Wi-Fi throughout the house. Which I do. It is just slower than this time last year. Also, at the time… this Orbi got great reviews. If I were to go with a regular router I’d probably have dead spots again. I know that you can hard wire AP’s to the router and it’s supposed to help but I live with my grandma. She’s 90 years old and has foebidden me from connecting an Ethernet cable to the main Orbi router and dropping it down through the floor of the room the router is in, running it all the way across the basement and up through the floor in our dining room where my satellite is to hook it via an Ethernet cable. I asked her about using the MoCa setup and she said she took our old co-ax we once had out completely. Disconnected it and everything. I have a hookup in my room I think but that’s where the main Orbi is. No point in that now.

Coax has to come in from outside there should be a tap outside where the coax comes in reconnect if needed then use a couple coax in the house with moca adapters. If the house has cable tv then there is coax still hanging around

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!