What's new

Netgear R7000 - anyone tried VPN client yet?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sky1111

Guys, did anyone tried to run OpenVPN client on R7000? I assume that it will require use of DD-WRT.

And if yes, what performance are you getting (nonVPN vs VPN speeds vs VPN on PC speeds)

thanks in advance!

I was going to try the open vpn on the r7000 after reading http://openvpn.net/index.php/download/community-downloads.html
The issue I ran into, was setting up the r7000 to use my dyndns account.
No matter what I try, I cannot get the r7000 to successfully connect to my dyn account.
I think it is not even trying since with the free dyndns you will get a lockout if too many attempts to update are made in a 24hr period & I am not getting any lockouts from dyndns.

Since the creator of the instructions indicated you really want a dns resolver going first I stopped there. Don't want a 2nd dns domain to remember either.

I am waiting for whatever next firmware release netgear will release to see if it fixes the dyndns issue I am having.

I need to know this also , thinking about buying a nighthawk. Need to see how fast the openvpn client is. Mainly using it to connect to a third party VPN and have about 4 devices behind the router.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ran through the rather straight forward directions for configuring the openvpn.

Installed the client, placed the Netgear files in the appropriate fields & tested.
The openvpn client connects BUT I am not acquiring the dhcp information & according to the vpn client log, it appears there is another issue as well.

Since the Netgear directions seem to only assume your success there isn't anything for "if this, do that.".
I do not feel like going over to the openvpn help pages to determine what the Netgear r7000 router isn't doing right.
I say its the router since the config files for the client are created on the router then you save & unzip them to your client config folder.

Attachments

• Netgear.jpg
    Netgear.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,426
***Update***

So I gave it a try today. I now get a valid home LAN ip address.
Not sure if all the traffic is going over the tunnel. I use ipchicken.com & it is showing my work internet address & it should be showing my home WAN addy.
I verified that on the r7000 openvpn page I chose to have all traffic flow over the tunnel.
I can access home LAN from work over the tunnel but when doing a web based "who am I" it is showing my works internet address.

Using the same configuration I built per the instructions on the router.

The biggest difference between now & the first attempt; On the first attempt I was in the LAN side of the r7000 & TeamViewer'd into a remote network pc.

I am at the remote location physically now so thought I would give it a try.
Running windows 7 & made sure to set the desktop icon to run as administrator.

As for how fast it is, I cant tell you currently as the Internet connection here at work is pretty congested so testing IMO would be skewed down.

I also see that kong has released a firmware for this router. You can google to find it. It has been out for 2 days now.

***Update***

Not sure if all the traffic is going over the tunnel. I use ipchicken.com & it is showing my work internet address & it should be showing my home WAN addy.
I verified that on the r7000 openvpn page I chose to have all traffic flow over the tunnel.
I can access home LAN from work over the tunnel but when doing a web based "who am I" it is showing my works internet address.

The biggest difference between now & the first attempt; On the first attempt I was in the LAN side of the r7000 & TeamViewer'd into a remote network pc.

As for how fast it is, I cant tell you currently as the Internet connection here at work is pretty congested so testing IMO would be skewed down.

I also see that kong has released a firmware for this router. You can google to find it. It has been out for 2 days now.

It looks like you are running OpenVPN server and connecting to your home network from outside - that's cool, but that's not what I was asking.

Did anybody try to install OpenVPN client and use with VPN service providers such as Private Internet Access, or Astrill, etc.? (so your entire home network internet goes thru VPN)

I have such setup with ASUS AC56U router and works fine (using Merlin firmware)

I asked similar questions of this nature as in connecting to an VPN provider like boleh etc

I can only assume since openvpn software is currently using 1 core, 1ghz will get you not too much speed over the normal routers. Maybe about 18-20meg speeds once connected to the VPN.

Just a estimate of course so cant be 100% sure, on my Asus RT-N16 while connected to mullvad vpn I hit around 10meg max and that cpu was a 480mhz, so in theory I just doubled the estimate.

Issue with any router while under an openvpn or vpn provider is cpu performance, seems no routers out there will really help to get good speeds while under a VPN provider.

Pfsense firewall and a cpu with AES instructions and an intel 3ghz+ seems the winning ticket. AES cuts cpu usage under an VPN which uses AES support by up to 60-70% giving great speeds and performance. (100meg+ VPN) has been shown even with a celeron 2.8ghz cpu under pfsense before but without the AES it hit 90+ cpu usage, with a cpu with AES it hit under 20-25ish% usage.

VPN Speed

Every year when my annual VPN contract comes up for renewal I test several possible providers to see which company can provide the fastest speeds.

This year it was even more important as I have moved to a FIOS service area and I have a 75/35 Mbps connection when connected to my local ISP.

I tested three VPN providers; StrongVPN, Astrill and IPVanish. Only with StrongVPN could I get download speeds of 60+ Mbps running OpenVPN on my network router setup. The other providers consistently tested between 30 - 50 Mbps.

The point being network hardware isn't the only variable when determining what your network throughput will be when using a VPN.

Every year when my annual VPN contract comes up for renewal I test several possible providers to see which company can provide the fastest speeds.

This year it was even more important as I have moved to a FIOS service area and I have a 75/35 Mbps connection when connected to my local ISP.

I tested three VPN providers; StrongVPN, Astrill and IPVanish. Only with StrongVPN could I get download speeds of 60+ Mbps running OpenVPN on my network router setup. The other providers consistently tested between 30 - 50 Mbps.

The point being network hardware isn't the only variable when determining what your network throughput will be when using a VPN.

Correct. And that is why I always compare 3 speeds:

- direct internet access
- VPN client installed on a reasonable system (hardwired of course)
- VPN client installed on the router

Guys, has anyone gotten this to work successfully? I am at my wits end trying to make the latest build of dd-wrt to work with OpenVPN with my provider. I get a successful connection but I can't browse the internet at all.

Connections via my Tomato-based Asus N-66U or the Windows client work just fine. It's the OpenVPN client on the latest build for the R7000 that just won't work.

DD-WRT v24-sp2 (02/07/14) kongac - build 23550M

Guys, has anyone gotten this to work successfully? I am at my wits end trying to make the latest build of dd-wrt to work with OpenVPN with my provider. I get a successful connection but I can't browse the internet at all.

Connections via my Tomato-based Asus N-66U or the Windows client work just fine. It's the OpenVPN client on the latest build for the R7000 that just won't work.

DD-WRT v24-sp2 (02/07/14) kongac - build 23550M

Have you asked this question on the dd-wrt forum? You're more likely to get help on such a specific dd-wrt issue there:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=177443

Have you asked this question on the dd-wrt forum? You're more likely to get help on such a specific dd-wrt issue there:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=177443

Unlikely actually, those guys are focused on the OS more than a component of it. I have read the entire thread and I have almost a decade's worth of experience with DD-WRT and five years with OpenVPN on it.

However, it's probably worth asking in the advanced networking forum for dd-wrt. I thought I would try here first since someone had already started a thread.

Hi,
I am on latest beta f/w which seems to have fixed many glitches. Heard it'll be released towards end of this month. On dd-wrt forum I have not seen discussions on VPN, sign of
all is good? Kong said latest release is at mature stage except IPV6 of course(dd-wrt is lacing this so far) If you want to try beta version please PM.

Hi,
I am on latest beta f/w which seems to have fixed many glitches. Heard it'll be released towards end of this month. On dd-wrt forum I have not seen discussions on VPN, sign of
all is good? Kong said latest release is at mature stage except IPV6 of course(dd-wrt is lacing this so far) If you want to try beta version please PM.

I think that the OP was talking about dd-wrt, not beta's of Netgear firmware, but I could be wrong. While dd-wrt has the VPN client and server, I think that Netgear firmware only has the VPN server.

On the other hand, you might look for the new Netgear beta that just became available today from the R7000 thread on AVS forum, 1.0.3.24_1.1.20

I'm having issues getting a DHCP address as well. How did people resolve this?

I just went with the default setup, generated the files and it connects without any errors but won't give me an address and I can't connect to my LAN's resources.

Netgear 7000 no local DHCP

I am having the same issue, so i feel better that it is most likely not me or my setup. Did you get this resolved? If yes how?

***Update***

Hello Where HAVE YOU BEEN All These While?
I run into the same problem on Windows 8 and have searched and searched, googled and googled but could not find a solution to this problem. I think you are the best person to help me solve this.
How did you go about it? I want to resolve this problem.
Please help me out.

I have seen the problem! And now I have solved it.

I installed the Client on 32 bit Windows operating systems and it worked perfectly but 64 bit systems failed to assign the IPv4 IP Addresses.

So I realize that the issue was about installing the 64 bit Open VPN on 64 bit Operating System.

So what I did was to uninstall Open VPN Clients from Windows 64 bits and delete the OPen VPN file from Program Files(64 bit side).

You may need to restart your computer to be able to delete it.

Now Install the 32 bit version of the Open VPN Client on the 64 bit operating system.

Make sure it is installed at C:\ Program Files (x86)

Then reconnect and see your connection working perfectly

NOTE: NETGEAR AND OPEN VPN have to work on 64 bit operating system issue.

Solved??

Glad you got it to work. I also tried it on a Win7 64 bit system. I will try to uninstall it and try it on a 32bit process. I will let you know how it works out.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!