What's new

Netgear Orbi vs two routers over a cable

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't understand your question. Are you asking about Orbi?

The post was about "Netgear Orbi vs two routers over a cable, So question is about the TWO routers.

If the Ethernet backhaul is when the second router is set as AP? (Router----cat6----->Router in "AP mode")

And the Netgear EX7000 has a "FastLane mode" in WIFI 2,4/5 GHz band to connect to the router, is that a kind off a backhaul?
15095016_1264341603628563_4384058108155728968_n.jpg

Last edited:
If the Ethernet backhaul is when the second router is set as AP or in Media Brigde Mode? (Router----cat6----->Router in "AP/media bridge mode")
Media bridge mode sets the router to connect via wireless to a base router. Use AP mode if you want Ethernet backhaul.

And the Netgear EX7000 has a "FastLane mode" in WIFI 2,4/5 GHz band to connect to the router, is that a kind off a backhaul?
Any media used to provide a network connection to APs is considered backhaul. Wireless extenders usually receive, then retransmit packets using the same radio. "FastLane" receives with one radio and transmits with the other, avoiding the retransmission throughput penalty.

So if Netgears Routers could have this "FastLane" mode in a 3 bands router they could receive in both 2,5/5GHz from clients and transmite back to the Router in 5GHz, like the orbi?

So if Netgears Routers could have this "FastLane" mode in a 3 bands router they could receive in both 2,5/5GHz from clients and transmite back to the Router in 5GHz, like the orbi?
I wouldn't call it FastLane, which has a specific function. But, yes, "tri-radio/band" AC3200 and AC5400 class routers could dedicate one of the 5 GHz radios to backhaul.

But those routers don't let you configure any of the radios in wireless bridge modes. I know, I checked.

Would it be difficult to add such a function for a 3rd party FW maker?

Would it be difficult to add such a function for a 3rd party FW maker?
This has been discussed in other threads. Broadcom's API doesn't support it. Would be very difficult to get past that.

Many business grade APs have features to make device roaming smoother. Mesh systems (eero, Luma, Orbi) all include this.

Edimax, Ubiquiti, EnGenius, ZyXEL all make access point systems with enhanced roaming features. Linksys Pro APs, notably, do not support smoother roaming.
I'm glad I found this thread and your post. I have a house wired with CAT5e to every room in the house but I still need WiFi. Given that I have a gigabit Ethernet backhaul, I think it makes sense to go with one of the solutions you mentioned above versus an Orbi or Portal solution which use a wireless backhaul.

Are there any shoot outs/comparisons of wired backhaul multi-point systems? I'm looking through the reviews but am quickly getting overwhelmed/lost.

Are there any shoot outs/comparisons of wired backhaul multi-point systems? I'm looking through the reviews but am quickly getting overwhelmed/lost.
No. I don't run tests with Ethernet backhaul.

I run an ASUS ac3200 and an apple AirPort Extreme in this way to get full coverage - all bands on both routers run same SSID - get very few issues
I would expect that. But most users are not going to have Ethernet available for backhaul. That's sorta the key point of these mesh systems.

I would expect that. But most users are not going to have Ethernet available for backhaul. That's sorta the key point of these mesh systems.

Yes.. agreed.. just wanted the OP to know that it can work if you have Ethernet available..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you also use power line adapters for back haul? I know they seem to be the red headed step child of networking but they seem to offer a feasible solution to expand wi-fi coverage if you have an old router that you can turn into an AP.

Last edited:
No. I don't run tests with Ethernet backhaul.
That's a shame as I would like to see the differences in things like management of multiple access points and also clients moving seamlessly between them for offerings from Edimax, Ubiquiti, EnGenius, and ZyXEL. However I understand you can't review everything and that most people are probably more concerned with the wireless mesh systems versus an Ethernet backhaul based system.

I'm glad I found this thread and your post. I have a house wired with CAT5e to every room in the house but I still need WiFi. Given that I have a gigabit Ethernet backhaul, I think it makes sense to go with one of the solutions you mentioned above versus an Orbi or Portal solution which use a wireless backhaul.

I've tried this with a couple of EAP1750H and LAPAC2600s - from what I can tell the client sensitivity for roaming is the key point and I've never got it to work properly in a multi storey home regardless of the AP config.

I was thinking of trying it again with either the Velop or Google Wifi which appear to support a wired backhaul.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!