What's new

Netgear R7000 - anyone tried VPN client yet?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sky 1111 cool how did you do it?

It looks like you are running OpenVPN server and connecting to your home network from outside - that's cool, but that's not what I was asking.

Did anybody try to install OpenVPN client and use with VPN service providers such as Private Internet Access, or Astrill, etc.? (so your entire home network internet goes thru VPN)

I have such setup with ASUS AC56U router and works fine (using Merlin firmware)

Sky1111 how did you do setup the ASUS AC56U exactly? i also have that router and i am trying to install OpenVPN client and use with VPN service providers such as Private Internet Access, or Mullvad, etc.? (so my entire home network internet goes thru VPN) my router is already flashed with DD-WRT, though, not Merlin. And i am on macs. Can you like PM or answer me here Please i would be eternally grateful. i was using this as a guide. https://mullvad.net/en/setup/ddwrt/

Yes, I am using Open VPN with ExpressVPN. I configure my TP link router with it and it working great for me. If you are having problem of choosing right VPN Provider for you then you can check the Best VPN Software Providers . I choose my provider and get 35% discount from it.

I've configured the R7000 with OpenVPN and Private Internet Access and had 2 issues. One was speed. The VPN has a lot of overhead and I found that I didn't get anywhere the speeds without the VPN. Second, I found that it dropped quite often and I didn't know so my traffic was not being routed. Now the second one could have been me but I don't think so.

Ok I registered to this forum because I felt I should reply to this thread. First of all, I would like to express my gratitude to all the developers and contributors who develop customized firmware, fix problems, share their experiences, and help others by taking the time and making the effort to respond to people's queries...

In summary, people like dd-wrt, tomato, and asus merlin firmware not necessarily in the same order. In my opinion, I like merlin the best because it provides near stock firmware performance (speed and range). In fact, it is almost the same asus router stock firmware with very minor changes and tweaks.

So why am I writing this long and perhaps boring response? Bc I am yet to find one forum thread that actually tells novices like me that you can actually configure VPN client on your Netgear R7000 stock firmware and without flashing a third party software. Yes, you read right. You don't have to flash a different firmware if your only aim is to configure your ExpressVPN or PIA VPN client directly in your router. However, the stock firmware would only support LT2P and PPTP VPN clients. It does not support OpenVPN protocol. From my own experience and playing around, I don't honestly see a big advantage of using OpenVPN over LT2P. Someone may reply to my post and say it is more popular and more secure. That is fair enough. However, comparing VPN speeds, I found OpenVPN and LT2P very similar so I am happy to know that I can stay with the Netgear stock firmware now, get the latest firmware and driver updates from Netgear, enjoy the best performance (range and speed), AND make use of my ExpressVPN subscription. How did I find this out? By pure coincidence and trial and error! No one seems to talk about this option on the popular forums...

Last edited:
To follow up on my previous reply and in case someone is still interested in this thread and would like to know how to configure LT2P or PPTP VPN client on your Netgear R7000 stock firmware, I will try to summarize the steps below. Please note that I am currently at work so I am going to write the steps off the top of my head. Also, note that I have an ExpressVPN subscription:
  1. Go to the internet settings
  2. Check the box "yes I have a username and password for my internet account"
  3. Enter your VPN server name, your username and password, and choose either LT2P or PPTP
  4. Apply your changes
  5. The router internet LED will blink RED as it tries to reestablish internet connection so be patient and give it 10 to 20 seconds
  6. If you entered your VPN details correctly, the router internet LED will eventually turn back to GREEN as the connection is restored
  7. Check your IP address to confirm you are now routed via your VPN provider
  8. Test your VPN speed using speedtest.net
  9. If you want to turn your VPN off and revert back to your local ISP, simply go back to your internet settings and check the box "No I don't have a username and password for my internet account"
  10. Apply your changes and wait another 10 to 20 seconds for the LED to go RED and GREEN again and you are good

To follow up on my previous reply and in case someone is still interested in this thread and would like to know how to configure LT2P or PPTP VPN client on your Netgear R7000 stock firmware, I will try to summarize the steps below. Please note that I am currently at work so I am going to write the steps off the top of my head. Also, note that I have an ExpressVPN subscription:
  1. Go to the internet settings
  2. Check the box "yes I have a username and password for my internet account"
  3. Enter your VPN server name, your username and password, and choose either LT2P or PPTP
  4. Apply your changes
  5. The router internet LED will blink RED as it tries to reestablish internet connection so be patient and give it 10 to 20 seconds
  6. If you entered your VPN details correctly, the router internet LED will eventually turn back to GREEN as the connection is restored
  7. Check your IP address to confirm you are now routed via your VPN provider
  8. Test your VPN speed using speedtest.net
  9. If you want to turn your VPN off and revert back to your local ISP, simply go back to your internet settings and check the box "No I don't have a username and password for my internet account"
  10. Apply your changes and wait another 10 to 20 seconds for the LED to go RED and GREEN again and you are good

Thanks a lot, very useful information!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!